Is Brain best GNR drummer... by default?

dustindmnd2

Ok, I was just thinking... Steven Adler played the drums hard and aggresively, but you can't really say he ever did any impressive fills or arangements. Plus his inability to keep himself together obviously hurt him

Matt Sorum actually has some really good arrangements (You Could Be Mine, Estranged, to name a couple), but he plays like a pu-swa'. He hits the drums as if there are little puppies and kittens sleeping on the drums that he doesn't want to wake (something that I thought might just be on albums, but confirmed to be true when I saw VR on their last tour... he blew).

I've heard Brain is awesome from Primus... I can't say I've listened to their stuff enough to tell, and it is hard for me to assess what he can do just from the live bootlegs I've heard (plays the GNR stuff well, but I wonder about what he can come up with for CD).

So my question... Who is the best GNR drummer? I am willing to say Brain without knowing crap about him.

Peace,

Screetcher

I know Brain is pretty highly regarded as a drummer and he seems to have the strengths of Adler (swing) and Sorum (technical ability) but sometimes I feel he does a bit too much with his drumming. Like on a lot of the live bootlegs, his drumming is kind of intrusive on the music, good drumming should enhance a song....he comes across a bit flashy if that makes sense....

Adler had a nice stripped down approach to his drumming. I didnt care so much for Matt's drumming on UYI, but his work in VR is solid. Couldn't really judge it though due to the shoddy mixing on Contraband....

Edited by SylvesterStallone

Steven Adler, god bless him for his work on AFD, but is nothing special. He's actually become a complete waste of space.

I cannot fucking stand Matt Sorum. Never could. I don't like his style, its the weakest part of the illusion albums. I'd even take Steven Adler over him, and that says alot.

Brain is fucking solid, and the best drummer ever to sit behind the GNR drumkit.

Dude... Matt is easily the most gifted and technically refined drummer of the group. And no he does not treat the drums like pussies or whatever (I forget what you said), listen to Illegal I Song from VR... he fuckin trashes that snare.

I have watched many Illusion tour performances. The first I had gotten was the official one from tokyo, and I watched the drum solo there.

Ever since then I just skip over it. I'd rather watch the lifetime solo then that god damn man. Go fuck some 17 year old chix you dirty f'n man. Stevie groved back in the day and I think Brains gonno prove something to us coming up.