What the Rock scene needs

Vincent Vega

I'm probably the only who believes this, but I think that the rock needs a big dose of psychadelia. Like stuff that is fun to listen to, but also will fuck with your head. Something experimental yet traditional, which will make people go "What the fuck is this??" but also be like "This is wild yet cool." Like in the line of ''See Emily Play'' by Pink Floyd or ''Dandelion'' by The Rolling Stones. Rock needs controversy and danger. Something that will shock people but entice them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I agree with you Mr. Miser, althought I don't really give a damn what happens in the "Rock scene". We have a whole Music scene to worry about.

Hopefully, the dominance of Rap will eventually give way to new and exciting forms of music with a rhythmic emphasis. Dance music will rise again and in a new way.

The Rock scene needs alot of things.

going back to the basics= pure, raw, volatile rock n' roll that resembles early GN'R.

Those aren't the basics.

Chuck Berry didn't do pure, raw, volatile rock n' roll. He did swinging boogie and rock n' roll.

The Rock scene needs alot of things.

Could start by getting rid of all these emo and screamo bands, then get rid of gay bands such as Nickelback, Green Day, Sum 41, the Killers etc and going back to the basics= pure, raw, volatile rock n' roll that resembles early GN'R.

emo and screamo arnt a part of the rock scene. they're their own area.

Gn'r4life: Wait, you're way, way off.

Did you just say that The Killers were gay?

Dude, their influences are The Cure, Oasis, The Smiths, New Order, and "Somebody Told Me" is one of the most kickass single of the last 3 years. Nothing is gay or bad about their influences, or them for that matter.

Dude, their influences are The Cure, Oasis, The Smiths, New Order, and "Somebody Told Me" is one of the most kickass single of the last 3 years. Nothing is gay or bad about their influences, or them for that matter.

Ha! He's GUNS N' FKING ROSES, but there's another with that username who is just as stupid and annoying!

Ha! He's GUNS N' FKING ROSES, but there's another with that username who is just as stupid and annoying!

Yeah, I figured that out after making the post. They're all little mini clones of each other though. <_<

I agree with you Mr. Miser, althought I don't really give a damn what happens in the "Rock scene". We have a whole Music scene to worry about.

Hopefully, the dominance of Rap will eventually give way to new and exciting forms of music with a rhythmic emphasis. Dance music will rise again and in a new way.

But do you think that Rap might totally overun Rock where Rock becomes a niche thing like Disco is today? Cause right now Rap and Rock are the two dominant forms of music in terms of influence. See, while Rap is popular by year, rock is more popular in the grand scheme of things. And it seems like Rap is really only huge in the US. From what I've heard Rock is still big in the rest of the world, especially in Europe.

We need a new 1960s: Drugs, good music peace and free love. We need artists who won't be afraid to expand their minds.

But do you think that Rap might totally overun Rock where Rock becomes a niche thing like Disco is today? Cause right now Rap and Rock are the two dominant forms of music in terms of influence. See, while Rap is popular by year, rock is more popular in the grand scheme of things. And it seems like Rap is really only huge in the US. From what I've heard Rock is still big in the rest of the world, especially in Europe.

We need a new 1960s: Drugs, good music peace and free love. We need artists who won't be afraid to expand their minds.

I agree absolutely.

Rock will never be compared to Disco, because Disco was purely a period genre. It was the most technologically advanced type of Dance music at the time, hence it became quite popular, now it sounds dated. I do think "Rock" is pretty much dead now though. Why? Because it's gotten as heavy and fast as it can possibly be (that's a dead-end), and the groups on the progressive edge owe more to Pop anyway (Radiohead, The Flaming Lips). What we need to hope for is a new form of danceable Pop. Something that emerges the same way Swing and Rock N' Roll did. These types of musics have such a wide-appeal, that they fuel years and years of innovations. For example, Swing gave way to Bebop which gave way to Hard Bop, Modal, and eventually Fusion (credits to Miles for most of that by the way). Or in terms of Rock N' Roll, well you know that story. So I think we need a new form of danceable Pop that the masses can relate to. This will also take a blurring of racial boundaries, and probably will need to be popularized by white performers doing black music, it just always happens this way, just look at Benny Goodman, Elvis Presley, and The Rolling Stones. I think the most important artist of this decade so far has been Gwen Stefani, because she's white, but acts black gracefully and without an ounce of doubt, appealing to white and black audiences. I think we have progressed enough that this kind of Pop music could do wonders for America socially as well.

