"Jam" as a genre

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

There is no such thing as a "Jam Band", and if there is a group that consciously considers themself to be one, then they are fools.

If you play Blues, jam away, in Rock and especially Jazz, do the same. But I don't believe in a "Jam" genre. Jamming should serve the song, and never the other way around. That's just defeating the point of good music.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

There is no such thing as a "Jam Band", and if there is a group that consciously considers themself to be one, then they are fools.

If you play Blues, jam away, in Rock and especially Jazz, do the same. But I don't believe in a "Jam" genre. Jamming should serve the song, and never the other way around. That's just defeating the point of good music.

Please tell this to the current line-up of the Allman Brothers Band.

Please tell this to the current line-up of the Allman Brothers Band.

And I'm sure they'd tell me they play Blues Rock.

The thing that bugs me about this "genre" is that these bands write shitty songs. The shows are extremely tedious to listen to unless you are stoned out of your mind. They always have this mid-tempo fake-funk/blues kind of feel going and it's just not interesting to listen to for 3 hours. In my way of thinking jamming is a very cool intense spiritual experience when shared between musicians and audiences if it comes about as an organic part of the show. This business with playing blues scales for long stretches of time and semi-scheduled drum and space sections of shows may have had its roots in something genuine, but that time has come and gone.

Don't get me wrong-I play guitar and I love to jam with other musicians but I would never call it jam band music. It's just music period if you're trying to break new ground. If you're just trying to emulate the Dead, Phish or the Allman Brothers by noodling over the same chord progression for 15 minutes you are not jamming-you are masturbating.

The Dead, the early ABB, Cream, and Clapton solo are among the very few that can pull off long jams, but that's because they're tasteful enough to stop and vary their chord progression etc, or switch insruments or something.

Zeppelin weren't that bad at it either. I personally think they were one of the best. It's funny because Zep improvised so much onstage yet you never here them reffered to as a "jam" band----

The Dead, the early ABB, Cream, and Clapton solo are among the very few that can pull off long jams, but that's because they're tasteful enough to stop and vary their chord progression etc, or switch insruments or something.

The E Street Band was pretty good as well.

I cannot believe I didn't mention them. :no:

The thing that bugs me about this "genre" is that these bands write shitty songs. The shows are extremely tedious to listen to unless you are stoned out of your mind. They always have this mid-tempo fake-funk/blues kind of feel going and it's just not interesting to listen to for 3 hours. In my way of thinking jamming is a very cool intense spiritual experience when shared between musicians and audiences if it comes about as an organic part of the show. This business with playing blues scales for long stretches of time and semi-scheduled drum and space sections of shows may have had its roots in something genuine, but that time has come and gone.

Don't get me wrong-I play guitar and I love to jam with other musicians but I would never call it jam band music. It's just music period if you're trying to break new ground. If you're just trying to emulate the Dead, Phish or the Allman Brothers by noodling over the same chord progression for 15 minutes you are not jamming-you are masturbating.

Pretty much my exact thoughts.

I don't know that its a genre so much as a style. Jam-blues, jam-rock, etc certainly exist. Just look at a Buddy Guy concert. He plays like 5 songs, throws in bits n pieces of others, and plays the guitar to pieces. There's no definite form, but it's jamtastic. Dave Matthews can pull some sweet jams, as can the Crowes, E Street Band, Clapton, The Who, The Doors, The Rolling Stones.....when the jam takes you there's no stopping it, but a pure "jam" genre doesn't exist. I'd say jam bands do, though - bands that gell really well together and can improve an extremely solid song without falling apart.