why Slash rejoining G'n'R is a plausible possibility

Madagascar88

I'm guessing we all saw this by now...

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?o...d=1249&Itemid=1

many of you seem to think that because of the recent tabloids regarding the whole Axl vs. Slash court cases and whatnot that there is no reason nor incentive for an Axl & Slash reunion. In fact, the level of hatred that many of you "Guns N' Roses fans" have towards former band members is absolutely disheartening.

The most important thing here is to remember that Axl & Slash are both human and like many of us, are capable of forgetting past disputes within seconds.

If you'll remember back in '91, Izzy Stradlin left Guns N' Roses. What followed was Axl ripping on Izzy at basically every opportunity he got. Tensions were high between the two former H.S. classmates until Gilby injured himself in the motorcycle accident.

When Izzy offered to return, it was as of nothing had happened. In fact, for those 5 tour dates in '93, it was as if Izzy had never left. Axl praised his appearance on stage and Izzy stayed following the tour to help out in the recording studio for some time to follow.

We all know that following the recent events it would seem to us that Slash & Axl despise one another and will never work out their differences. But, the exact same could've been said about Vince & Tommy of Motley Crue or Steve and Joe of Aerosmith... court cases against one another, newspaper articles slamming the opponent, anger & resentment. Forgetting past differences is only human - even if in the past week, one denied the other entry into his former bands concert.

The two most essential elements to the sound of Guns N' Roses are Axl and Slash. We all have heard the bootlegs from 2002 and I think it a presumable argument to say that it did not sound like G'n'R. As great a guitar player as Buckethead and Finck are, they are not Guns N' Roses. However open I am towards the new sound of Guns N' Roses (I LOVE the new tracks), I and assumingly many of you still crave for the old sound to still be present. Slash returning is the only way that the sound of the old G'n'R, the biggest band in the WORLD from '89-'93 can be restored even if the physical image is still off.

That said, Duff McKagan will NOT be offered an opportunity to return to Guns N' Roses until Tommy Stinson decidingly leaves the group on his own. We all know Axl to be the commander-in-chief of Guns N' Roses and we all know that Axl pays homage to those that are loyal to him. Case Numero Uno is Dizzy Reed. Hell, Axl even hired Paul Tobias, a friend of his back in Indiana, to join the band even though the guy was just an average guitar player at best. Someone like Tommy, who has never been anything but trustworthy to Axl, answering his call whenever asked, will never be kicked out of the band to be replaced by another - even if that other is Duff.

By 1997, Guns N' Roses was in shambles... the band was divided into camps that seemingly assumed crass communications at best. But, even with Axl controlling the band, he NEVER kicked anyone out. Despite turmoil that we could imagine, Axl assumed what he thought was the best thing for the band and kept it together until Slash/Duff/Matt left on their own account. It was never Axl's position to fire another... in fact, the only time he did was with the Adler case, and that was outside the general constraints.

In conclusion, Slash returning in the near future should not be considered an impossible idea. However, a true Guns N' Roses reunion is something that I don't think is yet on the horizon.

But if there is going to be a reunion would CD ever see the light of day? A reunion would be the best thing ever, but there would always be the wonder of what was Chinese Democracy going to be like? would it have been better than anything we have ever heard? In my opinion you can say all you want about CD's songs not being that great but we have only heard a handful of songs and none of them are studio. We would never know how good they could have been.

rock4

where do we go? where do we go now? where do we go?

no one nows

in 5 years could happen almost anything...CD release...GNR back in the top of the world, sold out world tours, another album, reunion gigs, and a formal reunion by old gunners

who knows?

where do we go? where do we go now? where do we go?

no one nows

in 5 years could happen almost anything...CD release...GNR back in the top of the world, sold out world tours, another album, reunion gigs, and a formal reunion by old gunners

who knows?

no-one knows what will happen thats why i live life to the full

dont get me wrong, id love to see axl and slash together again....just not right now. this new band is freakin awesome and i want to hear what they have to offer. the bad thing about that is, slash sucks on his own/with velvet revolver. the only time slash produced anything good was when he was with axl. so, while the new band is doing great.....slash is stuck wasting his talent

slash sucks on his own/with velvet revolver. the only time slash produced anything good was when he was with axl. so, while the new band is doing great.....slash is stuck wasting his talent

And Axl hasn't surpassed old GNR's best work either, so I guess that means he is wasting his talent also. Nothing we have heard from any members solo efforts surpasses WTTJ, SCOM, NR, PC or Estranged. So all that goes to show is that the sum of GNR was greater than its individual parts.

Good post. Personally I'd love to see Slash back, but this kind of dampens my expectations of any sort of a reunion:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=68290

I've been waiting to hear some sort of evidence to denounce the rampant reunion rumours. What we've heard so far has been infrequent and unconvincing. I had no reason to doubt the reunion talk (perhaps no reason to believe it either, but that's beside the point). Well, this interview with Duff seems to pretty much indicate a reunion isn't happening...even if it would only be Slash. If Slash left VR then VR would surely be dead.

Oh well, I suppose it's not hard proof. This could still be a massive cover up...damage control. Matt with his pre-emptive strike...Duff to lend credibility to VR moving ahead. It would cool as shit to see the old Gunners on stage again.

