Gotta Mix Up The Setlist This Time Around

D-GenerationX

The new group is nothing more than a cover band trying to make it big by using the name of a band that was bigger than life at one time to sell their new style of music. Wonder how much attention they'd be getting if they were named anything other than GnR?

You do know there's a guy called Axl Rose still in the band? :rolleyes: Sure the name Guns N' Roses brings some attention but I think Axl will make it clear that it's a new band.

Edit: I like the W. Axl Kev's list.. Take Scom away though, it's Slashs songs.

Edited by Wando

I think the new band should go by "Axl and the Blowfish" or "Puns and Roses" because they are not, nor will they ever be, Guns n Roses. They are a glorified cover band trying to make it on their own with some new material and VR is closer to Guns n Roses than Axl and his band could ever be without a reunion.

I love Slash Axl, and the real GnR. Not sure what to make of this over-hyped garage band going by the name GnR.

Fuck you and VR. Contraband was a decent album that got old within 3 listens.

Scott Weiland can't sing. The music was disappointing. and sounds modern and nothing like GN'R.

BTW, this band is a hired group of musicians. The original lineup was the garage band, who made really great music and made it big.

I never said Scott Weiland was a good singer...only that they have more GnR members than Axl's band of Merry Men, thus they are closer to GnR than what they call Gnr these days. Apparently you have selective reading like most people have selective hearing.

The new group is nothing more than a cover band trying to make it big by using the name of a band that was bigger than life at one time to sell their new style of music. Wonder how much attention they'd be getting if they were named anything other than GnR?

My guess is IF CD ever comes out, it will receive the same lukewarm reception that VR got by the mainstream. There will be a bunch of "loyal" fans on sites like this that will say it's the greatest thing ever, but the reality is that it's time has passed before it was ever released. It will sell for curiosity's sake, and that's about it. Had it been released in the 90's without banning or pushing out the other members (and when Axl still had a good voice) as it should have been...it COULD have been one of the greatest albums ever. Now it will be a sad testimoy of what could have been. That makes me very sad.

I can understand the ‘cover band’ accusations to a certain extent because of the tour…. However if they’re gonna be writing, playing and recording songs then they’re a proper band.

Obviously they’re not the same band, they’re Guns N’ Roses Mark II or something, but they’re still Guns N’ Roses. I think they’re great, and if you’re just wanting to wank over the old band then there’s a special section for you and your leather trousers.

LP

The opener will be WTTJ, it just sets everythin off. Apart from the obvious songs, SCOM, PC, and NR I think they should do a set of completely new songs. They've probably got enough of them so why not?

We can reduce the set by a couple of songs so that Axl can have a rant or two!

Grimo.

I'd like them to vary the setlists more this time too, and i feel they will once they get into their stride, i wouldnt expect many major setlist changes at the festivals but i hope they vary it more as i cant imagine a setlist including The Blues, Madagascar, TWAT, November Rain, Dont Cry and Estranged in and those would be some very popular choices

However, playing obscure UYI tracks would be kind of a waste of stage time, particularly at festivals

Those tracks will probably be as well known by festival crowds (who will not just be GNR fans) as the unheard tracks from CD would be, perhaps pulling out Coma at a GNR show further down the line would be a good treat for the fans but these performances at festivals arent just to please the diehards, they need support for the new stuff too, so i'd like a mix of the classics, perhaps one or two different UYI songs (such as Estranged, which is not a song GNR are remembered for) then the rest new songs.

1. Intro/Madagascar

2. Mr. Brownstone

3. It's So Easy

4. There Was A Time

5. Welcome to The Jungle

6. Double Talkin' Jive

7. Sweet Child O' Mine

8. Oh My God

9. Rocket Queen

10. The Blues

11. November Rain

12. I.R.S

13. <new song>

14. Don't Cry

15. Better

16. Knockin' On Heavens Door

17. Yesterdays

ENCORE

18. Nightrain

19. Chinese Democracy

ENCORE

20. Paradise City

That would be an amazing setlist.

Great set list, I would like to see more new stuff in there, remember you have to get, The General, Protitute and Catcher In The Rye (if they will work as live songs) in there, plus some others that may suit a live show.

I thought Axl doesnt much of the UYI stuff, only the bigger songs, because it reminds him of Shannon Hoon, who died a while ago? That right? I know thats why he doesnt do Dont Cry. So maybe that will be another tour without a few of the UYI songs.

Grimo.

I can understand the ‘cover band’ accusations to a certain extent because of the tour…. However if they’re gonna be writing, playing and recording songs then they’re a proper band.

Obviously they’re not the same band, they’re Guns N’ Roses Mark II or something, but they’re still Guns N’ Roses. I think they’re great, and if you’re just wanting to wank over the old band then there’s a special section for you and your leather trousers.

LP

I guess I just don't see how 1 member (2 I guess if you count Dizzy, but I don't think he contributed to any of the song writing of any released GnR material) of any band is still the original band in any context. Replace a member here or there and it could remain the same band. It's The Axl Rose Project or whatever you want to call it, but don't ruin what was a great band by calling this project Guns n Roses.

I hope Axl does well, but it hurts me to have him drag the GnR name through the mud like this - they were the first rock group I ever really had a passion for and to see what's become of it makes me sick.

NuGnR might be ok (I haven't heard the demos, so I'm not going to judge the material), VR is ok, but what these people did together was nothing short of amazing, and releasing CD as GnR just tarnishes that.

Somebody mentioned somethign about 'Coma' above. This would actually be a cool song for the new band to play. It didn't fit the old band at all really, but it was an Axl song anyway. I can see the new band playing this and getting into it like it was something they took part in writing. I seriously doubt they would try to play it, but I'm just saying that it would be cool.

This is going to be the Chinese Democracy tour.

Unlikely, Chi Dem 2 if anything, the 2002 one was called the Chi Dem tour.

I'd say:

WTTJ

ISO

Brownstone

LALD

OMG

TAY

YCBM

I.R.S

SCOM

KOHD

Maddy

Better

TWAT

NOvember Rain

Estranged

Coma

Don't Cry

Nightrain

OTGM

Chi Dem

The Blues

Patience

Bad Obsession

Paradise City

-Big list...

Am I the only one that doesn't want them to play any UYI material? Other than the ones that have already been played?

If they switched it up every night that would be cool as well. Some won't agree with this,but it's better than hearing Finck play Estranged :scared:

Welcome To The Jungle (best way to open a killer show IMO)

It's So Easy

Mr.Brownstone (The way it was played in at Rio 3 in 2001)

Live And Let Die (Never was a fan of it from the old line up,but Axl changed that in 2002)

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

- New Song -

- New Song -

Sweet Child O' Mine

- New Song -

Madagascar

November Rain

IRS

The Blues

Chinese Democracy

There Was A Time

- New Song -

- New Song -

Nightrain

Better

Paradise City (Best way to end a killer show IMO)

Edited by F*ck Fear