posted on CD.com:

Dont Try Me

some guy named: "barrym" posted this on cd.com:

Chinese democracy sounded great.....we were playing poker earlier in the night...axl told amazing stories, totally personable, and anyone that says he is a secluded person is flat out wrong....the guy said hello and responded to anyone that came in contact with him, and was speaking very free....axl loves hip hop as well as rock...he is a huge fan of NWA and Eazy E.......that story in the post was about thursday night, and he came back to stereo on friday late night then we walked to bungalo 8 and chilled there until like 6am.....he mentioned he was in nyc working on approval for samples of mlk and morgan freeman used on madagascar.....all true....later peoples...axl is the man!!! braided out, and a little scruffy, but honestly sounded great.... fyi...his man took the double cd copy of chinese democracy and did not leave it behind....believe it man!

I was just surfing the net and came across this site and read deep into the forum and saw my name pop up.....i am just confirming that this is all true....this shit sounds great and axl is a amazing dude with hell of alot of amazing stories as you could imagine....out of all the celebs that come to Stereo this was one not to forget......i get the biggest names there and could care less, but Axl is just a flat out a god and he was the most modest humble guy ever....its mad respectable.....later...

source: http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/viewtopic....=10415&start=36

interesting if that's true. The poster did post it from a computer in NYC, a mod confirmed. But that doesn't make it true keep that in mind.

The most interesting thing is the working on madagascar quotes approval. Don't count on it beeing true so you don't get dissapointed but it sounds plausible doens't it?

Edited by Dont Try Me

Sounds a little far fetched. Madagascar was performed 4 years ago and may have been written well before that and he never got "approval" until now?

don't know mate, just passing on what I've read. Maybe he needs approval for a release? but then again, you make a good point....probably rubbish then

I think it is ok to use someone elses quotes, music, etc as long as you don't record or try and distribute it. For example, anyone can perform any song they wish live, just don't try and record it for distribution. If Madagascar is on CD as it was performed, Axl needs permission to use the quotes, and depending on the author, may have to pay royalties.

It might be true,

but come on, Madagascar was written and recorded (at least for live purposes) at least 5 years ago and even played live many times.

However, it might seem more logical if there is a copyright difference between live and studio performances as for quotes. Using the quotes might be ok then for live shows, but not for recorded material

EDIT: fit to burn just answered my question more or less

Edited by Maestro

he was in nyc working on approval for samples of mlk and morgan freeman used on madagascar.....all true

It doesn't sound plausible. This kind of work is done by the management or the record company, not by the artist in person... :rolleyes:

But Axls manager is Merck..... maybe he thought he'd better take hold of this one!

Hope its true, it makes sense. Hopoefully, Axl is really working towards bring it out. But a 2 CD set? I bet that was the songs he wasnt lookin to put on CD and wasnt really bothered whether people heard them.

Grimo.

he was in nyc working on approval for samples of mlk and morgan freeman used on madagascar.....all true

It doesn't sound plausible. This kind of work is done by the management or the record company, not by the artist in person... :rolleyes:

How would you know? Perhaps he's with management trying to 'convince' whoever is responsible for 'approval' to do so. If it was my song and I used qoutes I would damn sure get the approval 'personally'. I wouldn't let management alone do that. It shows some level for respect wouldn't it to show up as the using artist in personal?

dunno, maybe your right,

It might be true,

but come on, Madagascar was written and recorded (at least for live purposes) at least 5 years ago and even played live many times.

However, it might seem more logical if there is a copyright difference between live and studio performances as for quotes. Using the quotes might be ok then for live shows, but not for recorded material

EDIT: fit to burn just answered my question more or less

you don't need any permission to play anything live.....

...you only need to sort out royalties and fees for legal documentation literally minutes before you release the material...so maybe that's what he was doing...

its pointless sorting out the royalties in 2001 if he planned to release the cd in 2006...besides, those agreements have time clauses in them as well, depends on air play and all sorts of shit, so it wouldn't have made sense to get it done sooner.

why not Merck? Because it is the band who signs these agreements, not their management, the management can act as an intermediary, and discuss all terms and conditions, but uncle A has to go and sign on the dotted line...and the fact that he was in New York in any case, why not kill two birds with one stone...and the fact that he is the sole owner of GNR, means that he has to agree to it alone....and the fact that he doesn't trust anyone else to do it also explains why he went and did it himself.....

lots of theories....

Edited by elmir

My guess is that the cd is done, but not gone into reproduction as yet...if he's still sorting out legal requirements, that means that the master disc still hasn't gone off to duplication....which, if they're to satisfy the initial demand, will take at least 8-9 weeks of 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week of repro work....

so, March is looking very unlikely right now...

unless they've reproduced the cd and then realised they needed permissions for certain clips, which is not a very smart thing to do....

Sounds a little far fetched. Madagascar was performed 4 years ago and may have been written well before that and he never got "approval" until now?

He wouldn't need it for a public performance (fair use) but WOULD need it for publishing them on a CD.

Kinda like any band can cover another band's stuff in concert....but couldn't put that same song on one of their CD's without permission from the original artist.

A lot of times people will put in samples during the writing process and not worry about getting permission until final cut as they can be edited with a different sample if needed, especially speech. Take for example Roger Waters album Amused to Death, he wanted to use the breathing from the HAL computer in 2001 space odysee movie, it got shot down and had to make his own sound to fit the part after that. Of course the double CD thing doesn't mean that a double CD will be released it could be his working CD with different tracks he's still choosing or different version of same songs etc..

Edited by mcalldp

He wouldn't need it for a public performance (fair use) but WOULD need it for publishing them on a CD.

Kinda like any band can cover another band's stuff in concert....but couldn't put that same song on one of their CD's without permission from the original artist.

A band can record any song they please so long as the structure (Lyrics etc) of the track isn't changed and royalties are paid. To alter the structure or sample a pre recorded track would require permission

Edited by SLG

A band can record any song they please so long as the structure (Lyrics etc) of the track isn't changed and royalties are paid. To alter the structure or sample a pre recorded track would require permission

Not true. Doing so would violate copyright laws. They can record the song, and release it (ie publish it), ONLY IF THEY RECEIVE PERMISSION FROM THE ORIGINAL ARTIST (actually author(s)).

Dont believe me? Call a good copyright attorney and they'll corroborate.

Edited by pilferk

Not true. Doing so would violate copyright laws. They can record the song, and release it (ie publish it), ONLY IF THEY RECEIVE PERMISSION FROM THE ORIGINAL ARTIST (actually author(s)).

Dont believe me? Call a good copyright attorney and they'll corroborate.

I think I'll have to respectfully disagree on that one as a I do some work for a record label here in the UK and I know a couple of people who all agree(thouse I've asked). . Only the relevent royalties need to be paid.

I await final word someone I've EMailed which I will PM you unpon receipt

If the song is altered then permission needs to be sought.

Reproduction of a track for a compilation and using a sample of a track does require permission

Edited by SLG