Although the new band is more than enough to satisfy me.

slash sucks on his own/with velvet revolver. the only time slash produced anything good was when he was with axl. so, while the new band is doing great.....slash is stuck wasting his talent

And Axl hasn't surpassed old GNR's best work either, so I guess that means he is wasting his talent also. Nothing we have heard from any members solo efforts surpasses WTTJ, SCOM, NR, PC or Estranged. So all that goes to show is that the sum of GNR was greater than its individual parts.

I agree, but you have to consider we have only heard demos and barely rehearsed live versions. The songs could have drastically changed, and I truly believe Better, CITR,Maddy and the Blues may just hold their own with the classic songs.

Excellent initial post. A player like Slash is the one thing the new band lacks... and it would get the fans and media of Axl's back... let's face it... beyond us diehards... no one else gives a damn just as long as Axl and Slash are back together... most people would go to a Guns' show and figure Tommy Stinson was Duff and Fortus was Izzy anyway... Also, CD would be GUARANTEED HUGE... which would get the record execs. off Axl's ass too.

The only thing I conclude from the Duff article above is that Duff, Scott and Matt are all still in VR... and that VR... in some form... will carry on. Frankly, the stuff Duff is talking about doesn't sound anything like Slash would be into at all... in fact, it almost sounds like ideas you would throw around if you knew that your star lead guitarist was no longer in the band... do you think if given a choice... Slash would rather try to write riffs to a Prince concept album produced by a hip hop star... OR... come up with riffs for CITR, TWAT, IRS and tour around with the biggest rock band in the world and be a part of rock history?

Good post. Personally I'd love to see Slash back, but this kind of dampens my expectations of any sort of a reunion:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=68290

I've been waiting to hear some sort of evidence to denounce the rampant reunion rumours. What we've heard so far has been infrequent and unconvincing. I had no reason to doubt the reunion talk (perhaps no reason to believe it either, but that's beside the point). Well, this interview with Duff seems to pretty much indicate a reunion isn't happening...even if it would only be Slash. If Slash left VR then VR would surely be dead.

Oh well, I suppose it's not hard proof. This could still be a massive cover up...damage control. Matt with his pre-emptive strike...Duff to lend credibility to VR moving ahead. It would cool as shit to see the old Gunners on stage again.

Although the new band is more than enough to satisfy me.

Slash does not have to leave VR to tour with GNR. Even if he were to come back, its not llike he would be re-recording Chi-D. Otherwise we'd be waiting even longer!

Guest AxlRox
awww...i miss taht little fluff ball.

Dont we all!!

And I agree, Slash n' Axl work best together!!

Edited by AxlRox

Excellent initial post. A player like Slash is the one thing the new band lacks... and it would get the fans and media of Axl's back... let's face it... beyond us diehards... no one else gives a damn just as long as Axl and Slash are back together... most people would go to a Guns' show and figure Tommy Stinson was Duff and Fortus was Izzy anyway... Also, CD would be GUARANTEED HUGE... which would get the record execs. off Axl's ass too.

The only thing I conclude from the Duff article above is that Duff, Scott and Matt are all still in VR... and that VR... in some form... will carry on. Frankly, the stuff Duff is talking about doesn't sound anything like Slash would be into at all... in fact, it almost sounds like ideas you would throw around if you knew that your star lead guitarist was no longer in the band... do you think if given a choice... Slash would rather try to write riffs to a Prince concept album produced by a hip hop star... OR... come up with riffs for CITR, TWAT, IRS and tour around with the biggest rock band in the world and be a part of rock history?

Interesting theory. I guess that makes sense. Whether Slash would be into VR's new project or not, I'm sure that given the choice his heart would be with Axl and GN'R more than anything else.

luvaxl4ever...I think if Slash came back he would do his own parts. I don't think he'd just play what BH wrote. But I'm sure if he is back he has already recorded his own parts. He initially spoke with Axl last fall after all. He could have been working on his parts the entire winter.

Interesting theory. I guess that makes sense. Whether Slash would be into VR's new project or not, I'm sure that given the choice his heart would be with Axl and GN'R more than anything else.

luvaxl4ever...I think if Slash came back he would do his own parts. I don't think he'd just play what BH wrote. But I'm sure if he is back he has already recorded his own parts. He initially spoke with Axl last fall after all. He could have been working on his parts the entire winter.

Nice theory Kbear........you are one of the people on this forum I actually like........

W.

You give me the anger.

You give me the nerve.

Carry out the sentence.

I get what I deserve.

I'm just an effigy to be disgraced.

To be defaced.

Your need for me has been replaced.

And if I can't have everything well then just give me a taste.

NIN lyrics

Nice theory Kbear........you are one of the people on this forum I actually like........

W.

You give me the anger.

You give me the nerve.

Carry out the sentence.

I get what I deserve.

I'm just an effigy to be disgraced.

To be defaced.

Your need for me has been replaced.

And if I can't have everything well then just give me a taste.

NIN lyrics

I often disagree with you Warchild as I am more pro-old Gunners than not, but I also like the insights you bring. Food for thought, as you like to say. Whether we agree on an issue or we don't, things tend to be just a wee bit more interesting when you are around. :D JALP too. :o

But if there is going to be a reunion would CD ever see the light of day? A reunion would be the best thing ever, but there would always be the wonder of what was Chinese Democracy going to be like?

OMG, someone considering the possibility of Chinese Democracy never coming out!

You crack me up!