How different is 2006 from 2001-02?

worldwideboss

Everytime I hear a 2001 or 2002 concert and a 2006, I can't get over how different they are in just about everything.

The first thing you notice are the looks. In 01-02, you had an Axl Rose who didn't know whether he was a rapper or a rocker. Then you had a goth with a sock stuck in his head, a freak in a yellow coat with a white mask and a KFC bucket in his head and to complete this, you had a bassist dressed in horrible chess patterns. In 2006, you still have the same bassist dressing the same horrible way, but Axl Rose actually made up his mind and decided (t-)shirts and jeans were more appropriate for a rock show. Robin Finck stopped shaving and got himself some decent clothes and that yellow-wearing-freak got replaced by a normal looking guitarist.

Seriously, I like Buckethead's solo work and think he's an amazing guitarist, but when I go to a rock concert I don't expect to see a 7-foot tall guy dressed like only moving his fingers. I want the guys to show some emotion in what they're playing. If I want to see just some virtuosos playing, I can either go see Bucket solo or watch G3.

Then, you have the vocals. Seriously, I dare anyone to say Axl sounded good at that time. In every show I have (and I have MSG and Boston, for the record), he sounded absolutely horrible. This is taken to a whole new level when I hear the so-called "one of the greatest Nightrains ever" from Pukkelpop 2002. That performance makes my ears cringe. I almost cry, because it is painful to hear - literally. He sounds like a little girl, with some whining screams that are just terrible.

Now, on to the present, he does struggle at times (especially during Sweet Child O' Mine and You Could Be Mine), but his vocals in almost every other song are top notch. Different from the old days? Yes. Worse? Not really. Just as good, I'd say.

Thirdly, Robin Finck is no longer a butcher - well, just a small one. He struggles with some transitions and comes off sometimes as sloppy, but in general his improvements were amazing.

Fourthly, the "3rd guitarist's" sound. I love Buckethead's guitarwork (I have already said it before), but I just don't think he ever fit GN'R. Not only does he dress in a strange way and does some weird dancing stuff, I also think his sound is too clean for a rock band. I am no guitar expert, but that's how it comes off to me. Bumblefoot has a dirtier, more electronic sound that sounds great.

Fifthly, the sound of the band has a different edge. The songs sound meaner, heavier and... I don't know, they just sound better. I feel the band has a come a long way and plays the hell out of all the songs, old or new.

Sixthly (does this even exist?), the vibe is completely different. I am not comparing the show I was at, because I would be biased, but comparing Rock am Ring or Inland Invasion (two pro-shots) with Rock In Rio 3 or even that little performance at the VMA is like wine and water. The band sounds like a band, not just a bunch of guys thrown together. They look like a band and interact like a band. As you watch the videos, you get the feeling that it is Guns N' Roses. That's something I cannot express by words - I just feel it. I do this year - then, I didn't.

And seventhly, the inclusion of some new killer tunes to the setlist (I.R.S., Better, T.W.A.T. - though not vocally great live, Finck is a joy to watch in those performances), plus some work on the previously added songs (The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy) has really set the tone for the time to come, which promises to be amazing.

To conclude, I think 2006 is a huge improvement from the first tour of the millenium. This year made me realise this is the band I love. I don't care about what has changed since the early 90's, as long as I enjoy the music. And I do. More than anything right now.

What do you guys think? Is 2006 really a huge improvement from 2001-02?

I don't know if this will get moved to Dust N' Bones, but I really didn't know in what topic I should express my opinion.

real good post

i wasn't lurking the forums in 2002, but based on the boots and news surrounding the tour i'd say this is a vast improvement and they're starting to gain some recognition for being a band.

i think axl even said this (maybe in the eddie trunk interview) and i think it's true that 2002 was neccessary for them to gel as a band and become what they are now, however atrocious it was (and it was f'ing atrocious...)

Edited by bass71player

It's a weird one cos it all came together with the arrival of Bumble. Even tho its Bucket on Better. To me the turmning point was Bumble/Better. And the more the band tour the more they seem to get mashed into that GNR mold. They are starting to fray at the edges and get all the stuff about themselves that you get at home kicked out of them. They sort of look like road dogs now. The last picture of Robin and Tommy looked like they are ready to go to work. Or do some more coke, either one, you choose.

From what I saw last night this tour is exactly like the videos on youtube. Im guessing the 02 tour was the same. Big Axl voice and band look difference. New lead guitarist. Love Rons personality and playing but after seeing Buckethead live, his compositions are in a league of there own. Exe. 02 Nightrain

The freaks have changed clothes. SOund attitude is more believable... Axl acts like he has some balls out there and not going through the motions. The crowd isn't going "what the fuck is MIX MASTER MIKE and CKY even in the house with AXL and co??"

Major differences between 2002 and 2006

1. the music sounds good

2. Axl and the band want to play

3. The band has had momentum going into the shows

4. The band is a tighter unit

5. Marginally less of a freakshow without bucket head

6. Touring with the promise of an album

7. Axl has showed up to every date thus far bar the ones which were postponed

Couldn't agree more. I've seen and heard lots of 2002 bootlegs (though didn't get to see the band live) and lots of it sounds painful, even sad to hear. The transformation that's taken place for 2006 is nothing short of staggering and this new band can finally hold a candle to the old line-up. In relation to Nightrain 2002, Buckethead's solos at the end sound much more meoldic than Bumble's, but without the classic Axl voice it can never be as good as Nightrain '06; Rock Am Ring- one of the greatest versions of that song I've heard.