Have you noticed that most of the new song's have a sad, defeated tune?

PS_PoWeR

Madagascar

The Blues

TWAT

Better

The common theme of all these songs is that they seem to be about reacting to some kind of defeat....some kind of loss. There's a sad overtone to all of them, even when the tune picks up.

I don't want an emo GNR album.

I wouldn't want Chinese Democracy to be all about this theme. Every song being about being defeated and wronged somehow and being sad and frustrated about it.

I hope there are some classic aggressive songs. Songs about kicking ass instead of getting ass kicked.

I don't want the whole album to be "All the love in the world couldnt save yoooooooou....", "I won't be told anymore, that I've been brought down in this storm", "You stole my heart.....this meledy in my heart searches for a solution".........I'd personally be pissed off if the whole album was like this. SOME is okay, but not all. There's got to be some asskickery going on too.

Madagascar

The Blues

TWAT

Better

The common theme of all these songs is that they seem to be about reacting to some kind of defeat....some kind of loss. There's a sad overtone to all of them, even when the tune picks up.

I wouldn't want Chinese Democracy to be all about this theme. Every song being about being defeated and wronged somehow and being sad and frustrated about it.

I hope there are some classic aggressive songs. Songs about kicking ass instead of getting ass kicked.

I don't want the whole album to be "All the love in the world couldnt save yoooooooou....", "I won't be told anymore, that I've been brought down in this storm", "You stole my heart.....this meledy in my heart searches for a solution".........I'd personally be pissed off if the whole album was like this. SOME is okay, but not all. There's got to be some asskickery going on too.

I could use a few songs with the running theme of...

"Turn around bitch I got a use for you"

Ya know...that type of element. rock3

Madagascar

The Blues

TWAT

Better

yeah i am hoping the same thing, these power ballads are cool an all, but we need to mix it up here.

Not all are sad, some are more agrressive like Silkworms, OMG, Chinese D - but they are still hertfelt. There arent that many songs on AFD that are agrresive. Some are fast but the lyrics are emo. Emotional that is. GNR is emotional music.

Well you cant expect Axl to have a mind of a 15 year old angst magnet. He has gone through those years, and probably done with resentment and hate. Gnr was never a really happy sounding band, and yes they did have angry lyrics, but I look at the new record as a milestone in Axl's life, a spiritual album, a reawakening, but yeah I dont see why he wouldnt have some agressive tunes, I just know it will be perfect.

Give a source you say, in the words of that little green jedi, higher up I am not, fan I will always be, trust Axl I do.

Guest JohnUlmer

We'll hear more upbeat, straight-rock stuff on later albums, I think. For one, stuff like It's So Easy was very sexist and wouldn't pass as easily today as it did in the '80s (when hair metal and sexist music was the norm, in a way). Bands were different back then and (I think, anyway) it's calmed down more lately. If Axl released a song saying, "Turn around bitch / I've got a use for you" some people would probably get pretty upset and cause a shitstorm.

The BIGGER reason there will be more mellow songs here - this album is Axl's Midlife Crisis. He has a lot of demons to exorcise through this album. Stuff he hinted at with the UYI songs like Estranged and Coma will be even more full-blown here (for example, TWAT). Not only is he older, more mature, and at a crucial point in his life (mid-'40s) -- he's coming to terms with a lot of stuff that happened before in his lifetime...childhood memories, teen years, the stuff he experienced while in the band, the descent from stardom to critical joke, the degeneration of the band, and all the stuff since.

Yeah, you can expect it to be pretty "mellow."

Not all are sad, some are more agrressive like Silkworms, OMG, Chinese D - but they are still hertfelt. There arent that many songs on AFD that are agrresive. Some are fast but the lyrics are emo. Emotional that is. GNR is emotional music.

thats not true

welcome to the jungle

its so easy

nightrain

mr brownstone

paradise city

my michelle

you're crazy

rocket queen

emotional? hell no

rocket queen, my michelle, and its so easy are fucking shallow ass songs not emo. go read the lyrics, bud.

I was thinking earlier today how the argument has came up in the past of how Axl plans to "stay relevant" with his new material when he's taken so long to get it out. These songs are timeless.......theres nothing in them that some could relate to 5 years ago that they can't today.

Look at Rocket Queen at the end those are emotional lyrics.

My Michelle is heartfelt lyrics. "All the time it takes when you're all alone/someday u'll find someone that you can call your own"

Paradise City isn't shallow it has lines about "Captain American's been torn apart/He's a court jester with a broken heart" - that's social commentary.

Easy Brownstone Nightrain are pretty shallow songs about drugs and sex. But even Easy has it's introspective section. And Brownstone isn't a celebration of drug use, it's lamenting it. Nightrain is about drinking but it's not saying it's awesome.

Sweet Child O Mine - emotional.

Think About U - emotional.

It's too easy to believe the hype about GNR but when you do read the lyrics it's not all that hedonistic or shallow. It's not Warrant - She's my Cherry Pie etc.

There's a lot of truth and reality and emotion in GNR songs. But the perspective is not always as shallow as people think.

"I won't be told anymore, that I've been brought down in this storm..."

-Madagascar

Does that sound defeated to you?

"Mired in denial, and so afraid" - Madagascar.

Lol, but true. I get your point though, and through his stuggle he has emerged, so he can sing about that struggle all he wants as far as I'm concerned. I relate, I see where he's coming from, God Bless the guy.

?? What do you mean these songs have a sad, defeated tone??

"I won't be told anymore that I've been brought down in this storm, and left so far out from the shore, that I can't find my way back anymore"

How it that defeated? I think these songs are the exact oppostite - they're about a mental and emotional breaktrhough of someone who DID feel defeated.

"I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you, I know it's what we planned this much is true, what I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore"

"If there's nothing I can take from this, or anything at all, it was the knowledge that you gave me when I thought I'd heard it all"

"The hardest part this troubled heart has ever yet been through now, we've healed the scars that got their start inside someone like you"

How do those sound defeated? The sound more like someone who's conquored and beaten his past depression and come to terms with his past. I think the lyrics are very bittersweet - a word used in at least a couple of places in some of the new songs...

I hope Axl uses his lyrics to convey what he's been up to the last 14 years. I don't expect him to be talking about drinking and doing heroin because that wouldn't be truthful to who he is today.

I wonder if he will have any lyrics relating to what hes been doing with his time? I can imagine it now..

Went to a strip club, smoked some cigars, bought expensive cars, played GTA San Andreas!!

Look at Rocket Queen at the end those are emotional lyrics.

My Michelle is heartfelt lyrics. "All the time it takes when you're all alone/someday u'll find someone that you can call your own"

Paradise City isn't shallow it has lines about "Captain American's been torn apart/He's a court jester with a broken heart" - that's social commentary.

Easy Brownstone Nightrain are pretty shallow songs about drugs and sex. But even Easy has it's introspective section. And Brownstone isn't a celebration of drug use, it's lamenting it. Nightrain is about drinking but it's not saying it's awesome.

Sweet Child O Mine - emotional.

Think About U - emotional.

It's too easy to believe the hype about GNR but when you do read the lyrics it's not all that hedonistic or shallow. It's not Warrant - She's my Cherry Pie etc.

There's a lot of truth and reality and emotion in GNR songs. But the perspective is not always as shallow as people think.

That very much is taking the words out of context