Text Language

Whilst I agree in part with what you're saying -- I don't think it's a huge problem on this board, and generally speaking, newer members discover within 20 posts that they should use full words and sentences wherever possible...

True.

I admit I find it really lame when people use those annoying little shortforms because they're too lazy to type out the words in full and have no consideration for those who don't speak english as their first language. But fortunately, I'm not alone, and the majority of our members tend to put people "in their place" when they start typing in text on the forum. ;) Most of our members are intelligent and respectful of others. I like that.

.. I do like to try to type shit all good.. but somedays after school I'm just drained, and I don't need to deal with worrying about if I'll get a warning for using u.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well dude, if you're too "drained" to type "you" instead of "u" - then perhaps you should get more sleep as Patience suggested. :monkey: B)

Whilst I agree in part with what you're saying -- I don't think it's a huge problem on this board, and generally speaking, newer members discover within 20 posts that they should use full words and sentences wherever possible...

True.

I admit I find it really lame when people use those annoying little shortforms because they're too lazy to type out the words in full and have no consideration for those who don't speak english as their first language. But fortunately, I'm not alone, and the majority of our members tend to put people "in their place" when they start typing in text on the forum. ;) Most of our members are intelligent and respectful of others. I like that.

.. I do like to try to type shit all good.. but somedays after school I'm just drained, and I don't need to deal with worrying about if I'll get a warning for using u.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well dude, if you're too "drained" to type "you" instead of "u" - then perhaps you should get more sleep as Patience suggested. :monkey: B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but I really am very busy and I sleep when I can. And you kinda misunderstood me... It's not that I'm too drained to type it, I am drained, and don't want to be worrying about if I'll get a warning for a stupid little short type on accident (most of the time I type it all out); which if you read my post you'd see I said worrying about it getting a WARNING for a miss type, not typing it...

Yes I do need more sleep though, 4 hours a night for 2 weeks straight isn't good, and believe me that's not by choice.

Edited by kevin

i seriusly think that if people did alter posts it would get reduced. and as for the suggestion for a "text team" that would be good because we got reporters. but if you did have a text team then they should only have the ability to edit posts. if you did choose frequent members for it then in theory if they kept up their work text chat should be reduced.

SS.

My personal opinion is that x_patience_x should be banned :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love you too riiie :kiss:

but I doubt I will ever be banned, you see I know how to follow rules :monkey:

Edited by Guest

i seriusly think that if people did alter posts it would get reduced. and as for the suggestion for a "text team" that would be good because we got reporters. but if you did have a text team then they should only have the ability to edit posts. if you did choose frequent members for it then in theory if they kept up their work text chat should be reduced.

SS.

Um -- I think you guys are taking this obsession with text talk waaaay too far.

A 'text team'? It's a step further than it needs to be. Seriously, the problem isn't that widespread, and at the end of the day, while it's annoying - it's not a HUGE deal.

Altering posts isn't something that you want to do too often -- it's not a nice feeling to see that your post has been edited.

Anyway - I think this whole thing is going a little overboard, don't you?

Guest gnr>everything
A 'text team'? It's a step further than it needs to be. Seriously, the problem isn't that widespread, and at the end of the day, while it's annoying - it's not a HUGE deal.

Altering posts isn't something that you want to do too often -- it's not a nice feeling to see that your post has been edited.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. A text team? Wow you guys...settle down. It's not that big of a problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. A text team? Wow you guys...settle down. It's not that big of a problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do agree a text team is very much overboard. My first idea was only a suggestion to what admin perhaps could do, but at the end of the day it's his forum, so whatever decision he makes is fine by me.

Guest gnr>everything
modpower.gif

More moderation...  EXACTLY what this forum needs. :rolleyes:

If they start bugging people for little shit, then people will start to leave (more people, that is).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hit the nail on the head.

Full text works a lot better for getting ideas accross, more people can read it, and it really does sound more intelligent.

I use "text language" on my cell phone all the time, but that's because it's faster to type on a cell phone . On the Forum, I always write in full text.

There will not be any crackdown. We try not put up rules that we cannot possibly enforce. As for pinning it at the top of every Forums, we could all find a million other important things to pin at the top of every Forum..

I agree with x_Estranged_x, having a text team a little far fetched. :rolleyes:

What just did is add a mention in the Forum Rules Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) clearly mentionning why it is preferable to use full words. It's not a rule, it's a suggestion.