In defense of Rap

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Over the last decade, Rap has become perhaps the most popular of all musical genres. Its stars dominate both music video channels and current radio stations, and it’s become the obvious preference of America’s youth. The ascendancy of Rap, however, has not occurred without its fair share of criticism. Rappers have been accused of sexist and materialist attitudes, and have caused controversy for their alleged promotion of violence and drug-use. However, out of all of the criticisms that Rap has endured, the most common has been the belief that Rap itself isn’t music. This belief is both unfounded and ignorant; Rap is truly as musical as any other genre, and is essential to the popular culture of America.

A common criticism of Rap is that “anyone can do it”. This is totally untrue. Anyone who has really attempted to rap knows just how difficult it is. Connecting a series of phrases, in rhyme, and maintaining continuity all the while is no easy feat. The attention to rhythm that is necessary in rapping is often taken for granted. In addition to fitting the backing track, rappers must also take care to emphasize certain words and command the listener’s attention through rhythmic variation. Above all, a Rap song contains far more words than a song of any other genre. The greater amount of lyrics in a Rap song constitutes a much greater effort in writing them.

The other half of Rap music, production, is also the object of much criticism. Due to the lack of live instrumentation in most Rap productions, many believe that “anyone can do it” as well. This is also untrue. Rap producers either compose their music on synthesizers, or rely on various samples to create their productions. Both methods require ingenuity and creativity on the part of the producer. But while the artfulness inherent in the composition of original music is easy to see, the science of sampling is often overlooked. Rap producers who choose to rely on samples must wade through masses of records (a process known as “digging in the crates”), in search of the sources from which they will create their music. The producer must then cut and fit these samples together in order to form the “hook”, or main phrase that will drive the production. Creating something memorable out of bits and pieces of sampled music is an art unto itself.

Born in Harlem in the late 1970s, Rap has remained the genre of choice among young, urban, African-Americans. As it centers on inner-city life, poverty, drugs, racism, and gang violence, Rap touches on subjects that, although not usually discussed in other genres, are integral to the lives of many people. Just as Country music appeals to masses of rural whites, Rap fills a much needed role in supplying urban blacks with a genre they themselves can relate to.

For as long as Rap music exists, it will endure its fair (or unfair) share of criticism. Due to its very nature, it has divided listeners like no form of music ever before. But despite its great differences from other genres, it should be considered nothing less than a culturally valuable form of music. When truly examined, the artistry involved in, and significance of Rap is indisputable. Rap will go on as a groundbreaking force in the music world, despite the naysayers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like any genre, there is good and bad. The major downside to rap is simply that it became over-exposed and, as is the case with rock and pop, many untalented people became more popular than the true artists. For every 50 Cent there's a Talib Kweli.

Which, in itself, gives it relevance.

The other half of Rap music, production, is also the object of much criticism. Due to the lack of live instrumentation in most Rap productions, many believe that “anyone can do it” as well. This is also untrue. Rap producers either compose their music on synthesizers, or rely on various samples to create their productions. Both methods require ingenuity and creativity on the part of the producer. But while the artfulness inherent in the composition of original music is easy to see, the science of sampling is often overlooked. Rap producers who choose to rely on samples must wade through masses of records (a process known as “digging in the crates”), in search of the sources from which they will create their music. The producer must then cut and fit these samples together in order to form the “hook”, or main phrase that will drive the production. Creating something memorable out of bits and pieces of sampled music is an art unto itself.

I think rap music is the best produced genre of them all.

It's not easy to dig through those crates at all, but they rarely ever get credit for it.

I think rap music is the best produced genre of them all.

It's not easy to dig through those crates at all, but they rarely ever get credit for it.

Jackie boy, go listen to Talib Kweli. He's like Tupac in terms of his outlook and poetic approach.

Over the last decade, Rap has become perhaps the most popular of all musical genres. Its stars dominate both music video channels and current radio stations, and it’s become the obvious preference of America’s youth. The ascendancy of Rap, however, has not occurred without its fair share of criticism. Rappers have been accused of sexist and materialist attitudes, and have caused controversy for their alleged promotion of violence and drug-use. However, out of all of the criticisms that Rap has endured, the most common has been the belief that Rap itself isn’t music. This belief is both unfounded and ignorant; Rap is truly as musical as any other genre, and is essential to the popular culture of America.

