A theory as to why there is no single or promo

bax

I realize this is highly speculative, but what if there is not a single before the album's release planned at all? IMO it would be very unwise, but other artists have done it in the past. Axl and Merck may feel that they will be able to sell CD based on the GN'R name alone and they may hope to take advantage of people who still think Slash, Duff, etc. are still in the band. Sometimes those of us that frequent forums don't realize just how little the average music fan knows about GN'R as it is today. Every time I get into a conversation with someone about GN'R, they will always ask if Slash is still in the band.

Perhaps there will be no elaborate promotion at this point because it would have to involve advance copies being sent to radio stations, reviewers and record stores. If advance copies went out, it would be highly likely that CD would leak. Maybe that's what they are trying to prevent. Besides, when a release date is revealed, it will be big news in all media. This would be the best promo possible and it wouldn't cost a dime.

Coupled with a few well-placed ads, it could be all they need to guarantee huge sales.

I realize this is highly speculative, but what if there is not a single before the album's release planned at all? IMO it would be very unwise, but other artists have done it in the past. Axl and Merck may feel that they will be able to sell CD based on the GN'R name alone and they may hope to take advantage of people who still think Slash, Duff, etc. are still in the band. Sometimes those of us that frequent forums don't realize just how little the average music fan knows about GN'R as it is today. Every time I get into a conversation with someone about GN'R, they will always ask if Slash is still in the band.

Perhaps there will be no elaborate promotion at this point because it would have to involve advance copies being sent to radio stations, reviewers and record stores. If advance copies went out, it would be highly likely that CD would leak. Maybe that's what they are trying to prevent. Besides, when a release date is revealed, it will be big news in all media. This would be the best promo possible and it wouldn't cost a dime.

Coupled with a few well-placed ads, it could be all they need to guarantee huge sales.

I think you may be right.

Dude...give me an effing break. A single has to be released, its how sales and interest are generated. Guns N Roses has been defunct for over a decade. The name is not even close to what it used to be in 1991. It would be suicide to release an album without a single. You think Universal who poured in over 13 million are going to risk this project on it selling solely on the gnr name? That's not how it works. If I were to venture a guess at what's going on behind the scenes: CHAOS. They are at the mercy of Axl who is unpredictable to say the least. That doesn't lend itself well to deadlines and schedules.

But you are right about one thing, they will try to capitalize on the old band's fame indirectly by neither promoting their new lineup nor outright denying the old one. You'll just get feeble attempts like the one on the website.

Don't you think by now a full band shot is long overdue? I mean an official one to be put on the website? The way the new band is being marketed is not only unprofessional but disrespectful to the new band members.

Dude...give me an effing break. A single has to be released, its how sales and interest are generated. Guns N Roses has been defunct for over a decade. The name is not even close to what it used to be in 1991. It would be suicide to release an album without a single. You think Universal who poured in over 13 million are going to risk this project on it selling solely on the gnr name? That's not how it works. If I were to venture a guess at what's going on behind the scenes: CHAOS. They are at the mercy of Axl who is unpredictable to say the least. That doesn't lend itself well to deadlines and schedules.

But you are right about one thing, they will try to capitalize on the old band's fame indirectly by neither promoting their new lineup nor outright denying the old one. You'll just get feeble attempts like the one on the website.

Don't you think by now a full band shot is long overdue? I mean an official one to be put on the website? The way the new band is being marketed is not only unprofessional but disrespectful to the new band members.

I agree that it would be a horrible idea not to release a single, but it just seems to me that someone somewhere would have heard what it is, radio stations would be getting copies, a video would be done or in the works, etc. The whole thing just doesn't add up.

The record company is definitely at Axl's mercy, and they're probably afraid to start promotion when the album probaly hasn't been delivered to them yet.

Im really beginning to think that there is absolutely no way this album is going to be release in any sorta "conventional" way. Nothing about this album has been usual. Nothing about Axl is usual. Why should the release of the album, single, and possible video be any different.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if the single and album dropped the same day. We'd be lucky if we had a week's notice, if that.

Time will tell.

Im really beginning to think that there is absolutely no way this album is going to be release in any sorta "conventional" way. Nothing about this album has been usual. Nothing about Axl is usual. Why should the release of the album, single, and possible video be any different.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if the single and album dropped the same day. We'd be lucky if we had a week's notice, if that.

Time will tell.

Exactly. The whole thing is becoming tiresome - I'm almost as interested in the how and when the announcement is going to happen rather than actually getting my hands on the f**ker.

The leaks and European tour built some momentum amoung the loyal fan base, but the lack of a credible single to trumpet the fact that the band is back, plus the rushed feeling behind the album (after more than 10 yrs), is a publicity disaster. The post mortem on the launch will be an interesting process... Some major opportunities have been missed i.e. MTV VMAs.

Then again, AFD worked its way up through word of mouth and being on playlists - the quality of material spoke for itself. Let's hope that CD can do the same.

Axl wants this album to be a huge success to bury AFD. I'm fairly certain they were his own words. To do this he needs to have a series of singles from a stunning album. The singles will generate the new fans - as will downloads.

As for the original topic - I think you are correct to an extent. I dont think that Axl, Merck or anyone else is deliberatly using Slash & Duff's legacy and past status in the band to promote sales. They are using the GNR name, the GNR brand. Axl still believes in his own world that GNR are still the biggest and best band in the world. So why would need to promote anything! Thats my view - now I'm sure Merck has tried to explain the need for promotion after all its his job, and a job regardless of what we think he's good at, but would you risk telling Axl what to do when the release of an album which has cost $13m is so close?

Nope, thought not. Merck is taking a calculated risk - an album without promotion is better than all of the $13m down the toilet by it not being released.

But who knows - maybe the delay of this tour is making time for a single, finalising the video etc...after all an album that took 10 years to make is unlikely to have a video thrown together in a couple of weeks. I bet it took Axl a month to even show up at a shoot - if he's even in a video.

on those two points, i agree with you. i've thought about that myself. but, the idea of "tricking" the public would eventually create a great deal of backlash. i don't think they want to do that.

Edited by artfromtex

whats the whole thing about leaks anyway? why doesn't this bother anyone else or affect their pre release promotion? if it leaks a week or two before the release so fucking what? only the real fans are gonna bother downloading it and still buy it anyway.

nobody else will give a fuck and it will be available to download once officially released anyway.

all this talk of no promotion to avoid leaks seems like bullshit to me.

whats the whole thing about leaks anyway? why doesn't this bother anyone else or affect their pre release promotion? if it leaks a week or two before the release so fucking what? only the real fans are gonna bother downloading it and still buy it anyway.

nobody else will give a fuck and it will be available to download once officially released anyway.

all this talk of no promotion to avoid leaks seems like bullshit to me.

Agreed, not to mention half the album has already leaked anyway, yea not studio versions but still; we've heard a bunch of songs taht will be on CD. Every album leaks these days, it's part of the process.