The Best Albums Of 2006

Ridin' the Nightrain

I was putting off doing this list until I was holding Chinese Democracy - but I've given up hope of that happening this year now. I posted this on another forum, so I'd figure I'd do it here too. :)

1. Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain

B000GTJTCA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61572825_.jpg

Ahh. Well, what's to be said about this album that I haven't a million times before? It's just perfection. By far one of the best albums I've ever heard, and although I still prefer 'The Mantle' it shows that Agalloch still have a shitload of growing to do as a band, this is a huge progression and change from them - one I want to see keep happening for many, many albums to come. Beautifully produced, flowing like a calm river from start to finish, featuring everything from folk metal, to post-rock, all the way to experimental and black metal. They're just the greatest band on the planet. Possibly ever. And this album proves that. As soon as this was released, no other album stood a chance of being the best this year.

2. Isis - In the Absence of Truth

B000I2K9JW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39823082_.jpg

This album is confusing in quite a few ways. It lacks the harshness of their earlier work, but at the same time it adds a new dimension with an awesome post-rock feeling. I think it's certainly the furthest away from metal that Isis have ever been, and in its place they've packed in tons more of that post-rocky experimental sound you've always known them for. It's quite calming, which isn't what you entirely expect from Isis, but it works. I wouldn't say it's their best work like some do (I like my stuff heavy, as you know) but it's certainly not a bad change and a damn good album. It gives Cult of Luna a run for their money for sure.

3. Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells

B000F2BXJA.01._AA200_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36100845_.jpg

As much as it amazes me to say this, I actually think this is the best Drudkh album yet. It's still brutal black metal, mixed with the perfect production and pace as you'd expect, but it has many folk metal elements also which adds another layer to their genius. I like this album most of all though because it's clever. You really need to listen to it hard and concentrate on it to appreciate the beauty that flows from it. Black metal goes over most heads at the best of time, and this album will prove that like none other. A casual listen doesn't do this album justice in the slightest. So yeah, just a fucking masterpiece of black metal. Hurrah!

4. Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway

B000ET5YNK.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V54639996_.jpg

I love, love, love this album so much it's insane. I honestly think it's some of the best work Cult of Luna have produced. Whereas, as I said earlier, Isis have gone for a more lighter, post-rock sound, these guys have done pretty much the opposite it seems. Sure - it is heavily influenced by post-rock, there's no denying that, however the sludge metal influence has been beefed up no end. That, mixed with the heavy black metal like vocals, make for one fucking contrasting album. One minute you're listening to a beautiful post-rock melody, the next you're listening to something off a Sunn 0))) record. I love the mix. It's not quite as good as Isis' album, but damn it's not far off either.

5. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

B000GRU6XI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59428488_.jpg

I was so pleasantly surprised with this album you would not believe. I wanted it to be great, I knew it could be great, but I didn't think it would be. I'm not sure why - I guess after Maiden have been kicking out the jams for 30yrs you start to expect a band to decrease in quality. Thankfully, that's not the case here at all. Everything you know and love about Maiden can be found in this album - with new twists and elements for good measure. Your craving for loud, heavy metal will be fully fufilled after listening to this once through, but at the same time it's got a mature sound and theme that shows signs of Maiden STILL progressing. They're not just knocking out the same shit over again. Oh no.

I'm seeing these guys live on the 11th, and judging by past setlists they're playing the ENTIRE album from start to finish. I can't fucking wait.

6. Stolen Babies - There Be Squabbles Ahead

B000I2JTHU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40657715_.jpg

Not usually my type of thing this. Mixing punk/alt/indie and various metal aspects (not sure what you'd call them exactly, haha) it's an extremely unique sound you can't help but love though I found. I downladed this album PURELY because they were signed to The End Records, and as usual I found they were tons better than I expected. Very much like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum in that respect and also in sound. Sure, they're not as progressive as SGM, but still. It's such a funky album I really want to see them live. I bet it would be stupidly fun.

7. Drudkh - Songs of Grief and Solitude

no-image-no-ciu._V52362076_AA192_.gif

The second Drudkh album out this year. This takes a very different approach from the earlier album, however, as it's basically a pure folk metal album. Now, I love Drudkh, and I most certainly LOVE folk metal...but this doesn't really work as well as I would've hoped. I really like it, and it's certainly miles ahead of most other albums released this year, but it's not the 5 star quality I've come to expect from them. I don't know..I guess Drudkh without the absolute harshness doesn't really fit as well as most would have hoped fullstop.

But hey, that's me being picky, I've played this mother a stupid ammount and could easily do so for a long, long time to come.

8. Tool - 10,000 Days

B000EULJLU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40871453_.jpg

My controversial pick I suppose. I know it's not as good as their earlier stuff, not by a long way, I really do. But that doesn't stop me enjoying this album. Yes, it's not the amazing progressive perfection that you normally associate with Tool, but it's still a damn fine album. I think it's too easy to be critical of this album just because it's not got the same greatness of old. Think about the average quality of albums these days, ESPECIALLY in the mainstream scene, then listen to this album. Still sounds fucking good, does it not? Exactly. It'll never be considered a classic, but it's a damn fine listen.

Oh yes. So, what do you think are the best albums of 2006?

1. Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

B000GRU6XI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59428488_.jpg

I felt like so much could have gone wrong with this album, and as soon as I saw a Harris writing credit on every song I thought it'd be a very similar sounding album all the way through. Needless to say I was wrong, and it's easily the best album of the year in my opinion

2. Ice Cube - Laugh Now, Cry Later

200px-Laughnow.jpg

What can I say? As usual, the man strikes gold

3. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime 2

200px-OperationMindcrime2-preview.jpg

The follow up to one of the greatest concept albums of all time? This was another album that could have gone extremely wrong, especially with all the subpar content Queensryche have delivered since the first Mindcrime album and the lack of DeGarmo. Yet it still turned out to be the greatest album they've done since Mindcrime. I was especially happy to find out Tate still has a fantastic set of pipes of him

Edited by Glick

3. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime 2

The follow up to one of the greatest concept albums of all time? This was another album that could have gone extremely wrong, especially with all the subpar content Queensryche have delivered since the first Mindcrime album and the lack of DeGarmo. Yet it still turned out to be the greatest album they've done since Mindcrime. I was especially happy to find out Tate still has a fantastic set of pipes of him

I've yet to get this. :( Shocking really, seeing as the first was, as you said, one of the best concept albums of all time.

I've heard from several sources very mixed reactions though. I'm going to download it now and see. I hope you're right. :)

1. Hammersmith Odeon, London '75- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

507466.jpg

Amazing, amazing concert. The sound is also fantastic, making this one of the most essential live albums of all time.

2. Living With War- Neil Young

562992.jpg

This is just an absolutely tremendous album. Young sounds inspired right through and churns out great song after great song. It's not quite a five star album though; there are some weaknesses. The lyrics are sometimes too heavyhanded and a couple of the choruses are quite weak, but this is still fantastic in every way. If you like Young, or simply if you lean toward the political left and love yourself some rock n' roll, this is essential.

3. We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions- Bruce Springsteen

521282.jpg

What more could you possibly want? An amazing album, one of the best folk albums in a couple of decades.

4. 3121- Prince

457817.jpg

It's an album. It's by this dude named Prince. By default it belongs in a top 5 of the year.

5. St. Elsewhere- Gnarls Barkley

501782.jpg

Wicked.

SA: I bought "Ashes Against the Grain". It's a very good album.

Placebo - Meds.

Bowling For Soup - The Great Burrito Extortion Case

wots placebo's album like...ive always meaned to look into them but never got round to it...ive got a good video off them covering a pixies song though

rock2

That album is fantastic - IMHO their best, and one of the best of the year and of the 2000s. I recommend you check it out.

Placebo - Meds.

Bowling For Soup - The Great Burrito Extortion Case

wots placebo's album like...ive always meaned to look into them but never got round to it...ive got a good video off them covering a pixies song though

rock2

That album is fantastic - IMHO their best, and one of the best of the year and of the 2000s. I recommend you check it out.

kool..will do.....have you heard the pixies cover 'where is my mind' btw?

