The '60s vs. The '70s

Vincent Vega

Ok, a sister thread to my '80s vs. '90s thread:

The 1960s versus the 1970s--

In the 60s we had Kennedy, we had Vietnam, We had the true birth of Rock N' Roll, and watched as the Rock N' Roll rose bloomed and so many times of Rock blossomed and thrived. Psychedelia, hard rock, blues-rock, even Metal was starting. We had the Beatles, Janis, Hendrix, we watched as Bob Dylan's career began, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Jefferson Airplane, we had the Stones starting off, The Doors, the Zeppelin began it's fleight by the end of the 60s. We had a revolution, culturally, musically and politically the country was divided more than it had been in a century, and at times there was true and frightening chaos in the riots, in the marches for peace and equality. This was a time for young people, and happiness, and and all everyone had a dream, of peace and love and tolerance, at all times and opportunties the elders discredited and discouraged the kids' freedom. We saw the Civil Rights movement take off. We had tragedies such as the Manson killings which were used as propaganda towards hippie groups. We saw some of the greatest leaders rise and inspire people's hearts only to be shot down in cold blood.

The 70s from what I've seen were more laid back and liberal. We also saw many bands' come to their greatest periods of musical inspiration and watched as Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, David Bowie and many other groups reached their peaks and battled for the Big Chair as the Biggest Band on Earth. We watched as Watergate unfolded and made people distrust the government less and less. Gas shortages. The long era of division ended as the last troops fleed Vietnam in '73.

This era saw the beginning of large and glamorous concert shows filled with lights and effects, it also saw the first true long Rock N Roll epics, and by the end of the decade the airwaves were filled with Punk, Disco, the beginnings of Glam and Hair Metal, and even some Regagge. We watched as the '60s dream of Peace and Love slowly faded away and the innocent, untamed decadence of the 60s was replaced by the "All about Me (and Blow too)" decadence and wild parties of the 70s; As bell-bottom widths got wider and hair length got shorter.

So, which decade is the best? And why?

The 60's....

the 70's the beatles broke up

the 60's had the yardbirds zeppelin, cream, the white album, hendrix, joplin, a skinny elvis,the beach boys,piper at the gates of dawn and hotter chicks

besides, liberals constantly insult my inteligence by forcing a one sided opinion on me and ridiculing my committment to stay independant

Edited by Bucketslash

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I've always seen it this way:

The '60s were times of innovation, and the '70s greatly experienced the benefit of those innovations. Music from the 1970's will always be more popular, if only because it doesn't sound as dated. But the fact is, the best albums of the decade came from groups who belonged more so to the 1960's. Because of The Beatles, The Doors, and others, and because of my recent lack of appreciation for Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, I'd give the edge to the '60s, although there are many more variables at work.

I did however, just watch Dazed and Confused, and I would much rather have lived in the '70s. I'm a weird person and it would've been easier to be me in a time of conformity. This won't make sense to you unless your weird too.

60's. It was a time of cultural,spiritual and musical revolution. Most of the bands thought of as 70's bands got started in the 60's i.e. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and many more. There were some good 70's bands, but the spirit of the 60's is just too powerful to deny.

70s.

Great decade for music: Rolling Stones had Some Girls, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street; Led Zeppelin had Led Zeppelin III, IV, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti, while Sabbath had Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol. 4 and Sabotage and Deep Purple released In Rock and Machine Head. Another kickass album from the 70s is American Beauty by Grateful Dead.

60s is a close second, but there's no decade that can really compare to the 70s. It was a great decade for Rolling Stones & Beatles - those two bands had the best albums of that decade imo.

Edited by Lithium

Tough one, but Aerosmith, the Dead, Thin Lizzy, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Clapton and even the Stones enjoyed their best times in the 70's.

The 60's kicked ass as well of course. The Experience, Cream, the Bluesbreakers, the Beatles, Janis Joplin...

Its a toss-up. I can't decide.

The 60's had Monterey Pop Festival, Woodstock and Altamont. Great music, the mini-skirt, go-go dancers. But JFK,MLK and RFK all got shot and the Vietnam War was not going well.

The 70's had Led Zeppelin, more stadium shows as opposed to festivals. Disco, well I hate it but it would have been cool to live in the Disco-era, no herpes or aids....yet. The Veitnam war finally ended, but there was the hostages in Iran, and Elvis died.

Good and bad in both decades.