This is the greatest rock song of all time

Dead Flower

Goin' Out West by Tom Waits

Tom Waits didn't make too many rock songs. In fact, this might be the only real rock/punk song I've heard from him, and it just might be the best of all time.

There's no misogynist or bogan lyrics, but it's still such a fucking macho song. Everytime I hear it, I just wanna rip my shirt off, beat my chest and go have a fist fight. The music itself is simple, but brilliant. Just a chilling riff by guitarist Joe Gore and a clanging bassline… but it's the awesome raw sound coming out of those drums (played by Waits himself) that gives the song its power and drive.

So many cool lyrics:

"I ain't no extra baby, I'm a leading man!"

"My Olds 88, and the devil on a leash"

"Well I know karate, Voodoo too!"

"I don't need no make up, I got real scars"

"I got hair on my chest, I look good without a shirt!"

"Well my friends think I'm ugly, I got a masculine face"

"I'm gonna change my name to Hannibal or maybe just Rex"

"I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed"

All delivered in the most awesome raspy growl of all time.

Basically, if you don't like this song it's either because you're a woman or a nancy-boy.

• 2 weeks later...
Goin' Out West by Tom Waits

Tom Waits didn't make too many rock songs. In fact, this might be the only real rock/punk song I've heard from him, and it just might be the best of all time.

There's no misogynist or bogan lyrics, but it's still such a fucking macho song. Everytime I hear it, I just wanna rip my shirt off, beat my chest and go have a fist fight. The music itself is simple, but brilliant. Just a chilling riff by guitarist Joe Gore and a clanging bassline… but it's the awesome raw sound coming out of those drums (played by Waits himself) that gives the song its power and drive.

So many cool lyrics:

"I ain't no extra baby, I'm a leading man!"

"My Olds 88, and the devil on a leash"

"Well I know karate, Voodoo too!"

"I don't need no make up, I got real scars"

"I got hair on my chest, I look good without a shirt!"

"Well my friends think I'm ugly, I got a masculine face"

"I'm gonna change my name to Hannibal or maybe just Rex"

"I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed"

All delivered in the most awesome raspy growl of all time.

Basically, if you don't like this song it's either because you're a woman or a nancy-boy.

YES!

If you liked this one, check out Big In Japan (from Mule Variations) and LowDown, 2:19 and King Kong from Orphans.

About time someone replied! How dare you all ignore my brilliant thread for so long?! :tongue2:

The video is awesome. I love his little guitar.

Here's a live version of the song, btw. Link. This is the genius of Tom Waits - he changes the song dramatically from the album version, but it's still so incredibly awesome. Great interview at the end, too. He's not just a great musician, but also one of the funniest men on earth.

• 4 months later...