Your take on the new songs in general....

kalahari

^(all members read here)Even if you hold out and don't "give it up" to CITR, you're still a GnR slut... I mean, three songs?!?! Imagine the diseases you could get from three different GnR encounters. Those of you who are true GnR demo virgins, post here, and I will email you the songs and try to defile you. (mods only in parentheses) (Just kidding...not that I downloaded the songs or anything.... NOT A REAL OFFER, Just a joke.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got 1:20 min of better....thats all

and I.R.S. ....well I heard that song before,

this is just really better quality

so I dont count it

who wants to download it,let him/her do that

but for me its better to wait CD :tongue2:

Guest AxlRox
I've listend to Twat, better, and IRS...

But i'm holding out on CITR

Same here. Its tough but ya. I regret listening to the others

This is Sly Stallone (changed my name, don't ask), anyway I succumbed and heard the demos. To get it out of the way the demos fucking ROCK. No it was not worth a 13 year wait, more like a 3 year wait max....anyway....I've given them all a good listen and thought I'd start a discussion on what works and perhaps what is missed from the older material....

The Good:

1. Wow, how many different styles of music does Axl take on in these demos? I hear rock/industrial/new age type strings/pop/nu-metal/shredding type thrash just off the top of my head. Its all seamless, the mixing and weaving in and out of each genre....

2. The change is welcome....I think fans can enjoy this stuff, though it seems more geared for the fans of the estranged/november rain style....I can see nightrain/its so easy style fans not digging this though....

3. Guitar work is wonderful, THANK GOD. That was my biggest worry, are these guitarists going to let down Axl's work.....and lower slash's standards. Thats not the case at all....

4. The songs kick ass, they are all great except for IRS which is good but needs work....its a bit of a simplistic rocker with some nice arrangements....

5. This is SO much better than NIN or any other type of band he was trying to stylistically emulate. It's like he took the best aspects of many different bands he was influenced by, added his own spin to it and created gems....

6. Axl has a very noticeable pop sensibility, he can create catchy choruses and hooks....

7. Catcher in the Rye is a fucking gem....I love this song....up there with the blues, personally I enjoy this one more....

The Bad(not bad perse, but needs work):

1. The songs, though Im not complaining, don't really ROCK...there are no bone crunching YCBM/RNDTH type arrangements which is fine, maybe they'll be on the album (I sure hope they are)....

2. Axl's voice - It doesn't sound so far removed from his live voice in the 02 demos. He doesn't have that strong raspy growl or that whine he had in the UYI days....I thought he might be able to duplicate it in the studio but it looks like its really changed for good. As it stands, his voice sounds nice on the ballads, but it lacks power and is more helium/airy, again think back to Nightrain or The Garden....that voice is gone forever it seems...

3. Hip hop/pop - At times the songs choruses sound too "poppy"(better)....its kind of a big departure from the jack drinking, chain smoking days of hard rock....the hip/hop beat in better and TWAT is cool but again comes of a little odd....this could just be me....

4. Nu metal influence - The dreaded powerchords....I don't know what your take on it is, I like the arrangements in these songs and Axl uses the powerchords in the context of the songs well but I can't help but think GnR were NEVER about powerchords that was Nirvana's thing, Guns was about full blown rock....I know its a different beast, but it still is a little weird hearing it in a guns song....

5. The modern factor - The music sometimes sounds like the kind of rock you hear on mtv these days...especially due to the powerchords and trippy hip hop beats, ofcourse this material is much much better, but it still sounds too "hip" and of this time period....Less of that timeless feel in UYI and AFD....

6. Slash could have played on this, I don't see what the problem would have been. He's played these style solos (besides the shredding) on Streetchild, Locomotive/Breakdown,etc....

7. As cool as the guitar work is, it doesn't have the standout solo, the mindblowing solo you will be humming to yourself like SCOM or Estranged. The solos work well in the context of the song and don't become standouts. Is that intentional or not I wonder....I'm really curious to hear the guitar work on the rest of Chinese Democracy.....

The Ugly:

Chris Pittman's effects in Better, the computer/nintendo masturbation thing....WTF is up with that mate?

Overall though 2 thumbs up...the demos don't seem to suggest that all this time was worth it, but the album is going to kick ass that much is a certainty.....this music is going to work really well with the youth of today....believe it.... ;)

I heard that GNR was going to put out that new cd but i haven't heard the music and neither has my bofriend but our rock station down hear said it was really back and i was wondering if you anywhere i could go to listen to some of the new stuff.

Thanks

Talisa

It's not about the old lineup,it's about the GNR music that we know,about their music in the past.

Songs like Better,TWAT and IRS have nothing to do with AFD or UYI songs and style..looks like the old style died,just like the old band.

Axl reconstructed the band and the sound of Guns n' Roses.Of course some songs will remember the good times,but the old fans,including me,will certainly miss the spirit of the old band.

But in the end,it's good to see that Axl is not locked in the past..trying a new kind of sound.

