Brian May confirmed on CITR

Mike McKagan

I really dont get why Brian May is playin on CITR. Whats the point in havin three guitarists if you're bringing other people in because you want your current guitarists to sound like the guy you're bringing in? (Hope everyone followed that bit). Im thinkin that he was brought in for creative reasons, and on the studio version of CD, Finck or Fortus or whoever will re-do his bit?

But May is the man! rock3

Grimo.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont get why Brian May is playin on CITR. Whats the point in havin three guitarists if you're bringing other people in because you want your current guitarists to sound like the guy you're bringing in?

I guess because Axl is a BIG fan and he didn't have 3 guitarists at the time and it was a chance to work with one of his idols.

People have guest musicians all the time.

LP

I really dont get why Brian May is playin on CITR. Whats the point in havin three guitarists if you're bringing other people in because you want your current guitarists to sound like the guy you're bringing in? (Hope everyone followed that bit). Im thinkin that he was brought in for creative reasons, and on the studio version of CD, Finck or Fortus or whoever will re-do his bit?

May was brought in to record parts when Finck (briefly) quit the band, back in... 1998, 1999 or 2000. Not sure of the exact date. It was round about the time when Axl was experimenting with different musicians and different sounds (like, say, Dave Navarro on Oh My God).

SG

May was brought in to record parts when Finck (briefly) quit the band, back in... 1998, 1999 or 2000. Not sure of the exact date. It was round about the time when Axl was experimenting with different musicians and different sounds (like, say, Dave Navarro on Oh My God).

SG

Yeah I know, but wouldnt Robin or whoever have re-recorded it on this version?

Grimo.

SG

Grimo.

Why settle for mediocrity when you can have excellence instead?

Not to drag it out, but the reason people are focusing on the degree bit is because that's the only reason you gave as to why you think he's lame. Don't get me wrong I'm not gonna join a queue to suck his cock or anything, but I think he's a decent guy with a lot of talent who has gained the respect of many (including W.Axl Rose) and I don't get why he's lame.

He is lame because every single thing he is involved in he tries to makes all about him. If he were to join GNR it would all be about Brian May. I don't generally like his guitar work, it's far too sameish and he doesn't exactly echo 'Rock star' does he? I don't like the way in which he carries himself and when he speaks he comes accross pretencious. I generally don't like him and he is frankly not good enough to be in Guns N' Roses in my opinion. I recognise he's a good guitarist but what is the point in having a 60 year old man in a 'bad-ass' rock band. Queen were pretty good, they played utter shite often but they were fine. There is a bunch of reasons. Pick any you like. I don't care if I'm bashed for not liking Brian May. I'm not talking to you Longpig but, for example the guy who thought I should be banned for not liking him...

Not to drag it out, but the reason people are focusing on the degree bit is because that's the only reason you gave as to why you think he's lame. Don't get me wrong I'm not gonna join a queue to suck his cock or anything, but I think he's a decent guy with a lot of talent who has gained the respect of many (including W.Axl Rose) and I don't get why he's lame.

He is lame because every single thing he is involved in he tries to makes all about him. If he were to join GNR it would all be about Brian May. I don't generally like his guitar work, it's far too sameish and he doesn't exactly echo 'Rock star' does he? I don't like the way in which he carries himself and when he speaks he comes accross pretencious. I generally don't like him and he is frankly not good enough to be in Guns N' Roses in my opinion. I recognise he's a good guitarist but what is the point in having a 60 year old man in a 'bad-ass' rock band. Queen were pretty good, they played utter shite often but they were fine. There is a bunch of reasons. Pick any you like. I don't care if I'm bashed for not liking Brian May. I'm not talking to you Longpig but, for example the guy who thought I should be banned for not liking him...

Haha you mean me yeah? Well okay, saying you should get banned was a bit extreme.... but I think your "opinion" on Brian is unjustified and unfounded.

SG

Grimo.

Why settle for mediocrity when you can have excellence instead?

