Your take on the new songs in general....

kalahari

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad list there, but better shouldnt be higher than there was a time

It's only slightly higher, in my opinion. They both are still growing on me, the more I hear them

I didnt like there was a time at first but its really grown on me, anyone else think it soubds like mary janes last dance by tom petty mixed with estranged? ohiodistortedsmile pointed it out to me and i really see where hes coming from

Comletely disagree about the blues intro, it makes the song

I totally agree, the intro is brilliant

Here are my thoughts on track preferences:

1. I would put "Better" first - by a mile! It has "hit" written all over it. It's innovative, pushes the envelope with sound, has guitar solos - it has the whole package.

2. IRS - just a good classic rock song.

3. Madagascar - an awesome power ballad. Lyrics, sound -- one of the best songs Axl has ever written.

4. Either the Blues or Twat. Twat is such a rough demo mix, it's hard to tell how the final mix will sound. I think it has the potential to be a great power ballad though.

5. CITR - More "pop" than "rock" -- but it's always good to have variety on an album so that every song is different.

6. Silkworms - Yep, I'm one of the few who likes this song

7. Chinese Democracy

And I hope Rhiad doesn't even make the cut. It's my least favorite of the new songs.

And since OMG was already released with a soundtrack, I think it's too dated to be on the album.

how the heck was I off topic?

Not you dude!

I was referring to the posts before you.

Ahh cool. :heart:

I'm going to do something diff. Rank all the songs and their potential to pick up fans.

1. Better - Picks up lots of Corn fans with the intro, Lots of system of a down fans with the heavy parts and get just pop culture fanse with the verse. GNR becomes #1 request at ozzfest and the Nu metal market.

Also makes people realize Axl can still fucking sing.

2. Blues- Gets all the old fans of GNR Power ballads back wth his Nov. Rain Rhasp on You know I tried so hard to make you and the Feeling of the song. Lots of attention. Old fans give more respect.

3. Catcher - Gets Fans of U2 and the Beatles and Kiss's Beth at least paying attention to GNR

4. Twat (With Richard Fortus Added) Gets guitarists respecting the band cuz Richard has added some kick ass shit and he f'n kicks ass.

5. IRS/CD - Picks up the Fans that like Oh my god in 99. hopefully with different solos and something more interesting.

Madagascar - Picks of fans of relaxed music from Spas and Tanning Places around the world

Edited by jimb0

while madison might be one of the few who enjoys Silkworms, I might be one of the few who likes every one of the new songs.

Regarding CITR: Despite the fact that it's not exactly Perfect Crime, it could be thee best song gn'r has ever recorded... like, in terms of what makes a good song musically... BUT- haha i said this about TWAT, and Better before that............... the songs just keep getting better and better and better........ i can't even comprehend what the album is going to sound like... amazing...

Axl is doing a solo album right now, it's called Chinese Democracy. It will be a great album although it has nothing to do with Guns N'Roses. This is different. Axl forgot about GNR which is good.

who are all these people?

hey, if you don't like gnr, DON'T COME TO THE FUCKING FAN BOARD!!! :fuckyou:

losers.

Axl is doing a solo album right now, it's called Chinese Democracy. It will be a great album although it has nothing to do with Guns N'Roses. This is different. Axl forgot about GNR which is good.

losers.

You talkin' to me ?

losers.

You talkin' to me ?

dont let the door hit you in the ass

1. Catcher in the Rye: I don't know about you, but my musical tastes aren't all "shred, shred, shred, screeaaaaaaaam!!!, solo, solo, solo"... Catcher best shows off Axl's songwriting ability with one of the strongest lyrical pieces of the new batch. I know it may be a little too "soft" for some, but it appeals to a wider range of people. If you like Queen, Elton John, and The Beatles, I think this song is for you. I am a sucker for great piano music, and I've listened to this one about 50 times since acquiring the track. The only word I can use to describe it is "beautiful."

2. Madagascar: This song has "epic" written all over it. From the opening organ composition, to the lyrics, to the quotes, to the solo... its just a brilliant piece of music. I'd be greatly disappointed if we never got a studio version of this track, as it is among my favorite songs of all time.

3. There Was A Time: Another great lyrical piece, with a little harder edge to it. The song it reminds me of is "Estranged." Its not quite as good as Estranged, but it gives the same vibes. Buckethead completely dominates on this song, with a very nice solo, a nice breath of fresh air from the shredding he is known for.

4. The Blues: Another classic piece that I think will shine bright if we ever see it recorded on an album. I don't even think I'm fairly judging it, because it may actually wind up as my favorite of the new batch.