wow i hadnt heard of any of Slash's Appetites bands he listed....part from Maiden of course (and that album is awesome by the way), i might have to check a few of those bands out :):)

oh and over 1000 (unnoticed :P) posts.....how sad

Edited by FunkyMonk

1) Bob Dylan - Modern Times

B000GFLAI0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bob Dylan was washed up by the end of the 80s. Each album headed down hill from the last, and it seemed that his magical songwriting touch had left him. Suddenly, in 1997, he released Time Out of Mind and righted the sinking ship. September 11th 2001 saw, besides the worst terrorist attack on American soil, the release of Love and Theft - Dylan's best work since 1983's Infidels. This year, he released an album that was better than both of those, even better than the classic Infidels. Dylan's touch is back, as displayed in his return-to-protest-anthems Aint Talkin, Working Man's Blues #2, and his rewrite Levee's Gonna Break (rewrite of When The Levee Breaks). He also flashed his lovesong guns on instant classics Spirit on the Water and When The Deal Goes Down. The other songs on the record weren't necessarily about poignent topics, but some of Dylan's best songs are not really about anything (Highway 61 Revisited, Supteranian Homesick Blues). Overall, this record was easily one of Dylan's best ever, making it a shoe-in for top record of the year. Look for this record to recieve many grammy nods.

2) Bruce Springsteen & The Seeger Sessions Band - We Shall Overcome

BruceSpringsteen-WeShallOvercomeTheSeegerSessions.jpg

I grew up on Pete Seeger and associated folk musicians (namely the one I gave the number 1 nod to). I also fell in love with The Boss at a young age. Hence, hearing The Boss sing songs that Seeger made particularly famous was like reliving my childhood song by song. The musicianship is top notch, and the song selection is beyond relevant - songs Seeger sang about Vietnam, racism, and poverty back in the 60s which ring true about Iraq, poverty, and racism today. The live act also gets a hefty nod, as the energy pours off of this band like water from niagra falls. This one, despite its lacking of any lyrical work by Springsteen (though the musical arangements are nearly all different from the original folk songs), should also recieve a few grammy nods.

3) The Who - The Endless Wire

Endless_061103104139056_wideweb__300x300.jpg

And you thought Chinese Democracy was taking a long times? More than 20 years in the making, one of rock's most pioneering bands of all time returned with something completely unexpected: an album. It seemed that, in the late 80s after their highly successful farewell tour, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, and John Entwistle had decided to retire the Who name from records for ever. That held true until 2002, when the band began discussing recording again. Entwistle's sudden death put that project on the shelf until 2004 when the band released a greatest hits album cmplete with 2 new songs - Real Good Looking Boy and Old Red Wine. The band then decided to record the album. As Pete began to write new material, the project was again put on hold as drummer (and Ringo Star's son) Zak Starkey joined up with Oasis for their tour. The album did ultimately get recorded (though Starkey only plays on one track) and released. Complete with mini-opera, the record sees the Who return to peak form with a tremendous record.

Good to see you bought at least one good album this year then. ;)

You should really get their other stuff. Especially 'The Mantle', which is the only album that rivals AFD for my all-time favourite.

That just sickens me.

You're entitled to an opinion and all, but actually saying that Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen, and PRINCE aren't good is just stupid and displays an utter lack of musical knowledge.

I hope that didn't sound too rude, but really... :rolleyes:

It was in jest. Hence the ' ;) '

They do bore me shitless though.

And I've just finished listening to Operation: Mindcrime 2, whoever said that, and I think it really sucks. Haha. :( I wasn't expecting it to be great, but it's extremely average to say the least. Bordering on bad at times.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

wow i hadnt heard of any of Slash's Appetites bands he listed....part from Maiden of course (and that album is awesome by the way), i might have to check a few of those bands out :):)

oh and over 1000 (unnoticed :P) posts.....how sad

congrats :)

THE TOP ELEVEN

1. Tom Waits - Orphans

2. Bob Dylan - Modern Times

3. The Beatles - Love

4. Ray LaMontagne - Till The Sun Turns Black

TIE:

5. Ali Farka Toure - Savane

5. James Morrison - Undiscovered

6. Clint Mansell - The Fountain

7. Cat Power - The Greatest

8. Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You and I Will Beat Your Ass

9. Tom Petty - Highway Companion

10. The Who - Endless Wire

I only put the two fives as a tie because I had already made the list and then forgot to add Toure's album. :)

Other honorable mentions:

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Lindsey Buckingham - Under the Skin

Ali Farka Six Organs of Admittance - The Sun Awakens

Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Buckethead - Crime Slunk Scene

New York Dolls - One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This