Your take on the new songs in general....

kalahari

Dont mind on my english, im trying to do my best....

Who is in agreement with me on this.?

I think that the new gnr music is ok, but in the case of TWAT and CITR i was thinking this: That songs are very good, i wish someday compose something like that, BUT i think that the songs needs a master melody, i think that the verses are very long, and are not defined melodically. On "better" and "irs" is different, we have a master melody repeated in all the song....

What do you think of this guys?

I think variation is good and you should be a little more open minded.

I think alot of people are feeling this way because rock/pop today is so basicly structured. It's always focusing on the solos/chorus/back to solos.

I think what Axl is trying to do is push the envelope so people start to think outside the box. Love him or hate him, everyone knows that Axl Rose is a creative genious.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the new gnr music is ok, but in the case of TWAT and CITR i was thinking this: That songs are very good, i wish someday compose something like that, BUT i think that the songs needs a master melody, i think that the verses are very long, and are not defined melodically. On "better" and "irs" is different, we have a master melody repeated in all the song....

you make a very good point. the songs kind of drift forward with no discernible meolody like irs or better.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing- i mean, did estranged have a real consistent melody or chorus?

i think what you're saying is that you'd prefer a november rain kind of structure to the songs, as it did have more of a consistent melody/chorus.

ultimately it's a matter of preference, and i think you do have a point, i'd be interested to see how these sogns have developed since the demo stages! the melody in better is great...

I think variation is good and you should be a little more open minded.

Man, if u listen the music that i make you wouldnt say im not open minded with music, OK im not saying im composing a big thing, probably it sucks, but i love the new tendences, and i love the changes in everything, in music, in fashion, in literature, in movies.... So, its not a thing about open minded....

I think alot of people are feeling this way because rock/pop today is so basicly structured. It's always focusing on the solos/chorus/back to solos.

I think what Axl is trying to do is push the envelope so people start to think outside the box. Love him or hate him, everyone knows that Axl Rose is a creative genious.

I completely agree. I respect the fact that Axl is making music that is a hybrid of past elements and more progressive methods. Frankly, these new songs are more cerebral than most of us expected; and because of that these songs aren't easily catagorized as straight rock, or a power ballad, or industrial, etc. They have so many layers to them that you really have to listen to them over and over to begin to absorb what is really going on.

Totally agree ... he is trying to make something new people can enjoy ... not always the same structure of songs ... for that structure we already have a lot of bands ...

I agree actually. Do you mean that the songs kind of aimlessly move forward and don't seem to have a defined chorus? If so I agree intensley. I love them though, they are creative and I admire that.

I agree.

Dp you hear a single in this bunch? Maybe 'Better', but that's it.

Listen to some classic rock and you'll find than many of the greatest songs aren't structured in the typical verse/chorus/verse (to quote a Nirvana title) that is used in the money-making formula that music is these days. Music, at it's best, is art and art isn't meant to be confined to typical structures that your senses have adapted to being comfortable with.

Everyone keep in my that these are just Axl's rough drafts and are not complete. Its easy to forget this when we get caught up in the excitement of hearing new music for the first time in a LONG time. The album versions will be seemless, powerful, and epic. Im sure they will flow like the fuckin ocean. Just wait everyone....we aint seen nothin yet.

Everyone keep in my that these are just Axl's rough drafts and are not complete. Its easy to forget this when we get caught up in the excitement of hearing new music for the first time in a LONG time. The album versions will be seemless, powerful, and epic. Im sure they will flow like the fuckin ocean. Just wait everyone....we aint seen nothin yet.

IM TOTALLY AGREE WITH U. rock3

Keep in mind...these ARE demos. In the case of variation, i think Avenged Sevenfold do it best...they have the typical structures but add a lot of extra variables...for example a latin solo out of nowhere at the end of a song...3 solos per song, etc.

I don't know about their structure, but I know I get bored listening to Avenged Sevenfold. Their songs are catchy and I'd even say good, but if they have structual variation it is overshadowed by repetetive lyrics.

It's funny that Better is so poorly received among fans of other bands, but is so well received here. To me, those that are saying "I don't like better, it sounds like Linkin Park" are silly. Just because there are some techno aspects to the song doesn't mean that it has anything else in common. I don't hear any rapping, and the singing in better is actually good. The solo after the hard part ("I never wanted you to be so full of anger...") is better than anything in an LP song. All I know is that if you were a fan of the band of old, you heard that middle interlude in Better, and you didn't get chills down your spine, then you don't have a pulse. It's a brilliant song because it pushes the envelope with its structure and sound, but still has something to hook the old fans.

CITR is a bit too dated sounding for me to call it a GREAT song. Don't flame me, I still like it, it's just not as good as the others. I do think those looking for old school gunners songs will really like this.

IRS should appeal to the old school fan, as should the Blues.

TWAT should appeal to the type of fan that calls Estranged their favorite song. To a lesser extent, I feel the same about Madagascar.

CD should appeal to those who want hard rock and something modern.

Finally (before I climb off my soapbox), I like OMG, but I think the techno aspects of it sounded novice, and it was not the right choice of song to be their first single in their new incarnation. IRS or TWAT or Better, will be a much better choice.

I definitively think that axl need izzy stradlin. I like the demos BUT the verses are to large and the estructure is weird, Axl sang outtatime, anyway in the studio, the song will be great, i really hope so.

ps. mi english sux

Hello,

This is Theodore W. Dibiase, millionaire and playboy.

I have been sent diamond covered demos of the new album and here is my opinion on them...

1) IRS - this is a good song.. it will sound even better when final mix is done... Dibiase gives it 8.5 millions out of 10.

2) Better (I have heard the full version) - this song kicks ass - again, suffers from being a demo - but I think it will rock my mansion when it is released.

3) There was a Time (This TWAT stuff is so skid) -- this song is Okay -- the solo is really good at the end.. actually the last 3 minutes are solid.. but the chorus as it stands now is weak - hopefully this is an old demo and some work was done on the chorus, cause this song has potential to be really really good if some work is done on the chorus.. so for now it only gets 6 millions out of 10.

4) Catcher in the Rye - is this 1986? this song came across as dated and cheesy. Again, it is just a demo so the song could be much better when/if finally released, but I have my doubts... I will give it 4 millions out of 10.

5) The Blues - heard it 4 years ago -- HORRIBLE HORRIBLE cheesy first minute -- song gets good after that.. please god Axl get rid of the cheesy start and this song could be really good... 6.5 millions out of 10

6) Madagascar - enough with the voiceovers - lets hope that was for concerts only.. ruined a good solo with Michael J. Fox and Gene Hackman talking.. umm song is pretty good - will sound much much better on a CD.. so I will give it 7 millions out of 10 and maybe higher when final product is heard.

7) Chinese Democracy - again, another very solid rock song. Will sound better in the studio -- I think this song has the potential to kick some serious ass in the studio.. I will give it 8 millions out of 10.

Assuming these are the only new songs we've heard to date to be on the album.. i would say this is going to be an excellent album.. much better than anything we have heard since.. probably 1991 when the Illusions came out.

So - before I go back to my ladies... I will just say that for all the bullshit Axl goes through (trust me, he tells me) and alll the shit in the press about him being a recluse.. to go away and come back with an album like this.. is very impressive and he should be proud of himself.

I give this album a possible 9 millions out of 10..

Oh - you are all still peasants with no teeth.

See you at our shows.

Teddy Stinson

Hey Theo,

It's your old buddy....

Eh? Don't remember me huh. Well that's not important, what is, is a couple VIP seats, and possibly, oh say, a hundred thousand?

Fine, I settle for a Barqs Rootbeer, and Readers Digest....