5. Chinese Democracy: Am I the only person who likes this song? You people practically beg for "hard rockers", get one, and shit all over it. The opening to this song really rocks, its short, but sweet... I really don't get all of the negative feelings towards it.

6. Better: Now if CD is the most underrated, this is the most overrated. The common criticism any music is going to get is that it "doesn't sound like Guns N Roses"... well, this song sounds the least like Guns N Roses. I think parts of it are great, and parts of it are awful, namely the techno shit going on in the middle, I could really do without that. Besides that, the lyrics are solid, it just needs better structure, and a better flow to it.

7. IRS: I really like the top seven songs on this list, so its hard for me to put IRS at #7. Its got a good beat to it. Its short, its catchy, and its one of those songs you can tap your foot to. I don't think this is the best representation of the work we have heard thusfar, and am disappointed it was the song that made it on the airwaves, but I still dig the song.

8. Rhiad and the Bedouins: Rhiad is another song I feel that could be very good in a recorded version. It sounded really rough live, but I'd still like to hear it recorded eventually.

9. Silkworms: What. The. FUCK?! This song is really just... whats the word I'm looking for? Awful, atrocious, horrible, terrible, horrendous, an abomination. This is just a shameful track. I honestly didn't even know what the hell was going on when I first heard it.

The only song I really dislike is silkworms. I think the others range from great to very good.

And I hope Rhiad doesn't even make the cut. It's my least favorite of the new songs.

I think it's just one of those songs that doesn't sount great live. It's ultra demanding vocally, i think a studio version of this would change alot of peoples opinions.

1. Catcher in the Rye: I don't know about you, but my musical tastes aren't all "shred, shred, shred, screeaaaaaaaam!!!, solo, solo, solo"... Catcher best shows off Axl's songwriting ability with one of the strongest lyrical pieces of the new batch. I know it may be a little too "soft" for some, but it appeals to a wider range of people. If you like Queen, Elton John, and The Beatles, I think this song is for you. I am a sucker for great piano music, and I've listened to this one about 50 times since acquiring the track. The only word I can use to describe it is "beautiful."

2. Madagascar: This song has "epic" written all over it. From the opening organ composition, to the lyrics, to the quotes, to the solo... its just a brilliant piece of music. I'd be greatly disappointed if we never got a studio version of this track, as it is among my favorite songs of all time.

3. There Was A Time: Another great lyrical piece, with a little harder edge to it. The song it reminds me of is "Estranged." Its not quite as good as Estranged, but it gives the same vibes. Buckethead completely dominates on this song, with a very nice solo, a nice breath of fresh air from the shredding he is known for.

4. The Blues: Another classic piece that I think will shine bright if we ever see it recorded on an album. I don't even think I'm fairly judging it, because it may actually wind up as my favorite of the new batch.

5. Chinese Democracy: Am I the only person who likes this song? You people practically beg for "hard rockers", get one, and shit all over it. The opening to this song really rocks, its short, but sweet... I really don't get all of the negative feelings towards it.

6. Better: Now if CD is the most underrated, this is the most overrated. The common criticism any music is going to get is that it "doesn't sound like Guns N Roses"... well, this song sounds the least like Guns N Roses. I think parts of it are great, and parts of it are awful, namely the techno shit going on in the middle, I could really do without that. Besides that, the lyrics are solid, it just needs better structure, and a better flow to it.

7. IRS: I really like the top seven songs on this list, so its hard for me to put IRS at #7. Its got a good beat to it. Its short, its catchy, and its one of those songs you can tap your foot to. I don't think this is the best representation of the work we have heard thusfar, and am disappointed it was the song that made it on the airwaves, but I still dig the song.

8. Rhiad and the Bedouins: Rhiad is another song I feel that could be very good in a recorded version. It sounded really rough live, but I'd still like to hear it recorded eventually.

9. Silkworms: What. The. FUCK?! This song is really just... whats the word I'm looking for? Awful, atrocious, horrible, terrible, horrendous, an abomination. This is just a shameful track. I honestly didn't even know what the hell was going on when I first heard it.

The only song I really dislike is silkworms. I think the others range from great to very good.

You sir are a legend

Hello,

This is Theodore W. Dibiase, millionaire and playboy.

I have been sent diamond covered demos of the new album and here is my opinion on them...

1) IRS - this is a good song.. it will sound even better when final mix is done... Dibiase gives it 8.5 millions out of 10.

