What turned you on to GNR

Forever Axl

What struck you into becoming a dedicated GNR fan? I'm sure a topic like this has popped up several times before, but I guess I'm creating it again if it has. For me, it was the fact that GNR really was something special, the simple fact that they weren't like 'everyone' else on music row, Axl sang about what he wanted, and didn't give a fuck who hated his music. I love Axl's individuality and how he didn't try to be 'somebody' else....that's whats awesome about him. I truly respect him for that quality. I can only imagine that when GNR comes back, Axl is going to deliver it to us all once again. Sure, GNR will never be the same again, times have changed, the 80's and 90's are a thing of the past, but that doesn't mean those records will ever be put to shame, "Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome To The Jungle, Don't Cry, November Rain" all are simply classics....Axl will prevail and I think that when he comes back he's going to snake dance all the way back to the top :)

Welcome To The Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine really turned me onto GNR.....definately GNR will go down in history as one of the greatest bands of all time, I know it already has, but nothing like GNR will ever hit music again, they fucking rule, and like I said Axl is going to come back and deliver it to us all again, he may be older, but he's definatly still got it. He'll always have IT, and that IT is talent.

Ok, enough of my blabbing...lets hear about how you feel about GNR and how you became a GNR junkie

I don't know about any of you, but for me, personally, it was the drama between Axl and the ex members of the band, especially Slash.

it ruins my day when I have ti keave school at 3:30 and will no longer hear any more gossip and quarreling. I was relieved to find I could experience similar bantering in an online community that was always on top of Gn'R events and lack thereof.

the 2002 VMA performance....when he screached out the intro to jungle i was hooked....eventhough that wasn't his best vocal performance, his stage presence during the show was incredible. i remember sitting there thinking "my god, this man is gonna take over the world."

when I was little they used to show three videos of Gn'R in a row, SCOM, KOHD and Paradise City, SCOM & KOHD we're live at the Ritz '88 and the video of Paradise, and at the moment all the other music they showed was crap, pop, rap, and when I saw it I just fell in love with the music, the whole style, the badass attitute, and chanting..knock knock knocking on heaven's door ..............and the finishing touch was Don't Cry, and Slash rising from the water in Estranged............MAN GUNS ARE THE BEST BAND EVR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rock3 rock2 rock4:heart:

Edited by kannon21

My experience was strange cuz all of my buddies played Appetite, Lies, and the UYI's but it never hit me for some reason (although I remember when I was 14 or so...when Sympathy for the Devil came out one of my friends had that and I loved that song...but not so much on the other GNR stuff)...I remember being over at one buddies house and he was showing me the Use Your Illusion videos from Tokyo...it didnt hit me then either.

So a few years later and im in grade 11 or 12...can't remember...and were in computer science (which we all promptly failed and/or dropped out of heh) and my buddy Jason slipped in Appetite into the computer and Welcome to the Jungle came on...and it hit me like a fucking freight train...the intro, the riff, the voice...lyrics...I had a fucking revelation in the middle of class. And I knew I had just been fucked to b/c I went home grabbed the latest music magazine (ordering CDs from BMG or Columbia House)...and the deal was get 3 free, buy 1 (meet ur requirements), then get two more free...so that night I ordered AFD, Lies, UYI 1, UYI 2, and Spaghetti. And I listened to AFD for 6 months straight...nothing else. And I wouldn't let my buddy have AFD back until mine came in from BMG. I can't remember what the 6th CD I ordered was. It was a weird experience to b/c I felt like I was doing something wrong if I wasn't listening to GN'R. After that I had about a year binge on UYI 1 & 2...going back and forth, and my favorites for all the CD's kept changing. It was awesome.

Now they are favorite band by far...can't compare...oh and I bought a bunch of Izzy's CD's...3 or 4...downloaded the rest cuz I couldn't get them...and the Snakepit CD's. I never got Duff's, I should though. And I have VR of course. Long live GN'R.

Edited by Slash66

My mom was into GNR back in the day somewhat. Songs like SCOM she loved. There was always a copy of appetite kicking around. I one day thought I should listen to WTTJ. I poped it in and played it, turned it off. I went back again and again. I then played the whole album, over and over. It did things to my mind. Ive been hooked every since.

Hell, a small part of Crash Diet changed my life.

well my older cousins love gnr and always had a bunch of posters and they had the pinball machine but i never really knew who they were. then two years ago i got my first guitar and a song book w/ sweet child in it. i recognized the name guns n roses so i decided to learn that, so the sweet child o mine intro was the first thing i learned on guitar. while i was trying to learn it i got on the internet and watched the music video for sweet child. it blew my mind. i thought axl rose was like the coolest guy ever. and then i watched wwtj video and ever since ive been hooked. im really glad too because before that i listened to crappy music and it got me into real rock n roll.

A girl I was friends with brought in her Walkman and Appetite on cassette to our first period Science class back in 87 and told me to have a listen.

When the first verse of WTTJ came on I supposedly screamed out "HOLY FUCK" and proceeded to rock3

The class had a hearty laugh and the teacher came over and took the Walkman away.

well my older cousins love gnr and always had a bunch of posters and they had the pinball machine but i never really knew who they were. then two years ago i got my first guitar and a song book w/ sweet child in it. i recognized the name guns n roses so i decided to learn that, so the sweet child o mine intro was the first thing i learned on guitar. while i was trying to learn it i got on the internet and watched the music video for sweet child. it blew my mind. i thought axl rose was like the coolest guy ever. and then i watched wwtj video and ever since ive been hooked. im really glad too because before that i listened to crappy music and it got me into real rock n roll.

They had the pin ball machine? :o

There were only like 5 or so of them ever made.

My dad listened to gnr, so i instantly liked them from the time i was little, and they were my first favorite band and still are my favorite band. I even got sent to the principal when i was in second grade for singing the lyrics to "you could be mine". you know "with your bitch slap rappin and your cocaine tongue, you get nothing done" lol good times. :)

well my story is really boring but I got really hooked when i saw a special about the band in tv, before that I would hear some singles now and then but never cared to know more about the band, but then after watching that tv program i remember thinking to myself i need to buy their whole discography, so that i did and the rest is history! i've listened to GnR non stop for a year without listening to anything else, and it's today that i still am not tired of listening to them, they've become one of my favorite bands ever

and now with all the leaks and rumours i started to search on the internet cuz i can't get enough :P

oh and i also watched lots of dvds and vids that i would buy or find on the internet, best live shows ever!

PARADISE CITY ! me and my older sister were driving down the road blasting music then paradise city comes on and im like who the fuck is this!!! i think i was i hooked right after .... just such a great song i could turn that song on at anytime and it would lift my spirits and id be rockin out rock3 no matter how i felt ... paradise city is also what got me into music more since i hate punk...which is all there is right now... it got me looking back at people like ozzy , scorpions , metalica and other bands like that