So official members of Guns are just there to make up the numbers while Axl makes CD with a load of guest stars? The band is just for live shows?

I have no doubt that May is FAR FAR FAR better than Finck, but Finck is in Guns, May (as far as I know) is not. Surely the lead guitarist should be doin the lead guitar work.

I've really been hopin that CD and GNR as we know it, is not just an Axl rose solo project. OK, so hes gonna have most of the say, but I'd like to think they were a real band, and not just hired hands for live shows.

Grimo.

Well I think Brian is one of the nicest and fairest people around, and like his comments towards Axl, he respects good artists and does not in any way try to steal the limelight, but that’s you opinion and I’m not arguing with you just wondered what you had against him.

And anyway my argument was NEVER that he should be in the band (I don’t think he’s right either) it was against the fact you called him lame. I don’t think you’ve come up with and ‘good’ reason to why he’s lame, but more reasons that he’s not right to be in Guns N’ Roses.

Anyway I’ll get over it now! Haha!

LP

Brian May is lame by the way. He's a nice guy and he done well with Queen and I like him on Catcher in the Rye but what kind of rock star has a degree? I would not be pleased if he became the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses.

You are a fucking prick living in your little rock star fantasy, brian mays elbow is a million times cooler than you will ever be and certainly would speak more sense

Brian May is lame by the way. He's a nice guy and he done well with Queen and I like him on Catcher in the Rye but what kind of rock star has a degree? I would not be pleased if he became the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses.

You are a fucking prick living in your little rock star fantasy, brian mays elbow is a million times cooler than you will ever be and certainly would speak more sense

:laugh: Just shut up eh!

:fuckyou:

Of course I expected to get a bashing when I said I don't like Brain May. But I couldn't really care, it's cool to have a discussion about it. But you always get these incompetant fools who think the way to discuss an opinion is through hurling useless abuse at people :rolleyes:

:fuckyou:

Of course I expected to get a bashing when I said I don't like Brain May. But I couldn't really care, it's cool to have a discussion about it. But you always get these incompetant fools who think the way to discuss an opinion is through hurling useless abuse at people :rolleyes:

So because brian had an education and isnt a reformed crackhead hes not cool enough to be in a band that have done fuck all for 15 years? brian may is one of the best and most respected guitarists on the planet yet you say hes shit and hes also a man who keeps his word and seems a very classy guy to me yet you call him pretentious, the only one hurling abuse is you at the good name of brian may

So because brian had an education and isnt a reformed crackhead hes not cool enough to be in a band that have done fuck all for 15 years? brian may is one of the best and most respected guitarists on the planet yet you say hes shit and hes also a man who keeps his word and seems a very classy guy to me yet you call him pretentious, the only one hurling abuse is you at the good name of brian may

You could have said that first time round and we could have discussed it :confused:

When I said that it was as a 'toungue in cheek' comment, as I've said countless times over this thread, I don't care about his degree. I don't like Brian May and no he is not good enough to be in Guns N' Roses in my opinion. Why? He doesn't fit. He played cheesy guitar rock with Queen not Bad Ass Metal with Guns N' Roses. I respect him and I'm sure he would be polite if I spoke to him. But he has an aura about him which I dislike and probably always will. I never once said he was shit so that's by the by.

If Catcher in the Rye is played live, I guess atleast one of the other band members has learnt Brians parts. It also mean Brain May can jump on stage and join in if he happens to be around (possibly at some up and coming gigs)

On a timely note, thought I'de re-up the 7:30 audio of Mr. May speaking of his experience with Axl on the record , this is from 5 years back, 01.

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=170FV3P...SI35QZG89C5PXKE

How did it all come about? How does this loom for Buckethead's work? Here's a quote.

"The guitarist that had done most of the tracks had departed, and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet he didn't want him on the album, I hope I'm not saying too much here, he didn't really want him to stay on the album because he'd, he'd disappeared"
Edited by axlskAmpf