Why does Axl Rose take criticism so personally?

Original Gunner

It's been brought to my attention that W.Axl Rose really seems to know about and respond to a lot of criticism that comes his way from the fans/media/internet and takes it very personally. I mean he dissed the NME live from stage during the last UK performances for writing shit about him, he has refused to give MTV and various other media outlets interviews in the past over negative comments and has even spoken out about two kids called Renato and Xozi posting shit on another Guns internet forum that he didn't approve of. Shouldn't a self-assured musical legend like Axl be above all this, stop holding grudges and just let his music do the talking?

DISCUSS rock1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunno i think it makes him more human. wen someone of his status responds to criticism it shows the critics that they can't get away with it like they usually do. rock stars should speak out more against their critics, if they can argue against their criticisms then it gives them more creditabilty, makes them seem more human and throws the shit back in the face of the people who think they know what they are talking about.

I understand why. Because Axl has feelings like us all. And things upset him. And you can feel piss,sad,or not give a fuck. And somethings shit can really hurt you. Evering make you cry or smash something. And telling people about it helps at least sometimes. If they dont say things back too make you feel wrost.

in one of his rants from the early 90's tour, Axl addressed why he responds to criticism or harsh words against him (you can find this rant in the audio section of mygnr.com)

in a nutshell, Axl basically says "why not?". and that since the people have every right to express their opinion about him, then he feels he should have every right to express his thoughts on those that talk about him publically.

Edited by GunsNHalen

It's been brought to my attention that W.Axl Rose really seems to know about and respond to a lot of criticism that comes his way from the fans/media/internet and takes it very personally. I mean he dissed the NME live from stage during the last UK performances for writing shit about him, he has refused to give MTV and various other media outlets interviews in the past over negative comments and has even spoken out about two kids called Renato and Xozi posting shit on another Guns internet forum that he didn't approve of. Shouldn't a self-assured musical legend like Axl be above all this, stop holding grudges and just let his music do the talking?

DISCUSS rock1

Rose also lambasted message board users at Rio 3.

I can't wait.. maybe he'll threaten to kick my ass at Rio 4!

It's embarrassing.. what happened to rock n' roll?

-Kickingthehabit

I don't have a problem with someone responding when they have been slandered by the media. The problem with Axl is that he throws a tantrum onstage and he sounds like a 10 year old whose mom won't buy him candy. It just makes him look bad and I'm sure that mick wall and the others he's ranted about are still laughing about it.

He's thin skinned and it's just his personality to strike out. But I also think he knows his fans like and expect some of these rants and he's happy to serve it up.

It's one of his trademarks at this point...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I don't have a problem with someone responding when they have been slandered by the media. The problem with Axl is that he throws a tantrum onstage and he sounds like a 10 year old whose mom won't buy him candy. It just makes him look bad and I'm sure that mick wall and the others he's ranted about are still laughing about it.

I disagree. Looks like Axl's showing he wont put up with shit.

Because he is a pompous delusional prima donna prick.

I like the guy and everything, but he is what he is.

Whatever anyone does, in the media or anywhere, there will be critisicm. No one is absent from it. This shit shouldn't bother him at all. After all, it is just someone's opinion.

Edited by Charisteas

What do you mean?

Everybody takes criticism personally.

What type of critisicm? Is it constructive, that helps you with your work to achieve something? or is it someone just being a hater?

I think Axl shouldn't give a shit about the 'haters'. I don't think anyone should give a shit about those people. They bring too much negative energy and it isn't good. Why Axl gives them the time of day is beyond me?

DISCUSS rock1

I think its more the ignorance of folks like yourself. Notice that every other thread you have started in this section ended up locked.. wonder why? :drevil:

He can respond intelligently, or he can swear and stamp his feet like a spoiled child. He usually does the latter.

DISCUSS rock1

I think its more the ignorance of folks like yourself. Notice that every other thread you have started in this section ended up locked.. wonder why? :drevil:

I think you'll find that happens b/c people like you throw your toys outta the pram and get into personal flame wars instead of focusing on the MUSIC. Just like your idol Axl. Ahh the irony, especially seeing that it's in this thread. :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

What do you mean?

Everybody takes criticism personally.

What type of critisicm? Is it constructive, that helps you with your work to achieve something? or is it someone just being a hater?

I think Axl shouldn't give a shit about the 'haters'. I don't think anyone should give a shit about those people. They bring too much negative energy and it isn't good. Why Axl gives them the time of day is beyond me?

I agree. But if Axl didn't take most of the criticism personally, he wouldn't be Axl.

He can respond intelligently, or he can swear and stamp his feet like a spoiled child. He usually does the latter.

Axl does respond intelligently. Things just upset him. So he shows it. I see northing wrong with it.