N.W.A. and GnR

Matty Boy

I think that N.W.A. are the Guns N' Roses of rap or Guns were the N.W.A. of rock. Both groups were the biggest and most controversial groups in their respective genres of music. GnR had charasmatic members like Axl, Duff, and Slash, whereas N.W.A. had charasmatic members like Eazy E, Dr Dre, and Ice Cube. Both groups had absolutely classic debut albums(Appetite for Destruction and Straight Outta Compton) which they followed up with ep's(Lies and 100 Miles and Running), and then they both disbanded after putting out albums that the critics labeled spotty and self indulgent(Use Your Illusions and hooray for tolerance!z4flife). There are many other similarities which i'm too lazy to write down but what do you guys think. If you know a lot about both groups, like myself, you have to admit that it's pretty shocking at how similar these groups careers were.

Edited by Matty Boy

Not similar at all, especially not "shockingly similar".

NWA roughed up rap a lot more than GNR did to rock. NWA came out with revolutionary new lyrics [from Ict-T and BDP, etc.] that scandalized the whole entertainment industry.

GNR saved rock from the likes of Poison and Yngwie [sp?] but that is nothing new in the history of rock, punk saved us from the New York Dolls and disco in the late 70's, and Nirvana saved us from Warrant and more mainstream, big $$ and big hair bands.

I love GNR - but they did not shake up rock the way NWA shook up rap.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

NWA roughed up rap a lot more than GNR did to rock. NWA came out with revolutionary new lyrics [from Ict-T and BDP, etc.] that scandalized the whole entertainment industry.

GNR saved rock from the likes of Poison and Yngwie [sp?] but that is nothing new in the history of rock, punk saved us from the New York Dolls and disco in the late 70's, and Nirvana saved us from Warrant and more mainstream, big $$ and big hair bands.

So, you have a point in one case, and you are overlooking every other similarity.

Ice-T was never A member of NWA. I think you mean Ice Cube.

Appetite for Destruction and Straight Outta Compton each had 3 huge songs. Guns had Jungle, PC, and SCOM and NWA had Straight Outta Compton, Fuck the Police, and Gangsta Gangsta. Both had killer album tracks about drugs such as Mr Brownstone and Dopeman respectively.

First things first- NWA fucking RULED. NWA was and always will be THEE greatest rap group ever with Geto Boys as a close second...

Now onto the quotation below:

...[from Ict-T and BDP, etc.] that scandalized the whole entertainment industry.

I'm assuming by BDP, you are speaking of Boogie Down Productions... right? And yes, ICE T was by himself. Ice Cube was NWA for the first album only until a reunion years and years later...

and Nirvana saved us from Warrant and more mainstream, big $$ and big hair bands.

that's not true really... Nirvana didn't actually "save" us from anyone... The only thing they did was kill- and they killed GN'R because although they were not at all on par with bands like Poison or RATT, they were closer in association with that form of rock than Nirvana was to something different that people started loving (who in the fuck knows why, anyway)...

Look at the respective group leaders, Axl and Eazy- E. Axl and Eazy had their bandmates quit on them and proceed to sue them. Both Axl and Eazy were slagged off by fellow musicians and the media after their groups fell apart. Axl was slagged off by Kurt Cobain, and Eazy E was slagged off by Snoop Dogg. Cobain and Snoop Dogg were the media darlings at the time and were portrayed as important and cutting edge, and Axl and Eazy E were portrayed as irrelevant has beens who had fallen off.

Edited by Matty Boy

ok just to play along, Dre tried to make a new nwa, with new members a few years back, having snoop replace Eazy E and rumors of MC Eiht replacing MC Ren. There was a bunch of hullabaloo and Eazys friends and family ripped it apart saying its not REALLY NWA because its not the original members. MC Ren was going to start his own NWA, but then the sides reconciled, and Ice Cube, Dre, and Ren did a song together calling themselves NWA.

Nirvana didn't actually "save" us from anyone... The only thing they did was kill- and they killed GN'R

I did mean Boogie Down Productions, and agree that NWA rule - though Ice-T [& bodycount] deserve a place too.

True enough - Nirvana killed GNR - and the Axl feud we all know about. I still love Nirvana, and GNR, because I like their music, and not the egos and I am not involved in their squabbles, but am free to listen to whatever I want, for whatever reason I want, including no reason at all. I guess we can agree to disagree about Nirvana.

But I still maintain that NWA did **much** more to rap than GNR did to rock. But that is my opinion.

Nirvana did not "kill" Guns N' Roses. After Nirvana released Nevermind, only albums GN'R released were YUI albums, which were insanely succesful. Unless you count SPI? as a real GN'R album, which you'd be stupid to, you have absolutely no idea how Nirvana would have affected GN'R sales.

And considering how well AFD has been selling over the years, it's pretty save to say Nirvana did NOT kill GN'R.

ok just to play along, Dre tried to make a new nwa, with new members a few years back, having snoop replace Eazy E and rumors of MC Eiht replacing MC Ren. There was a bunch of hullabaloo and Eazys friends and family ripped it apart saying its not REALLY NWA because its not the original members. MC Ren was going to start his own NWA, but then the sides reconciled, and Ice Cube, Dre, and Ren did a song together calling themselves NWA.

Really???

Nirvana didn't actually "save" us from anyone... The only thing they did was kill- and they killed GN'R

but am free to listen to whatever I want, for whatever reason I want, including no reason at all. I guess we can agree to disagree about Nirvana.

no, no, no... definately didn't mean to sound like I was attacking your musical preference... sorry bout that.

Word to your mother! :rofl-lol:

Look at the respective group leaders, Axl and Eazy- E. Axl and Eazy had their bandmates quit on them and proceed to sue them.

As cool as Eazy-E was, he never even wrote his own lyrics, not even on 187 um Killa. Im pretty sure dresta wrote the lyrics on that one. Didnt you guys ever hear that Eazy-E and Axl had done some recording together years ago? Was this ever confirmed?

Look at the respective group leaders, Axl and Eazy- E. Axl and Eazy had their bandmates quit on them and proceed to sue them. Both Axl and Eazy were slagged off by fellow musicians and the media after their groups fell apart. Axl was slagged off by Kurt Cobain, and Eazy E was slagged off by Snoop Dogg. Cobain and Snoop Dogg were the media darlings at the time and were portrayed as important and cutting edge, and Axl and Eazy E were portrayed as irrelevant has beens who had fallen off.

Also... they both died cause of AIDS!...

Oh wait... :drevil: