The Smiths?

War Of The Roses

I love Morrissey, his two latest albums are excellent, You are the quarry and Leader of the Tormentors. The collection album Suadehead is also very good.

I should look up some The Smiths but havent gotten around to it jet, but I have heard that they are cool aswell :)

I was told in a gay test that if you owned a Smiths or Morissey album - you were gay.

So, that kinda put me off. I've been told some of the their stuff is quite good though, may check it out sometime.

a gay test?

thats just stupid itself

but seriously they are really good

Morrisseys album - You Are The Quarry

and for the smiths, the world wont listen

them 2 albums are brilliant and you should like them

oh yeah and btw,

one of axls influence to get in to music was the smiths and hes not gay

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Tremendous band, get Louder Than Bombs if you are American, and The World Won't Listen if you are British.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

• 1 month later...
I was told in a gay test that if you owned a Smiths or Morissey album - you were gay.

So, that kinda put me off. I've been told some of the their stuff is quite good though, may check it out sometime.

i own all of the smiths' albums and i am not gay.

however i am a pretty "middle-of-the-road" smiths fan i.e. i do not worship at the altar of morrisey/marr.

i should say that the hardcore smiths fans i know are really strange when it comes to this band, and have both told me that "morrisey turns straight men gay, or sexist."

as far as the smiths are concerned, they only made a few records until they broke up in '87, and all of their stuff is pretty fucking awesome. i would start with the queen is dead and work your way out.

The Smiths were an amazing band, but I find Morrissey's solo stuff all to be self-indulgent, contrived crap and wish he would disappear. He has cult-like status which was pretty much thanks to the NME putting him on the cover after blanking him for years. I really find him overrated massively.

Well you list "Europe" as one of the bands you listen to. No offence, but The Final Countdown is easily one of the "gayest" songs i've ever heard.

...Nothing wrong with that though. ;)

I love them, but in moderation.

Agreed. I have most of their albums and lots of bootlegs, but I really have to be in the mood. The mood doesn't come often.

Here:

http://jamiesrunoutgroove.blogspot.com/200...geles-1986.html

http://jamiesrunoutgroove.blogspot.com/200...ester-1983.html

A nice couple of quality live concerts by them to add to your collections! :P

The Smiths were an amazing band, but I find Morrissey's solo stuff all to be self-indulgent, contrived crap and wish he would disappear. He has cult-like status which was pretty much thanks to the NME putting him on the cover after blanking him for years. I really find him overrated massively.

How can the greatest frontman of all time be overrated?

But yeah The Smiths are probaly the best band of all time, The Queen is dead is their best album

Do you honestly believe that? I mean, if you do then fair play and you are entitled to your opinion - but I think it's stretching it a bit. He was a very good frontman when he was part of the smiths for sure - but I really feel it's pretty hard to describe his performances as a solo artist as being comparable to some of the truely great solo artists.

Do you honestly believe that? I mean, if you do then fair play and you are entitled to your opinion - but I think it's stretching it a bit. He was a very good frontman when he was part of the smiths for sure - but I really feel it's pretty hard to describe his performances as a solo artist as being comparable to some of the truely great solo artists.

Admititly the majority of his solo stuff was pretty dire but in his prime in The Smiths he was the greatest frontman ever imo. Such a unique style of writing and a pair of glasses and a bunch of flowers in his pocket just confirms my theory :wub:

Admititly the majority of his solo stuff was pretty dire but in his prime in The Smiths he was the greatest frontman ever imo. Such a unique style of writing and a pair of glasses and a bunch of flowers in his pocket just confirms my theory :wub:

I think thatyoucould certainly argue the case regarding the Smiths era. My bone of contention was the solo stuff.

Fair play to you.