A common criticism of Rap is that “anyone can do it”. This is totally untrue. Anyone who has really attempted to rap knows just how difficult it is. Connecting a series of phrases, in rhyme, and maintaining continuity all the while is no easy feat. The attention to rhythm that is necessary in rapping is often taken for granted. In addition to fitting the backing track, rappers must also take care to emphasize certain words and command the listener’s attention through rhythmic variation. Above all, a Rap song contains far more words than a song of any other genre. The greater amount of lyrics in a Rap song constitutes a much greater effort in writing them.

Born in Harlem in the late 1970s, Rap has remained the genre of choice among young, urban, African-Americans. As it centers on inner-city life, poverty, drugs, racism, and gang violence, Rap touches on subjects that, although not usually discussed in other genres, are integral to the lives of many people. Just as Country music appeals to masses of rural whites, Rap fills a much needed role in supplying urban blacks with a genre they themselves can relate to.

For as long as Rap music exists, it will endure its fair (or unfair) share of criticism. Due to its very nature, it has divided listeners like no form of music ever before. But despite its great differences from other genres, it should be considered nothing less than a culturally valuable form of music. When truly examined, the artistry involved in, and significance of Rap is indisputable. Rap will go on as a groundbreaking force in the music world, despite the naysayers.

Say what you want, Rap is not music.. any jackass with a drum machine and pen and paper can rap.. and I think 8 mile proved you dont have to even be a jackass with a beat machine.. just a jackass. Rap is not music, because there are no actual musical instruments used in making the product. Rap is popular because black people have nothing else going for them aside from that, and white kids in suburbia are dieing to fit in somewhere. If rock was promoting violence the way rap does, or drug use the way they do, then I think we'd be back in the 80's with Dee snyder sitting infront of al Gore and the rest of the commettie, explaining how words are used to mean different things and music is left to be disected by the listener, as they want to. I think we know what happens when a white rockstar is a sexist pig, I.E Axl Rose, how many times has he been thrown under the bus for being a sexist, but yet lil jon and the rest of 'em can call women bitches and ho's, talk about fuckin 'em and leavin 'em, never love 'em and blah blah blah, and no one says anything. Ozzy sings a song that sounds like he says shoot shoot shoot.. some kid kill's himself, it's ozzy's fault.. but let DMX tell us to do a drive by and some dumbass does it, and DMX is sent dowm with jessie jackson and they not only get the kid out of jail, but DMX is a fuckin hero... Rap maybe an art form asfar as speech, if they would actually use speech instead of just sayin abunch of shit that dont make sence, but it sounds good.. like on the carter 2, anybody wanna tell me what "I dropped back like 32... step back like 33" means? Anybody? Anothe rthing that gets me, is you call it music, yet it all sounds the same, the only thing that ever changes is the ticks between the bass. Rap music is made for simple minded induviduals, who has no idea of what real music is, what real life is, and what dealing with real human emotions, is really about. It's used to create an illusion and tell a story, 8 nout of 10 rap stars really have no money... as was said on MTV, the only rappers that have money are lil jon, jayz and p.diddy. If you look at those three names, you'll see 2 things they all have in commin.. they all PRODUCE music... and have investments in other areas.. they didnt make their real money talkin over a beat machine.. they made it listenin to and producing this shit thats all over T.V and radio... I could go on for hours about how rap is slowly killing the good in humanity and is turning our children into lil bitchass wanna be thugs and whore's, and how it creates a bigger problem in a society riddled with problems by promoting violent music, while also backing people who are for a new breed of racisim against white people. Notice how it's slowly becomming a bad thing to be white? Everyone wants to be a hommie or G.. but thats for another topic.. but it's all related if u stop and look at it with a clear head and not a "we done this to them so just lay off" attitude, because Ihavent done anything to anybody.