Just listen to Slash's Snakepit, Izzy and the JuJu Hounds, The Neurotic Outsiders, and these new demos.

Listen to the seprately and then turn it off. Sit and think about what you heard. If you add up all the different projects and songs, that is Guns n' Roses. It is just in different places all over those songs man.

As for your post, we knew that before. And while I do miss the origional band I am glad as hell that they didn't turn into the band that recycled their tunes every two years and made mediocraty out of their stunning impact.

Why does everybody say that I.R.S. sounds like classic GnR. It doesn't!!! Yes it sounds like a classic rock song, but it sounds like a simple hard rock song that some kids wrote and play in a garage or something. Classic GnR would sound more complex.

Agreed...IRS was not up to scratch....even TWAT is not clicking completely with me....

Really digging Better and CITR though...

Edited by SylvesterStallone

i find it really sad that some people just can undersatand common sense. turn on you radio, listen to what you hear. its crap. each song is the same as the last, there is no innovation or heart out into its. you cant even tell these bands apart. they are nothing but boy bands with an edge that will be forgotton when the next one graduates high school. i praise axl for constantly for trying to better himself and music in general. will CD be worth the years its taken? no, but god damnit if axl would put thes demos alone on a cd and sold it, it would be better than the crap we have now.

sorry, just had to release a small rant

Guns N' Roses never broke up. The douches left one by one, Axl HAD to hire new musicians.

It's not like the whole band broke up and then Axl decided to form a new one and call it GN'R. If Duff was still there people wouldn't want the name to change, but after he left, no, Axl & Dizzy weren't enough to still be GN'R.

This is Guns N' Fuckin Roses people.

Guns N' Roses never broke up. The douches left one by one, Axl HAD to hire new musicians.

It's not like the whole band broke up and then Axl decided to form a new one and call it GN'R. If Duff was still there people wouldn't want the name to change, but after he left, no, Axl & Dizzy weren't enough to still be GN'R.

This is Guns N' Fuckin Roses people.

in name only

i love some of his new stuff

but im guns n roses fan first and foremost

and this is not guns and roses (and to be fair it wouldnt be even if it sounded note for note the same as the old band), this is Axl moving on, the same way as the others did from the band that was and no longer is

guns and roses

CITR has some GREAT stuff in it, especially the second half. The first is a bit undefined. Not Axl's usual style as it seems to go out of melody a bit. From comparing old material it seems a bit too abrupt. But the song is still leagues beyond anything I am capable of doing. CITR needs something in the first half to relate it to the second. TWAT is really cool, but also goes out of melody. But even so, I prefer these songs to anything I have heard in years. These songs will not work for everyone since they are hard to define and one must listen several times to "get it". Most people will not give it that chance. They are too fickle. Songs today have to show their stuff quickly. They must have peaks and valleys. A song on the radio today, establishes itself for what it is very fast. Axl puts three good songs worth of ideas in each of his songs. They are superior to any band I have ever heard. I love Zeppelin The Stones and ofcourse The Beatles. But I find "Axl's" work much more interesting. His songs are "epic" without being overly fleshy or whinney. Some may argue that songs like "November Rain" & "Don't Cry" are "pussy songs" and are not "real metal". I take the opposing side since these songs are very well written. I do think NR was a little bit too much of a production, but was still tastefull. Many bands try to write these songs. They all fail. It ends up sounding too contrived. Could you really ever see comparing GNR to Poison or Motley Crue? They wrote some cool music, but a lot of cheesy crap too. I can't say anything that is GNR is really Cheesy. The new music looks promising. I am sure the studio versions will sound considerably better and more linear.

i find it really sad that some people just can undersatand common sense. turn on you radio, listen to what you hear. its crap. each song is the same as the last, there is no innovation or heart out into its. you cant even tell these bands apart. they are nothing but boy bands with an edge that will be forgotton when the next one graduates high school. i praise axl for constantly for trying to better himself and music in general. will CD be worth the years its taken? no, but god damnit if axl would put thes demos alone on a cd and sold it, it would be better than the crap we have now.

sorry, just had to release a small rant

Man, im not saying that i dont understand the need of innovate... I know its important for Axl, and I admire him most than ever because of his idea of innovate... I know that the music we hear in the radios sucks, btw im trying to say that the verses are larger than ever, and in my opinnion it seems like it would be an improvisattion... Dont mind on my english im trying to do my best...

I enjoy the new songs alot and I personally don't have a problem calling the current line-up Guns N' Roses because even if I have a problem theres nothing i could do about it. Would i like to see the original line-up? hell ye! more than anything. Just so happens that i like the new songs as well.

Being a fan of the original line-up, I love being able to hear Axl's voice singing new material, and i also like hearing Slash and Duff play, even if its not together. I dont see the point in taking "sides" coz, with regard to the old material, i enjoy the music as much as the singing/lyrics.

Good thing is all the original members are still alive (amazingly lol) so theres always the chance of a reunion...

"nothing lasts forever and we both know hearts can change" ;)

Monty

Edited by BLSMonty