2) Better (I have heard the full version) - this song kicks ass - again, suffers from being a demo - but I think it will rock my mansion when it is released.

3) There was a Time (This TWAT stuff is so skid) -- this song is Okay -- the solo is really good at the end.. actually the last 3 minutes are solid.. but the chorus as it stands now is weak - hopefully this is an old demo and some work was done on the chorus, cause this song has potential to be really really good if some work is done on the chorus.. so for now it only gets 6 millions out of 10.

4) Catcher in the Rye - is this 1986? this song came across as dated and cheesy. Again, it is just a demo so the song could be much better when/if finally released, but I have my doubts... I will give it 4 millions out of 10.

5) The Blues - heard it 4 years ago -- HORRIBLE HORRIBLE cheesy first minute -- song gets good after that.. please god Axl get rid of the cheesy start and this song could be really good... 6.5 millions out of 10

6) Madagascar - enough with the voiceovers - lets hope that was for concerts only.. ruined a good solo with Michael J. Fox and Gene Hackman talking.. umm song is pretty good - will sound much much better on a CD.. so I will give it 7 millions out of 10 and maybe higher when final product is heard.

7) Chinese Democracy - again, another very solid rock song. Will sound better in the studio -- I think this song has the potential to kick some serious ass in the studio.. I will give it 8 millions out of 10.

Assuming these are the only new songs we've heard to date to be on the album.. i would say this is going to be an excellent album.. much better than anything we have heard since.. probably 1991 when the Illusions came out.

So - before I go back to my ladies... I will just say that for all the bullshit Axl goes through (trust me, he tells me) and alll the shit in the press about him being a recluse.. to go away and come back with an album like this.. is very impressive and he should be proud of himself.

I give this album a possible 9 millions out of 10..

Oh - you are all still peasants with no teeth.

See you at our shows.

Teddy Stinson

Bothered.

Grimo.

Who are you Ted Dibiase?? Million Dollar Man who wrestle on WWE in the 90's ?? Am I right?

Teddy is our resident comedian -- a guy with a warped sense of humor who added a bit of life to the Anything Goes section when we didn't have any GNR news.

Gee Teddy -- I think this is the first time I've even seen you post about GNR. Honestly, I was beginning to think you didn't even listen to the band or know anything about them. Cool to know there's a real Gunner hidden underneath that twisted comedian. ;)

As for your review, I agree with the first three points - although I would put "Better" as the best track we've heard so far. I think CITR is more "pop" than "rock" - but it's still a good tune.

I disagree with your thoughts about Madagascar. I think it's a true power ballad - one of the best tracks Axl has ever written. I'm less enthusiastic about Chinese Democracy.

Actually,i'm REALLY excited at chinese democracy

it was the first new track i heard

and the 02 solo rules

Okay, i'm not all about screaming and solos, but CITR sucks, i like ballads and deep songs like anyone else but for waiting this long this song isn't that great sounds like it's from the 80"s definitley, IRS, BETTER great songs!!! CHINESE DEMOCRACY good driving tune reminds me of old GNR with Axl's deep voice like on brownstone. THE BLUES, MADAGASCAR, great songs! I would expect this album to be a combination of AFD and UYI, which from hearing these tunes it seems it will be that way? I can't stand the NA NA NAS on CITR.

Well, to start, i think this past few weeks was... CRAZY! I'm really excited, i'm as excited as everyone of you out there... Everything started happening so fast.. I just managed to listen to all the leaked tracks except Catcher In The Rhye.. And, I really think the music sounds great... Well, just wanted to know what the forum thought about it... have the songs met your expectations? It certainly met mine.... So now brian May said that he worked with Axl... it just can't be better... And the fact that brian said that "Axl, is MAGIC!"..is just AWESOME!! So I really think that Chinese Democracy so far seems like it has been worth the wait... Wat abt u guys? but I did relise though, tat on songs like "Better", "There Was A Time"... the solos aren't that impressive... Do you think that Axl is trying to do without long solos? Well maybe he wants to avoid tat becos on some songs like "Estranged" and 'sweet Child O' Mine" the last time, Slash got most of the credit... but anyways, i sure hope that's not the case... So wat is ur favourite song out of the lot? And I've been thinking, which single do you think the band should release 1st? i mean thats gonna be really a decisive factor... because for some people that is gonna represent the Guns N' Roses name... I mean some of them dont even know the band, so I think they should release their best song 1st... Which for me is definately "I.R.S"... Wat do you guys think? i really hope to hear your views.. damn, I'M REALLY EXCITED!!!

Scorpio King 511