Bob Dylan Overated?

W. Axl Kev

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I cant listen to any of Dylans music because of his voice. It's like a lamb bleating, so horrible.

I feel the same way about pink floyd's music. Im just getting into dylan at the moment, ive really liked what ive heard so far

Erm, I think Gilmour and Waters are a gazillion times better at singing than Dylan. Hell, even Barrett is.

And thats not an opinion, its a fact ;)

Um, no. I'm sick of people overrating Pink Floyd since Live 8. They're a great band, but they don't stand next to Dylan.

EDIT: Didn't see 'at singing'.

DOUBLE EDIT: Opinion still stands about Floyd being overrrated since Live 8.

Edited by highvoltageacdc

Personally I cant listen to any of Dylans music because of his voice. It's like a lamb bleating, so horrible.

I feel the same way about pink floyd's music. Im just getting into dylan at the moment, ive really liked what ive heard so far

Erm, I think Gilmour and Waters are a gazillion times better at singing than Dylan. Hell, even Barrett is.

Um, no. I'm sick of people overrating Pink Floyd since Live 8. They're a great band, but they don't stand next to Dylan.

I don't know about since Live 8, I mean, I've always thought that way. But this isn't even about Pink Floyd anyway.

Bob Dylan, along with Elvis, might be the most important musician of the 20th century. You could say The Beatles also, but without Dylan, you don't have the 65-70 era of music by The Beatles, because Bob Dylan inspired the beginning of that. Not to mention the hundreds of other musicians inspired by him. And this was all with his lyrics. His music and voice is simple, but powerful, and it fits every song just right.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I don't know about since Live 8, I mean, I've always thought that way. But this isn't even about Pink Floyd anyway.

Bob Dylan, along with Elvis, might be the most important musician of the 20th century. You could say The Beatles also, but without Dylan, you don't have the 65-70 era of music by The Beatles, because Bob Dylan inspired the beginning of that. Not to mention the hundreds of other musicians inspired by him. And this was all with his lyrics. His music and voice is simple, but powerful, and it fits every song just right.

Not to mention showing them weed which influenced their future forays into psychadelia.

David Gilmour is a better singer than Dylan. Roger Waters? Maybe. It's irrelevant really. I've already explained why Dylan is a good singer. And it doesn't matter whether he is or not really. Who cares if he can hit an 8-octave or whatever? Does that change the message of "Only A Pawn In Their Game"? Nope.

Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is a lot better than Guns N' Roses. Emotion is the key thing. You actually feel as though someone is at the end of the road the way it is played. GN'R's has a silly phone call that makes no sense. I'll admit that Guns N' Roses' version is pretty good, and one of my favorite songs by them. But it's not Dylan's version at all. Not at all.

Bought The Essential Bob Dylan today. I just listened to a few songs, and I can honestly say that I prefer Dylan's KOHD to Gn'Rs. Even though its a bit short.

That's awesome; it's the best Dylan collection you can get. Make sure you check out some of his other great albums in the future.

Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is a lot better than Guns N' Roses. Emotion is the key thing. You actually feel as though someone is at the end of the road the way it is played. GN'R's has a silly phone call that makes no sense. I'll admit that Guns N' Roses' version is pretty good, and one of my favorite songs by them. But it's not Dylan's version at all. Not at all.

I disagree Rumin, I see KOHD as really inferior to the majority of Bob's work. However GNR's anthemic take really made it great. It's really throttling when the band comes in full force at the beginning, provoking an emotional response Dylan's version wasn't capable of. Take out the phone call or just talk about a live version and I think GNR's is better.

Bought The Essential Bob Dylan today. I just listened to a few songs, and I can honestly say that I prefer Dylan's KOHD to Gn'Rs. Even though its a bit short.

That's awesome; it's the best Dylan collection you can get. Make sure you check out some of his other great albums in the future.

I fully agree, Dylan's KOHD is miles better, his voice is so more raw, eomtional and honest than Axl's, and so it makes the song more believeble.

I also bought The Essential Dylan awhile back too, one of the best buys i have ever made. Covers the entire carer of a legend. His lyrics are so powerful no matter what he rights about, Protest songs, Social commentry, or about himself and his divorce. Amazing, i could listern to Bob all day.

Do you know what is underrated? Blood on the Tracks.

Dylan's best album IMO. It's the most honest and passionate album he ever made, and has tunes to match up with anything.

Here's what I love about it. Nearly the entire album is acoustic, yet not a return to Dylan's folk days. There are drums, bass, etc.. in the background, and they play a great part in the music. There's a drum kick in "You're A Big Girl Now" that's just amazing.

Tangled Up In Blue: One of my top-five favorite Dylan songs. Meaningfull, with an interesting story. No track of time in it either.

Simple Twist of Fate: Great lyrics and vocals.

You're A Big Girl Now: A great song. Lyrics are wonderful, and Dylan's singing in powerful.

Idiot Wind: People love this song for a reason.

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go: This would be a highlight on any other musician's albums. It's a strong track on BOTT.

I'll post more later.

Here's what I love about it. Nearly the entire album is acoustic, yet not a return to Dylan's folk days. There are drums, bass, etc.. in the background, and they play a great part in the music. There's a drum kick in "You're A Big Girl Now" that's just amazing.

Tangled Up In Blue: One of my top-five favorite Dylan songs. Meaningfull, with an interesting story. No track of time in it either.

You're A Big Girl Now: A great song. Lyrics are wonderful, and Dylan's singing in powerful.

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go: This would be a highlight on any other musician's albums. It's a strong track on BOTT.

I'll post more later.

Do you have the minnesota version of the album? I do not. Supposedly it was recorded with some less than professional musicians in minnesota, and this version is purported to be superior.

My favourite Dylan song right now is Hurricane. Great story.

The sad part is that this "story" is actually true...

Yeah, I know. Did they make a film about it?

Yep, with Denzel Washington (imo greatest actor ever) as Rubin Carter. Really really good movie, you should watch it if you're interested in that case. The movie is called "Hurricane" too.

Edited by Spoon87

I'll post more later.

Do you have the minnesota version of the album? I do not. Supposedly it was recorded with some less than professional musicians in minnesota, and this version is purported to be superior.

Nope, just the regular version. "Lily, Rosemary, and The Jack of Hearts" is one of my favorite songs. Everything about it is just awesome.

Bob Dylan is a freaking genius. I say it again.

The Essential Bob Dylan is easily the best compilation I own.

My brother has Greatest Hits Vol. II (or was it III?) in vinyl. It is the one with All I Really Want To Do, My Back Pages, and many other songs.

I bought "Bringing It All Back Home" the other day, sounds great, though I know there are better Dylan albums (I'll buy soon).

It gives me a special feeling to listen to Dylan's relaxed tunes, with the acoustic guitar, and with some really deep lyrics.

My favourite songs at the moment are All I Really Want To Do and Positively 4th Street (currently my favourite lyrics on any song).

I bought "Bringing It All Back Home" the other day, sounds great, though I know there are better Dylan albums (I'll buy soon).

Bringing It All Back Home is really underrated. I never heard too much hype about it before I bought it, but I'm glad that I did. It's an excellent album.