I'm afraid we will be waiting a long ass time before rock becomes 'rock' again. It's being introduced to this generation as emo, screamo, whatever you want to call it. Most kids into those bands have probably never actually listened to Aerosmith or, GnR...actual rock. It's not like everyone is going to discover these bands especially when MTV is rotating Panic!at the disco music videos every free second of their reality- show-saturated schedule.

:( .

I'm afraid we will be waiting a long ass time before rock becomes 'rock' again. It's being introduced to this generation as emo, screamo, whatever you want to call it. Most kids into those bands have probably never actually listened to Aerosmith or, GnR...actual rock. It's not like everyone is going to discover these bands especially when MTV is rotating Panic!at the disco music videos every free second of their reality- show-saturated schedule.

:( .

I hate bands like panic at the disco they suck!!!! and fall out boy!!! Guns N Roses and Aerosmith Rock!!!!

Destroy rock n' roll.

Stop living in the fucking past, it will not come back.

OH! a-fucking-greed dude!!! :):):) what rock needs is for people to stop theorizing about what it needs n then tryna conform to the theory borne from theorising n get out there n be themselves n play how they feel!

To be honest, we need an original band. I'm getting sick of everybody sounding like each other. We have too many revivalists and no revolutionaries. Wolfmother & Jet need to realize that reviving the 70's isn't good enough, because Aerosmith, Led Zep, the Stones, Gn'R, they all became so popular because they didn't sound like each other, they had OBVIOUS influences, but they were all original, and now they have followers. ODS and others who say we need a new form of music have a point, but I love rock, and I want rock. I want someone to come up with a riff as good as "Walk This Way", or "Satisfaction", but not goddamn rip them off. I want someone original and special. Clapton is blues-rock and blues both at once, but his influences shine through without being the BASE for his music.

The rock scene needs innovative minds. We need people who can pick up a guitar, not try to be anything like what they've heard before, and play what they fucking want to play. Keith Richards dreamt up Satisfaction, then woke up and played it on his guitar, Joe Perry came up with the majority of riffs for "Rocks" after finding a broken guitar in the trash and playing around aimlessly with it. Slash was joking when he first played the intro riff to SCOM.

Some might say, well, we have good new(ish) bands out there right now, A7X & Buckcherry for example. Now, you all know I absolutely love Buckcherry, but the fellas don't have the ambition. Josh went off to do his glam rubbish then realized that all that BC were about, was played some hard, dirty rock. A7X are confused, emo choruses, classic metal riffing/soloing, cryptic lyrics, they're almost too abnoxiously ambitious. The Mars Volta? Pretentious and over-ambitious. Good, but pretentious.

What I'm saying in a nutshell is: Nobody in the young music (music, not only rock) scene is creating anything. You listen to a band today and it's all accessible, and the influences are so clear as hell. Bands nowadays set out to become something. All great rock bands which weren't supergroups, they started as a group of friends jamming. Aerosmith recorded their first album with something more primitive than software available on every standart PC nowadays. They started with ambition, but they weren't trying so goddamn hard to be a great band. We need that. We need a bunch of friends jamming and creating an original, intriguing album.

Its so hard to be original these days because its all been done and most bands that do try and be innovative just try too hard and end up sounding like shit, i am a fan however of artists having a huge range of influences and blending different styles together like Rufus Wainwright who you can tell has been influenced by Elton, Billy Joel, Jeff Buckley as much as Verdi and Maria Callas, aswell as the Flaming lips who seem somewhere in between the perfect pop harmonies of the Beach boys mixed with the psychedilia of Floyd and Radiohead but as for a new musical revolution, i cant see one coming soon

The problem is the lack of authenticity in modern music. For example, Blues is the bases for rock, but we hardly ever hear the blues influence in todays rock. My guess is that bands just try too hard to be origional, and that is a band thing. Dont get me wrong, its great to be origional, some of the greatest bands ever were very origional, but I cant think of a truley great band that didnt have some amount of authenticity.

Maybe that has something to do with how I define a "truley great band", but I really think thats it. Now, you can also argue that there isnt much talent to go around in todays rock scene. Nobody really idolizes guitarists, bassists, or even singers like they use too. I guess what it boils down too, the rock scene needs a lot of things, but authenticity and talent are the two big ones.