Checkmate Discussion Thread

Bucketslash

Nice to hear a more aggressive up-tempo track. Not sure if its Axl, if so, it'd fall in line with the production of "Catcher;" ie kinda shot vocals, more reverb, etc. This 15-second clip can't give you a real clue about the song, though. Can't wait to hear the rest!

I'm not sure if its Axl. it sounds like a good song, but I have my doubts its really him.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats is not Axl!

Anyone thinking that is Axl Rose is totally wrong.. I cant even believe this is now hetting onto 50 replies!!

I'm pretty sure it's Axl. I'll eat my pants (gusset first) if I'm wrong... If I AM wrong, that guy's got Axl's voice!

Edited by Leigh-Rok!

More signs are pointing to this as the real deal...no lyrics on Google (which still means it could be an underground band)...a few more listens have revealed this is the same voice on "Catcher," so I'm convinced.../Unfortunately it seems this is the same clip leaked to some DJ, who never received the full song to begin with.

However, knowing this song is out there, it's only a matter of time before the whole song is available for all to judge.

There have been a lot of fake tracks in the past, and I've usually been very sceptical about all of them.

But, with this one, I'd probably be more surprised if it wasn't Axl's voice. The lyrics ("no effort spared to save what we had") also seem to suit the GnR situation.

But, hey, who knows. ;)

I think this style of singing is what Axl referred to when he noted earlier in the year that some people may say, "this doesn't sound like Axl." I think it totally fits with the aggressive instruments in the background.

So Axl has like 4 completely different voices now. That's range and diversity right there. :shades:

I think this style of singing is what Axl referred to when he noted earlier in the year that some people may say, "this doesn't sound like Axl." I think it totally fits with the aggressive instruments in the background.

So Axl has like 4 completely different voices now. That's range and diversity right there. :shades:

Couldn't agree more.

Couldn't agree more.

It's gonna be interesting to see how all these different voices play out on tour. My guess is that CITR and Checkmate will be pushed back to the album after CD, letting Axl pick a voice and stay with it without having to constantly adjust.

Kinda sucks though...I really like CITR! We shall see! ;)

Axl's always had a wide range of vocal styles. Just listen to the first two tracks on Appetite - completely different from one another, but both very cool.

This clip sounds like his lower register voice, imo. Doesn't mean he sings the whole song that way.