Rap has done what Country could not do

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

You watch too much MTV

I never watch MTV, but I get some of their other channels (MTV Jams etc.) and cruise through those about once a week. I do just enough to know what's going on in the mainstream.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Country has never dominated the way Rap has though.

atom heart mother, it's one thing to disagree and argue reasonably, but all your capable of is immature jabs at me. I think I have a point here and you have none. You can shut it if your just going to call me an idiot without offering something worthwhile.

And besides, even if I had no point, do you have to be so rude?

it's the only way to counteract your stubberness.

there is little point to this thread.

atom heart mother, it's one thing to disagree and argue reasonably, but all your capable of is immature jabs at me. I think I have a point here and you have none. You can shut it if your just going to call me an idiot without offering something worthwhile.

Well it doesn't work for me, because when you insult me I just stop listening. In fact, that's total bullshit. Just stop being so rude.

Well it doesn't work for me, because when you insult me I just stop listening. In fact, that's total bullshit. Just stop being so rude.

ill try to be more articulate, because you are my friend ODS! I dont want you to be upset.

user1: 1+1=2

user2: Yeah and?

user1: 1+1=2

user2: Your point?

user1: That is my point.

nutjob.gifpounditupdated.gif

Edited by atom heart mother

You are all missing the point. The fact that Rap has appealed to white audiences the way it has is why it has achieved something Country could not do. Like someone else said "show me a black dude squaredancing", yes that's exactly my point. Rap has escaped it's "intended demographic" in a way Country never has.

Try actually reading my posts before you call me an idiot, idiots.

um, i did read your post, and you said "Both genres tend to be specific to certain races and geographies". you mentioned nothing about escaping the intended demographic. in fact, many would take that as a contradiction.

and may i say, good job of insulting people when they present nothing but facts while you bitch about how people are "taking little jabs at you" and "being so rude". hypocracy at it's finest, good job indeed.

You are all missing the point. The fact that Rap has appealed to white audiences the way it has is why it has achieved something Country could not do. Like someone else said "show me a black dude squaredancing", yes that's exactly my point. Rap has escaped it's "intended demographic" in a way Country never has.

Try actually reading my posts before you call me an idiot, idiots.

um, i did read your post, and you said "Both genres tend to be specific to certain races and geographies". you mentioned nothing about escaping the intended demographic. in fact, many would take that as a contradiction.

and may i say, good job of insulting people when they present nothing but facts while you bitch about how people are "taking little jabs at you" and "being so rude". hypocracy at it's finest, good job indeed.

I would take that as you missing my point.

I can't stand atom heart mother, he does the same thing in every thread, when all I want to do is talk about music. So if my frustration offended you, I'm sorry.

You watch too much MTV

I never watch MTV, but I get some of their other channels (MTV Jams etc.) and cruise through those about once a week. I do just enough to know what's going on in the mainstream.

Something I have noticed is how much MTV makes rap look like its on top while in reality it isnt, at least in Mid-Michigan.

Youre right about it varying among different areas though, because whenever I visit Detroit you still hear the loud hip hop bass comming from cars, but back up north you hear somebody drive by blasting Dani California. Ever since Green Day's American Idiot rap has been downhill in popularity where I live, then Stadium Arcadium pushed it a lot further. But when you turn on MTV all you see is hip hop music videos and reality TV shows.

I dont listen to country so I cant really comment on that, but hip hop is on its decline.

Edited by sweetness

You watch too much MTV

Something I have noticed is how much MTV makes rap look like its on top while in reality it isnt, at least in Mid-Michigan.

Youre right about it varying among different areas though, because whenever I visit Detroit you still hear the loud hip hop bass comming from cars, but back up north you hear somebody drive by blasting Dani California. Ever since Green Day's American Idiot rap has been downhill in popularity where I live, then Stadium Arcadium pushed it a lot further. But when you turn on MTV all you see is hip hop music videos and reality TV shows.

