The Many Voices of Axl Rose

Vincent Vega

Hey. I'm bored, and when I'm bored I think the most random shit. So, I was thinking, Axl really has many voices. Or many stylings of voice, to be more precise. It's quite amazing, I've never really seen any vocalist have this much range and variety on their vocals, except for Robert Plant (whose voice Axl's voice is said to have sounded like in his youth)

The Nasal Rasp- A weird, nasally, almost clean kind of Rasp used on much of AFD

Not that raspy and more punkish, almost whiny in sound.

The First Rasp- The Original Rasp, almost a mix of rasp and normal voice used in the tours of 87-88, and in use today.

UYI Rasp- Much deeper, and raspier, with a short range, and sometimes overdone. Sounds almost like broken glass in his throat at times, as one member here said.

Low Voice- That really really deep voice like on "It's So Easy"

Normal Singing voice- Like that used on Patience (the non-screaming parts). Almost crooner-ish.

Soft Voice- Listen to the "Just as every cop is a criminal..."part of the SFTD. Almost feminine in sound and intonation.

The New Rasp- A high pitched, alternatively clean and raspy voice first heard on SFTD in '94 and largely throughout the 02 tours.

Edited by Mr. Miser

Hey. I'm bored, and when I'm bored I think the most random shit. So, I was thinking, Axl really has many voices. Or many stylings of voice, to be more precise. It's quite amazing, I've never really seen any vocalist have this much range and variety on their vocals, except for Robert Plant (whose voice Axl's voice is said to have sounded like in his youth)

The Nasal Rasp- A weird, nasally, almost clean kind of Rasp used on much of AFD

Not that raspy and more punkish, almost whiny in sound.

The First Rasp- The Original Rasp, almost a mix of rasp and normal voice used in the tours of 87-88, and in use today.

UYI Rasp- Much deeper, and raspier, with a short range, and sometimes overdone. Sounds almost like broken glass in his throat at times, as one member here said.

Low Voice- That really really deep voice like on "It's So Easy"

Normal Singing voice- Like that used on Patience (the non-screaming parts). Almost crooner-ish.

Soft Voice- Listen to the "Just as every cop is a criminal..."part of the SFTD. Almost feminine in sound and intonation.

The New Rasp- A high pitched, alternatively clean and raspy voice first heard on SFTD in '94 and largely throughout the 02 tours.

Pretty close, but I heard his Mr Brownstone voice is his original singing voice.

I agree with the majority of what Wasted has said, Axl has definitely used the time between tours to brush up on his singing technique. however in 01/02 i would say there was no "rasp" whatsoever.... it was like uber clean and high pitched.... like mickey mouse on helium... Axl stilll does it when he sings TWAT live...... he just needs to get his voice in shape for that song. When i saw them though, both times his voice was fantastic. What i'm interested to know is... did anyone prefer any of the songs in the set with the 2002 helium whine? I didn't but people's tastes are different..... anyone?

Isn't it funny that he can't or don't want to go us high as he did in 02? This is really obvious in the end of The Blues with the aa-aa-aa stuff.

Also, he won't go as high in IRS as on the demo of the song. Maybe it hurts too much to go that high? I have no idea, but what a weird change that is. It's like his highest pitch dropped a few notches down :unsure:

He sings pushing the sound differently. With more closed throat, that's where you push the rasp. And that hurts if you don't do it properly. And Axl didn't before, that's why his throat got fucked up. Every singing teacher in the world would say that if you want to destroy your throat, sing like Axl.

It doesn't and shouldn't hurt to go that high. Actually the way Axl sang during ´02 in my opinion preserved his voice. Now I'm afraid he will destroy it again. But that's the price of rock n' roll. He could sing like in ´02 still but he goes for the raspier sound, which is great :D And judging the Monitor Mix I have he has learned to control his rasp a bit so it's not as rough on his vocal chords.

I have rock3