The Meaning Behind The Mayhem

wasted

The song titles of all the songs seem not to be featured in the actual song. It seems like as the albums progress the songs get harder to define as to what they mean. For example, AFD songs all have titles which are reflected in the chorus and seem real easy to understand. UYI songs seem to get a little less obvious but by the time we get to the new stuff there's songs called Madagascar and quite a lot of the lyrics are hard to work out what they actually mean. Like CITR what the hell is it about? Chinese Democracy the song for example is very ambiguous. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's seems more sophisticated. Where the songs used to be baseball bats that you hit the audience over with the head, now the songs are like diamonds which twinkle and give off meanings here and there but you are left with a degree of uncertainity about what it is. What is it? Is it.

He's not. Where is Chinese Democracy in the chorus or even the song.

Madagascar? No line from the song, let alone a chorus.

Silkworms? Not mention there.

Oklahoma? No.

Not many of the songs have real choruses either. Well, not in the same way as Nightrain does.

Oklahoma? No.

Not many of the songs have real choruses either. Well, not in the same way as Nightrain does.

Oklahoma? Okay buddy. I'm sure you've heard that.

Silkworms? Shitty song. Don't think we'll ever hear it released... at least in the form it's in now. So who cares.

Madagascar? Look up what Madagascar is and the lyrics might make sense.

Chinese Democracy? Not that hard to figure out.

The rest of the leaks that we've heard so far do contain their title in a lyrical form... and also make sense.

So, what are you talking about here?

Rhyiad of the Bedouins is Oklahoma?

Ok it's not the biggest deal of all time but there is a definite difference in the songs in terms of subtley and in lyrics in general and naming of songs.

The new songs are much more complex or mysterious than previously. I mean really the old songs were so direct but the new ones take a few listens then I'm still like what?

CITR for example what is that about? Estranged was a long song but I got the idea very quickly.

Maybe in a broader context I'm saying how will these songs transfer to new audience. I've been sla

Speaking of which, I still think that The Blues deserves a more interesting title - It's my favorite song, but the title is just very nondescript.

the blues is a very powerful title as it represents the darkest days in a human life, a broken heart.

It could be called "ballad of the broken heart" but then it will sound like axls trying to do his version of listen to your heart

The Blues is ok but it sounds like an Elton John track. I like the line about "stardust on my feet" but can't see it as a title. Stardust Blues sounds like an Izzy song title.

I'm most intrigued by Madagascar. Why? WTF?

I sort of almost understand Chinese Democracy if I say he's describing a state of mind. Like a no win situation. But why Chinese Democracy. And what is the chorus there. I like that song the most out of all the songs. It's like Custard Pie by Zeppelin, like what the fuck is it about but it sounds cool.

Madagascar is supposedly about the old band but i think it's about Axl's battle aganist people who bring him down.

Chinese Democracy, well... Axl was inspired by it when he saw the end of the movie Kundun, where the Dalai Lama looked back on people who helped them and they were skeltons. And he said it had no pro's or con's aganist the chinese government. so maybe China was used as an example?

For CITR i don't have a clue... regretment? maybe that's why Axl sings "i wish i brought a gun"

Rhiad seems to be about something he could save us or someone else from.

but CD looks to be an amazing album

(please note that these are my reflections of the choruses and hooks of the songs, NOT THE ACTUAL SONG ITSELF)

The Blues - Has no hook as far as I'm concerned.

Madagascar - See above.

Chinese Democracy - Has something which could be called a chorus, but nothing spectacular.

Rhiyad and The Bedouins - Meh.

Silkworms - Huh?

I.R.S - Has something but doesn't have a definitive hook

TWAT - Almost has something there, but fails to be great.

Better - This is pretty close but hardly as catchy as it should be.

CITR - No...

Oh My God - This was the closest to having a hook. It wasnt as good as it should have been, but chances are it wont be seen ever again anyway.

ok lets settle this.

Songs don't have to use the name of the title in the lyrics. if you look some of those tracks you'll see why they have those names.

A lot of the time the title portrays the imagery the artist is trying to get across

Chinese Democracy: the lyrics here i think do satisfy the title and subject matter. about the state and actions of the current communist government.

Madagascar: This is an island separate to the mainland off Africa, ie cut off from the mainline. In the lyrics axls comparing this to the rift of him and his old "friends". It was also highly fought over in the 2nd year war, with Hitler wanting to use it as a kind of alcatraz for all of Europe's jews.

hes not so dumb is our axl :P

Oklahoma? No.

Oklahoma? Okay buddy. I'm sure you've heard that.

Silkworms? Shitty song. Don't think we'll ever hear it released... at least in the form it's in now. So who cares.

Madagascar? Look up what Madagascar is and the lyrics might make sense.

Chinese Democracy? Not that hard to figure out.

Why don´t you post what you think the songs are about if you´re so sure? Makes no sense to just say you understand them and not post your personal translation of them. I for one would say the discussion would be more vivid and insteresting if you (and others) did.

The Blues is ok but it sounds like an Elton John track.

I guess that's why they call it the blues, time on my hands could be time spent with you. Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder... under the covers. And I guess that's why they call it the blues.

Speaking of which, I still think that The Blues deserves a more interesting title - It's my favorite song, but the title is just very nondescript.

I agree.. I love the blues. Great lyrics and it gets to me more than any new song.. I love the catchy Better too and think IRS is great, but the blues is so much more.. deeper in a way imo.. the blues seems like a really simple title to a much more complex song. now i'm used to the blues though and a lot of others are too, so changing it now i think is dumb.. it could be called "heart" or something to do with heart in one word, that'd be cool.. broken heart, is a bit too simple.. something that reflexts on the bitterness about the song.. the sadness.. i love it..

That's just what I don't get. People don't seem that bothered about new songs.

And some like Silkworms and Ryiad get ass raped. This never happened with old GNR it was wall to wall classics no doubt. I remember saying to someone once. Listen to this album you can't argue with me this is great whatever genre or whatever this is great. that record was AFD. Never Before and Never Again.

To me after time for leaks to sink in...

Better and CITR are worthy of GNR. The Blues and Madgascar as well. Chinese D also. And IRS.

If its a 12 track album theres 6 songs so far no worries. TWAT is also great so we need 5 more belters and it's a wrap.

Maybe it is just as simple as the fact that as those writing the lyrics have aged and maybe, even contrary to public opinion, matured a little their thinking has evolved and grown to include subjects more complex then sex, drugs and the first stirings of bewildering love? Just a possibility.

That's just what I don't get. People don't seem that bothered about new songs.

And some like Silkworms and Ryiad get ass raped. This never happened with old GNR it was wall to wall classics no doubt. I remember saying to someone once. Listen to this album you can't argue with me this is great whatever genre or whatever this is great. that record was AFD. Never Before and Never Again.

To me after time for leaks to sink in...

Better and CITR are worthy of GNR. The Blues and Madgascar as well. Chinese D also. And IRS.

If its a 12 track album theres 6 songs so far no worries. TWAT is also great so we need 5 more belters and it's a wrap.

Dude I really like reading your posts but you wear me the fuck out. LOL! - :D