I dont listen to country so I cant really comment on that, but hip hop is on its decline.

i totally agree. Ever since green days ai. Rap slowly started 2 fad out. Then when 2006 hit rap was over.

Country music is associated almost exclusively with rural whites, and Rap is associated almost exclusively with urban blacks. Both genres tend to be specific to certain races and geographies, but only one has ever dominated popular music. Rap has been on top for about ten years, and it's really quite remarkable when you think of it this way.

This isn't meant to be racist or as an insult to Country music. Fuck, you all know me...

I think there is something more primal about rap that draws people of all races. It's all about the pulse, the beat, the chant...something tribal and perhaps shamanistic. A reminder that we all have a common genetic link and that clearly stirs something from deep within the collective unconscious. Plus, rap has a more genuine, gritty quality than modern country.

rap did not start getting really big until 2000. In the late 90's the stupid boy bands were on top. Were i am at rap is out. The rap era will come 2 a end pretty soon. I fucking hate rap.

What about 2Pac. He drew in lots of fans and Notorious BIG. They were both big in the 90's

Edited by Iron_Maiden_Rocks

You watch too much MTV

i totally agree. Ever since green days ai. Rap slowly started 2 fad out. Then when 2006 hit rap was over.

rap was over?

...didn't happen to catch the MVA's the other night?

rap did not start getting really big until 2000. In the late 90's the stupid boy bands were on top. Were i am at rap is out. The rap era will come 2 a end pretty soon. I fucking hate rap.

What about 2Pac. He drew in lots of fans and Notorious BIG. They were both big in the 90's

early/mid nineties - then it died to boy bands.

i would disagree eminem was the last great rapper and he was around from around 98

Country music is associated almost exclusively with rural whites, and Rap is associated almost exclusively with urban blacks. Both genres tend to be specific to certain races and geographies, but only one has ever dominated popular music. Rap has been on top for about ten years, and it's really quite remarkable when you think of it this way.

This isn't meant to be racist or as an insult to Country music. Fuck, you all know me...

I think there is something more primal about rap that draws people of all races. It's all about the pulse, the beat, the chant...something tribal and perhaps shamanistic. A reminder that we all have a common genetic link and that clearly stirs something from deep within the collective unconscious. Plus, rap has a more genuine, gritty quality than modern country.

I agree, there are really so many links between Blues and Rap.

i would disagree eminem was the last great rapper and he was around from around 98

I was talking bout 2pac and biggie. Eminem merely appealed to whites really.

Not at all, plenty of black Rap fans listen to Eminem.

You watch too much MTV

rap was over?

...didn't happen to catch the MVA's the other night?

i was talking about in my town

Not at all, plenty of black Rap fans listen to Eminem.

Fair enough. Country owns though.

i think this is a really interesting thread, i have to say i really enjoy certain kinds of rap at certain times. i agree with ODS that it's something to look at that rap has managed to permeate many facets of media, while country still seems to be a less mainstream thing. don't get me wrong those country guys have it down as far as selling records and concert seats - the numbers are pretty staggering, cause you don't hear garth brooks on pop radio every day and suddenly he's managed to sell millions and millions of albums.

personally i can't stand modern country - gimme some cash or waylon and i'm fine, but i really can't stomach this cowboy troy or toby keith garbage.

i come from long island in an EXTREMELY white town where there is a huge divide between the kids who like rap and the kids who like rock (i personally never had any problems with kids from either sect). the kids who listened to rap, i have to say, all spoke, dressed, and generally acted the same so i have to say there's something mindless about its followers.

it is like any other form of popular music, though, it goes through times of popularity and not, so to proclaim 'rap is dead in 2006' is a little broad.

another aspect that i read was that rap fans don't buy music - they just download it. personally i can say that i've bought, at absolute most, maybe 5 rap records. the music seems to be really short lived - you won't see a rap single in the number 1 spot of any countdown for more than like 2 or 3 weeks

i hope i made some kind of point in that post haha...

Edited by bass71player