November Rain

Slash

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Nightrain

Slash

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Ít´s hard times being an Axlite, but for u people it seems to be bo problem :rolleyes:

U can always hide your Slashism with calling it "opinions".

YCBM

Bucket

Slash

Bumble

NR

Bumble

Bucket

Slash

NT

Bucket

Bumble

Slash

Slash does great solos and I don´t think it´s fair to compare it this way. He is, just as ROBON FINCK, sometimes very uneven live and those versions don´t represent him at his best.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YCBM:

Slash

Buckethead

Ron

NV:

Ron

Buckethead

Slash

Nighrain:

Buckethead

Slash

Ron

that's my opinion. and i really dont care who's the best, cus ron is the one we have now, and we wont get slash og buckethead back, THAT's it. i dont get why people always have to compare to the old :unsure:

:unsure: But you just compared Slash, Bucket and Ron too.

no, i gave my opinion about who plays those three solos the best.

maybe i used the wrong words, because what i meant was why people always have to complain about how the old band was so much better than the new. you know? :) it wont be changed, thats why people needs to stop complaining about the new band not playing as well as the old.

Ah, I see. And I'm totally with you. Complaining isn't useful at all. But a nice comparison of different styles and possibilities of playing these solos without any hard feelings can be quite interesting and fun. :)

You Could Be Mine

1. Slash

2. Buckethead

3. Bumblefoot

Not even close. Slash's solo is clearly the best. Buckethead's is way too melodic and calm at times, whereas Ron's is the worst he does in GN'R. Still cool, nonetheless.

November Rain

1. Bumblefoot

2. Slash

3. Buckethead

Pretty close between Ron and Slash, but I think the flashy sound of Ron's guitar sounds really great in November Rain. Slash's the shit though. Buckethead's is just plain bad, sounds way too clean for GN'R.

Nightrain

1. Slash

2. Bumblefoot

3. Buckethead

Very, very close again between Ron and Slash, but the latter has the edge on this one. Just unbeatable. Both his and Ron's sound great, aggressive, adrenaline pumping - and that's what Nightrain is supposed to be. Buckethead's approach just doesn't do anything for me. His sound is way too clean (once again) and the solo is too melodic at times, which destroys the atmosphere of the song. It doesn't get me pumped up one bit.

Overall

1. Slash

2. Bumblefoot

3. Buckethead

No surprise for me here. Slash is the one and only, the man who wrote the songs, the most charismatic of them all and a true guitar hero. Ron Thal is one hell of a guitar player and sounds great in GN'R - the perfect replacemente for Buckethead. And speaking of Buckethead, it's a good thing he left - his approach to the GN'R catalogue just doesn't do anything for me. I don't think he got what was special about GN'R, or at least I don't feel he did.

YCBM

1)Slash & Bucky

3)Bf

NR

1)Slash

2)Bucky

3)BF (really dont like the shit his made...out of melody to me)

NT

1)Slash & bucky again. Both perfect in THEIR styles...and there are no styles better than others...so a tie. (actually dont like very much the ending of BH, but i forgive him :P )

3)BF

BF is way more "strange"...sometimes its seems that he is trying too hard to impress and while he tries to do that, he loses the melody of the solo

Edited by feconroses

i'm with the majority:

ycbm - slash

nr - bumblefoot

nightrain - bucket

i never really listened to 2002 boots, so this enlightened me to how buckethead fit. his note choices are really interesting and different, whereas slash does the slash thing and bastardizes his blues scales which is awesome. i think ron does a superb job of melting these two styles together. a great example of this is continental airlines arena from this year on knocking on heaven's door; he really shines. the audio is pretty shot for this concert, but it's the only one i've downloaded.

Edited by bass71player

Wow---

This whole thread just made realize how much I wish Axl hadn't sounded like shit when Bucket was in the band. That man was ridiculously fucking talented--the Nightrain solo, omfg, that was incredible. But if I had to rank them, I'd say that YCBM is the only one where Slash does it best. I just don't like the shredding on that song.

But the Nov. Rain outro and Nightrain both go to Buckethead. Which is no diss on Ron, whom I love, but god DAMN--BH really did it all.

Too bad he was such...such a freak, I guess. He is amazing.

