Metallica "Black album"

Ultimate Riff

I always saw that album as Metallica trying to capitalize on the success of "Appetite for Destruction." All their albums before GNR became famous had long songs and weren't really mainstream-friendly. Then they saw that it was possible to make songs that were both really loud and heavy, and also accessible to the general public. There's a lot of good stuff on that album, but it kinda signaled the beginning of their selling out.

I always saw that album as Metallica trying to capitalize on the success of "Appetite for Destruction."  All their albums before GNR became famous had long songs and weren't really mainstream-friendly.  Then they saw that it was possible to make songs that were both really loud and heavy, and also accessible to the general public.  There's a lot of good stuff on that album, but it kinda signaled the beginning of their selling out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bah no way, first GN'R arn't "loud and heavy" lol.

The Use Your Illusions were twice the sell-out The Black Album was.

Infact, i like the Black Album better than AFD, thats right, you heard me.

I always saw that album as Metallica trying to capitalize on the success of "Appetite for Destruction."  All their albums before GNR became famous had long songs and weren't really mainstream-friendly.  Then they saw that it was possible to make songs that were both really loud and heavy, and also accessible to the general public.  There's a lot of good stuff on that album, but it kinda signaled the beginning of their selling out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bah no way, first GN'R arn't "loud and heavy" lol.

The Use Your Illusions were twice the sell-out The Black Album was.

Infact, i like the Black Album better than AFD, thats right, you heard me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah me too.

I find it very under-rated and quite good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Underrated, Pffft...Are you retarded? :blink:

It's the best selling album, and most people who like Metallica claim this to be their favorite Metallica album...Unless your a 'True Fan', then this is the point where Metallica went crap, and everything before this album was over 100 times better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the best selling album, and most people who like Metallica claim this to be their favorite Metallica album...Unless your a 'True Fan', then this is the point where Metallica went crap, and everything before this album was over 100 times better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't find Metallica to go crap, i found there music wasn't as good as it was before but never the less i still respect them all a hell of a lot.

I'm constantly confused as to why it's loved so much, actually.

Every album up until then was superior, and both Load and Reload were far more musically interesting albums than The Black Album.

It's an alright disc, but easily the blandest, most vanilla in Metallica's catalogue. Only Sad But True stands out for me.

I'm constantly confused as to why it's loved so much, actually.

Every album up until then was superior, and both Load and Reload were far more musically interesting albums than The Black Album.

It's an alright disc, but easily the blandest, most vanilla in Metallica's catalogue. Only Sad But True stands out for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sad But True is fucking awesome but i reckon Nothing Else Matters owns it hard!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WORD! i effin hate the "black" album. and i hated all the bandwagon Metallica "fans" it created. i liked it better when the songs were 7 minutes long, with tons of cool riffs, i.e. euro-metal. when they got Bob Rock-ed it ruined what i loved about Metallica and they became just another band.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WORD! i effin hate the "black" album. and i hated all the bandwagon Metallica "fans" it created. i liked it better when the songs were 7 minutes long, with tons of cool riffs, i.e. euro-metal. when they got Bob Rock-ed it ruined what i loved about Metallica and they became just another band.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOT WORD

If you are a true Metallica fan you love everything Metallica have made and done <_<

Edited by Desperado

It was the first Metallica album I heard, and at the time I thought it was great.

But then I listened to Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning, ...And Justice For All, and Kill 'Em All, and that completely change my view on TBA.

Although there are some good songs (like Sad But True and The Unforgiven), the rest is average/mediocre, and the good stuff doesn't even come near the 'worst' from their previous albums. It also lacks a lot of the energy and anger that was visible in the other records. I still like it though...

I despise this album. One of the biggest sell outs in metal history. They abandoned their trademark sound. Justice was so good too. Before Black the second you heard a guitar riff you knew it was Metallica. On Black they sound like a hundred different bands. I think a lot of it has to do with Bob Rock replacing Flemming Rasmussin as producer.

Still, made them the $

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were making big money before Black anyway. They were selling out huge arenas and selling millions of t-shirts, etc. A great example of a band that never sold out was the mighty Led Zep. They always feuded with their record company because they did not want the name of the band on the album covers. They wanted the music to matter most. I still love Metallica for the great music they gave us in their prime, but I stopped buying their albums after Black.