See u proved my point and killed your argument.. how can you say you created music, when you're just simply stealing the music of somebody else? That'd be like me taking music from welcome to the jungle and putting my own words with it, and saying I wrote a song.. it dont work that way

Edited by oogieboogieman420

I gotta blue shoe, shoot me to the moon I drink a can of dew. Got my gat, gunna get it like dat, two caps split ya wig, dig a hole and bury the dead i just got 3 g's and a snoop deville, commin out of b'ville guns blazin got dat sticky icky, twist it up and lets get chineseyed.. two ho's in the backseat, three on dey knee's and i'm still ontop of da world.... there you go.. lil waynes next five songs, right there...

Say what you want, Rap is not music.. any jackass with a drum machine and pen and paper can rap.. and I think 8 mile proved you dont have to even be a jackass with a beat machine.. just a jackass. Rap is not music, because there are no actual musical instruments used in making the product. Rap is popular because black people have nothing else going for them aside from that, and white kids in suburbia are dieing to fit in somewhere. If rock was promoting violence the way rap does, or drug use the way they do, then I think we'd be back in the 80's with Dee snyder sitting infront of al Gore and the rest of the commettie, explaining how words are used to mean different things and music is left to be disected by the listener, as they want to. I think we know what happens when a white rockstar is a sexist pig, I.E Axl Rose, how many times has he been thrown under the bus for being a sexist, but yet lil jon and the rest of 'em can call women bitches and ho's, talk about fuckin 'em and leavin 'em, never love 'em and blah blah blah, and no one says anything. Ozzy sings a song that sounds like he says shoot shoot shoot.. some kid kill's himself, it's ozzy's fault.. but let DMX tell us to do a drive by and some dumbass does it, and DMX is sent dowm with jessie jackson and they not only get the kid out of jail, but DMX is a fuckin hero... Rap maybe an art form asfar as speech, if they would actually use speech instead of just sayin abunch of shit that dont make sence, but it sounds good.. like on the carter 2, anybody wanna tell me what "I dropped back like 32... step back like 33" means? Anybody? Anothe rthing that gets me, is you call it music, yet it all sounds the same, the only thing that ever changes is the ticks between the bass. Rap music is made for simple minded induviduals, who has no idea of what real music is, what real life is, and what dealing with real human emotions, is really about. It's used to create an illusion and tell a story, 8 nout of 10 rap stars really have no money... as was said on MTV, the only rappers that have money are lil jon, jayz and p.diddy. If you look at those three names, you'll see 2 things they all have in commin.. they all PRODUCE music... and have investments in other areas.. they didnt make their real money talkin over a beat machine.. they made it listenin to and producing this shit thats all over T.V and radio... I could go on for hours about how rap is slowly killing the good in humanity and is turning our children into lil bitchass wanna be thugs and whore's, and how it creates a bigger problem in a society riddled with problems by promoting violent music, while also backing people who are for a new breed of racisim against white people. Notice how it's slowly becomming a bad thing to be white? Everyone wants to be a hommie or G.. but thats for another topic.. but it's all related if u stop and look at it with a clear head and not a "we done this to them so just lay off" attitude, because Ihavent done anything to anybody.

See u proved my point and killed your argument.. how can you say you created music, when you're just simply stealing the music of somebody else? That'd be like me taking music from welcome to the jungle and putting my own words with it, and saying I wrote a song.. it dont work that way

Rap isn't the scourge of our youth. You're acting like kids wouldn't be bad if rap never existed. Sounds like something the Daily Mail or The Sun would say

EDIT: Just been listening to some Talib Kweli on his MySpace. Really enjoying it

Edited by Glick

No, I don;t feel that it's the reason kids are bad. I just think that if the lifestyle wasnt glamourized the way it is, and all these types of things wasnt presented like it is, then their wouldnt be as many bad kids. I don;t deny that in some aspects rap is something certain people have to be talented in order to acheive certain things, such as Bizzybone, and busta Rythmes, because them dudes are quick at the mouth... but thats it.. the actual music involved however, usually isn't music.. it's sampled chopped bullshit that somebody else made, or it's done on a beat machine or syntheziser... and thats just not music.. maybe if they would atleast bring in a drummer to create the beats, record that, and mix that and even bring in guitar's, it can be done, and sound good, like that one song by lil john, i dont know what the name of it is, but i'm sure you've heard it... but I think the guitar and shit are from a metal song i dunno, point is, no one's creating actual music, unless it's sampled music, and then somebody else is doin that..