I think the thing to keep in mind here is who WROTE the trademark licks within those solos that made them legendary in the first place.

The first two solos both ron and buckethead heavily base their solos around the original melody slash wrote, and rightly so, those melodies have become iconic.

The Nightrain outro slash did was always really laid back and bluesy, an outro....he never really went for a full on shredfest, so the comparision isn't really apples to apples. Granted, that buckethead solo is impressive, but it misses the point IMO.

The real qustion is whether ron or buckethead could write something as memorable as that melody in november rain or YCBM. Arguably they might be able to, they're both fuckin talented, but it's all speculation. Neither has anything in their catalog that could be considered iconic. Slash however, DID write them, so my vote goes to slash on all three.

Edited by angry anderson

Nr tie-slash and ronny

axl hits something wrong at the begining of the solo, but it's beautiful and melodic, falls out of rythm when he drops to the lower notes, and is overpowered by the piano,

bucket needs not to use the kill switch at the lower notes in the solo, otherwise it sounds more harp sounding, damned melodic

I think it's some kinda crappy sound quality, but othe wise bumble's got it perfect, a blues tear drop to it with very melodic harp sounding passages,and enough power to take the guys who said estranged was a metal moment and telling them to shove it up thier ass

nightrain goes to buckethead and slash, thier both aesome in thier own ay here, bucket's more rock, slash is more blues, and ron, what in the hell was that? even with the edge i'll gove you on recording quality, no, just don't, give it to fortus,

ycbm goes to bucket, slash is trying to shred and be fast and it's making just completely out of tune bends that don't sound bluesy, just repetitive, ron tries to copy slash, and it's not working, as it sounds like he has a few wrong notes on the scale in his tapping, i like how bucket shows off a few chords in the beginning, it breaks up the melody and then just hits you, like WHACK

Edited by Bucketslash

I think its safeto say all these guitarists are amazing in their own right

It comes down to what you like though.

I have to give it to slash cause he wrote the original solos but...and this is my opinion:

You have to be smokin crack to not see that Bucket head is one of the most amazing guitar players ever and for me he clearly wrecks the other two in these comparisons.

You Could Be Mine

1. Slash

2. Buckethead

3. Bumblefoot

Not even close. Slash's solo is clearly the best. Buckethead's is way too melodic and calm at times, whereas Ron's is the worst he does in GN'R. Still cool, nonetheless.

November Rain

1. Bumblefoot

2. Slash

3. Buckethead

Pretty close between Ron and Slash, but I think the flashy sound of Ron's guitar sounds really great in November Rain. Slash's the shit though. Buckethead's is just plain bad, sounds way too clean for GN'R.

Nightrain

1. Slash

2. Bumblefoot

3. Buckethead

Very, very close again between Ron and Slash, but the latter has the edge on this one. Just unbeatable. Both his and Ron's sound great, aggressive, adrenaline pumping - and that's what Nightrain is supposed to be. Buckethead's approach just doesn't do anything for me. His sound is way too clean (once again) and the solo is too melodic at times, which destroys the atmosphere of the song. It doesn't get me pumped up one bit.

Overall

1. Slash

2. Bumblefoot

3. Buckethead

No surprise for me here. Slash is the one and only, the man who wrote the songs, the most charismatic of them all and a true guitar hero. Ron Thal is one hell of a guitar player and sounds great in GN'R - the perfect replacemente for Buckethead. And speaking of Buckethead, it's a good thing he left - his approach to the GN'R catalogue just doesn't do anything for me. I don't think he got what was special about GN'R, or at least I don't feel he did.

I was going to write the same

Hopefully I kept on reading..

YCBM: I don't feel like Ron's in his game, and Bucket didn't suit the song either. So.. Slash, by far.

NR: Ron just blows the fuckin' shit away. Slash is awesome too, but there's sth that makes me go with Ron.

On Bucket, all I could say was.. WTF??? That ain't NR!!! That SUCKS!!, etc.

Night: I've always thought Slash's work on this song was one of the best he ever made. I liked what Bucket did here (the best I ever heard from Bucket I guess), but it simply wasn't nightrain's solo. Ron almost got it right but no-one outbeats Slash here.

You're more than welcome Ron.

And before bitching him just go and download the masterpiece called There Was a Time live @ Madrid.