Nirvana

Vincent Vega

Hi

Sorry for another Nirvana related thread but I've read in quite a few places that after the release of "In Utero" in September 1993 that the popularity of Nirvana begin to wane greatly in the months following it's release, due to it's intentional audience-alienating sound. I've read that by the time of Cobain's death in April '94 they had largely reverted back to it's core audience but the suicide (or murder, as some say) of Kurt Cobain propelled them to legendary status despite their waning popularity. Is this true? Were they waning in popularity after ''In Utero''?

Edited by Mr. Miser

I read many times and heard many times of this. Yes I believe it to be true. God all you have to do is listen to them for a month or two and your bored. it could have had something to do with him being a prick and all that. But no, St. Kirk Cocaine can't do anything wrong...

i did a little before in utero's release, after that, definetly not. Nirvana were a three piece (a four including Pat 'the germ' Smear but he never got to record, but sonically they could blow arena bands away. dynamic, powerful n fuckin passionate, way music should be.

Kind of. Despite being the best thing they ever did, In Utero didn't sell as well as was expected and Pearl Jam overtook them as the biggest Seattle band the week that Vs was released. Nirvana's (commercial) hype had died down quite a bit by the time April 94 rolled around.

Thats certainly how i remember it. People i went to school with who had never listened to nirvana, who didnt even know who kurt cobain was, suddenly had pictures of him on their files once he died, it was ridiculous. He became this legendary figure overnight, the peak of their fame was definately after he died, he wasnt a house hold name the way maddona or axl or slah was.

If Eddie vedder would have killed himself, it would be him wed be talkin about right now, no kurt. Or fuck, if Axl wouldav killed himself, hed be the topic of this thread on some other website.