There are some good points that I agree with you on that or well I agree with most of them.. but not all rap is utter bullshit, there's some good too IMO but the mainstream shit..

I gotta blue shoe, shoot me to the moon I drink a can of dew. Got my gat, gunna get it like dat, two caps split ya wig, dig a hole and bury the dead i just got 3 g's and a snoop deville, commin out of b'ville guns blazin got dat sticky icky, twist it up and lets get chineseyed.. two ho's in the backseat, three on dey knee's and i'm still ontop of da world.... there you go.. lil waynes next five songs, right there...

yah...

there ya go..

not everyone can rap..

as, you just proved right there..

sounds better than "H to tha izzo" or "girl grab tha wall and shake it like a dog"? Lyrical genius or ooh, my favorite, "to the window... to tha wall, til tha sweat drops off my balls, all you bitches crawl"... how could this world have ever maintained sanity and grip on reality without the poetic genius of Jayz and lil jon.. thank the lord nobody every caught them in a driveby when they were slingin junk on the street...

Edited by oogieboogieman420

Rap is popular because black people have nothing else going for them aside from that.

Have you been going to the Takeshi school for idiots? I didn't even bother reading whatever else you wrote, because you are clearly ignorant.

Thank you for sparing me the time.

Not a fan of rap at all unless you call Faith No More's Epic rap. But I must confess--There is a new group out of the Uk called The Go ! Team. They mix rap, hip hop, 70's movie theme songs, older rythem and blues artists, lots of cheerleading chants, great alternative electric guitar work---they just go eveywhere. It is really upbeat and happy music. On their full length there are 3 or 4 instrumentals as well. The rest are sung by a rapper called Ninja or chanting chearleaders. I know this sounds weird but I love this album even though I dislike rap. The album is titled Thunder Lightning Strike. My favs are Bottle Rocket, Ladyflash, and Huddle Formation. They have two drummers too. The songs on this album are amazingly catchy. Very diverse too.

Sorry but ya talkin to deaf ears here. I dont like rap or hip hop music and i hate rap/hip hop culture. I think without MTV or music videos it wouldnt be as big, i honestly cant imagine anyone just listenin to that shit if it was on the radio. It seems like every person i meet who is into rap culture wants to fight if someone looks them in the eye and acts as if they are from south central LA, its just laughable, i dunno how they keep that shit up after a few beers, you know, yo dog, wasup holmes, i fukin piss my self laugin whenever any body says shit like that.

As for the so called 'music' i think its really sad, black music used to be the best, you know all the motown stuff, marvin gaye, the supremes, all the blues stuff, john lee hooker, howlin wolf, muddy waters buddy guy. Even fukin ike and tina turner and james brown, i love all that shit. Now youv just gota a bunch of guys who cant play any instruments, cant sing and are all 'saying' the same thing, 'im the toughest g in da hood' or 'iv got lots guns and bitches'.

I think mainstream music is at its all time worst.

I actually just rembered what keith richards said when he was asked about rap, he said something like, "i look upon it as a fad, like the yo yo". And i think thats what rap is, a fad that has long out stayed its welcome.

rap is fuckin music. certain rock fans r too elitist and purist and fascist to understand that.

to the asshole who thinks anyone can rhyme, you cant, ur example was bullshit, u dont jus rhyme the words on the end of sentences we're talkin about multi-syllabic flowin. n theres punchlines involved n u gotta think about em on the spot, its the advanced version of the dozens, ever play that as a kid?

rock fans embraced post modernism just as hip hop did only rock is more complacent, rock jus sat there goin its all be said n done etc etc everything nowadays is crap n the majority sit there listenin to grandad (i.e. people like axl rose, led zeppelin, steven tyler) some of who are SIMPLY NOT RELEVANT. fact, they are not contemporary, they are not of our times. hip hop embraces post modernism in a productive sense, makin somethin new of the old i.e. takin two records, mixin em together, n creatin a new product, a new sound. this is why rock is in the fuckin state it is today n a vast cross section of this board are people that fuckin sit around n piss n moan about how there aint nothin good around these days n spend their time lookin' up to motherfuckers from the 60s failing to realise that THOSE PEOPLE EMBRACED CHANGE. embraced innovation n progressiveness. got all these motherfuckers moanin about what Pittmans doin in GnR well he's helping them move on, u cant jus sit around in ur rut scratchin ur ass cuz when u do that shit u quit being relevant to anybody.

rap aint music huh? why, not guitar solo's, well fuck that, then my wild love by the doors aint music cuz there aint no instruments played on that shit. anything that u can wring a sound from is a fuckin instrument. the word instrument means a device that requires skill for proper use, meaning it requires skill to manipulate what u want from it, therefore an old coke can could be a musical instrument, u jus gotta know what u want from it, there are no rules, why limit n stifle urself, it jus dont make any sense. and try that dj shit, try flippin discs, it aint fuckin easy at all cuz if it was as easy as u motherfuckers say there'd be a lot more motherfuckers out there doin the shit! and u find all the homey/w'sup dogg shit ridiculous, why??? its no more or less ridiculous than a lot of the rock patois of the day DUDE. keith richards called it a fad huh? well fuck me keith, its been goin since 1973, thats a long ass fuckin fad. quite sad of keith really cuz thats what people thought of the stones off the bat.

black people have nothin goin? motherfucker kiss my ass cuz if it werent for no black people u wouldn't have no motherfuckin rock n roll either, so if by ur rationale black people aint got nothin goin then white peoples got even less cuz u gotta...in fact, fuck that, i aint gonna stoop to that shit cuz u ignorant, what the fuck has black got to do with anythin? rap is music not a fuckin race issue, goes to show though. latino's rap, black people rap, the biggest rapper right now is a whiteboy, u got rap in fuckin norway, spain, portugal, hong kong, all over the fuckin world, what the fuck has bein black got to do with it? why cuz they started the shit, well then they started rock n roll too motherfucker, what're u doin with that shit? looks like u got less goin for u than fuckin black people do, why the fucks it always gotta come down to that black shit?? fuck you! suck a dick!

n what else, hip hop is decadent, it aint embarassed by riches, it talks about sex n all, hey, dont make me fuckin laugh u tryna tell me rock aint decadent? jim morrison told y'all, back in the day, rock is dead n to be honest, he had a fuckin point. all this bullshit about melody n rhythm, fact, not all music has to be melodic, some music is terse, abrasive, stuff like public image limited, alan vega's suicide, butthole surfers, are u tryna tell me its all bullshit, in that case some of y'all rock fans'd be more suited to listen to beethoven n segovia than guns n roses et al.

u dont gotta like it, not in the least but what pisses me off is motherfuckers denying that the shit is music, y'know, like its not enough for them to dislike it, they gotta hate it n bring it down to the lowest place n rob this shit thats taken the blood n sweat of hard workin young folk that could be out there doin a lot worse of its relevance completely. n this whole thing that since black people invented it its all down to them, in that case a white man invented the TV, can only white people watch it? hip hop outsells rock n roll, meaning theres more of a demand for it, n theres a fuckin reasons for that, even if it aint music (which it fuckin is) whatever it is, its what the people want at this point so kiss my ass. n rap is as progressive in terms of subject matter as any genre on earth but it aint my job to turn u on to that shit, u wanna ignore it, go ahead.

they cant siiiiinng, stfu, people said bob dylan couldnt sing when he came out, what'd've happened if we'da listened to those stuck up motherfuckers too? some of y'all remind me of those people u see in those old elvis movies where the parents n these commitees are goin "this is obviously animalistic nig ga music designed to drag the white man and his kind of the level of the nig ga" when they were talkin about rock n roll. funny how this shit goes in a circle huh?

Edited by frankwhite