How have your musical tastes changed..

kevdo242

Thought this might be an interesting thread to make.

Around 2002, I was into Nu Metal, as many people my age were at that time. I listened to all the usual bands, but as I grew older, I grew out of them. (Except System Of A Down, they still are great to listen to)

During the age of 15 and 16, I listened to mainly classic rock, like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I still love listening to them, but I've got a hunger to listen to different artists. I started going back and listening to music my Dad listened to when he was my age, like T. Rex, Rod Stewart and even older artists like Sam Cooke.

Now 17, I've been listening to different artists, although they may still be rock, I feel that I'm slowly turning on to other genres.

I'd quite like to hear about how other members here started listening to their current favourite bands etc.

hasnt changed that much

until i was about 12 i wasnt to fussed on music.. never bought an album and didnt know songs outside the top 10

now however i worship classic rock bands like zeppelin gnr ect..

:heart:

Edited by JDRM

I used to be an ignorant fool(I suppose i still am) who would listen to classic rock all the time disregarding any other kind of music anyone tried to get me into, now im easy going with music and will give almost anything a good listening to before judging it.

Totally the same.

At first, when I was 13/14, I listened to Eminem, Good Charlotte and Linkin Park. :confused: Then I got into classic rock and refused to listen to anything else that didn't come from the 60's/70's/80's. And finally around 17/18, I started really liking rock/metal from the 90's-present and have been pretty well-rounded since. :)

12-14: Metallica , Iron maiden, Paradise lost, Manowar, every kind of metal in general

GNR

14-17: +Nirvana, Green Day, Offspring and more rock in general

17-25: Classic Rock + all kind of music, from pop to greek hits

25- till now: every kind of Rock

Around 9/10 I listened to top 40 stuff until my dad brought home a Rush cd and everything changed after that. And I started of modestly listening to any other cds he brought home.

Then at 11/12 I started on you typical classic rock bands. Zeppelin, Floyd etc.

13/14 I started to deviate from the path and listen to Eminem and rap.

15/16 GNR. All day. Everyday. As well as other 80's metal.

Now I've broaden my tastes I listen to a bit of everything from Country to pop to hip-hop to jazz.

My tastes have changed quite dramatically over the past 10 years. When I was nearing my teens I would listen to The Offspring, Sister Hazel, Limp Bizkit, etc. Then, I ventured into metal with Metallica and I have discovered a ton of different metal bands ever since, so I'm still into metal. However, I began to venture into the classic rock genre as well as more oldies, which is where I am now.

I'm really looking into more underground/not well known artists at this point such as Tom Waits, Yes, etc. These days, I'm constantly looking for new artists who are not as well known as other bands, and I'm also looking to expand my tastes into R&B with artists such as Lionel Richie and not the bad R&B you hear today.

These days, I'll listen to a lot of genres, ranging from pop to rap, and from classical to R&B, then classic rock to metal. It's nice to have a variety of tastes. And yes, I do enjoy some country music, but a lot of it is quite stale. My evolving musical taste gets more intriguing each day really.

I guess I don't really listen to anything out of the ordinary.

Never really used to listen to much music that was outside the charts or whatever, until I started listening to KISS, who were my first rock band I think. Then Guns got me really interested in music. But now I guess I have a kinda large range of music tastes from Elvis to Cannibal Corpse and a lot in between.

Not really.. Some bands have raised to a higher plain 'of existence' but not that much really.

Im not really tolerant though when it comes to music styles I dislike.. Bodom being a great example (I actually listened to them some 5 years ago..) or well if you like screaming without words then I guess it's ok :P

Edited by .Seal

i've always been inclined to listen to the most horrible clashing dischordant bunch of...noise that i could seek out. the snottiest honestest passionatestestest shit that i could find and i wasn't against of anti-any kinda music at all except the BIG BIG BIG rock bands like...the stones, the who pink floyd etc etc and a lot of this was without having heard any of their fuckin music (and yet n still i always loved the beatles and GnR) but outside of that it was totally fucking as alternative as i could find. the pastels, the germs, james chance and the contortions just REALLY shit outta leftfield. Theoretical Girls, the slits. then i sorta realised that although the stones/the who etc represented a kind of establishment snobbery that made me sick, alls i was doin was proliferating a counter-snobbery and it also occured to me that punk rockers, in a way, were some of the most restrictive people in the world. since then i listened to everything, although i listened to pretty much freaky weirdo shit anywayz before, i just...was unaware really of mainstream rock and certain kinda...big, arena, stadium rock bands.

Started off liking cheesy pop bands, as all small kids do.

Then i decided to move on to guns n' roses, ac/dc, etc.

from there i moved onto more mellow and what i consider to be more challanging music - pink floyd, radiohead, focus, early genesis etc.

from that i really got into more experimental style musics - kraftwerk, the album leaf, king crimson, etc.

and recently i cant get enough of blues and jazz - courtney pine, john lee hooker, nina simone, ray charles, etc.

in a year or less ill probably be into a completely different style. funky, eh?

I developed an interest in rock music for the whole of the last 3 years, pushing my love for rap more and more aside. It's mainly classic rock I listen to, but also many many other different styles of music, whereas in the past, I was all about rap, from american to german, french or even african rap.

um...started listening to serious music by listening to only GNR, Metallica, Nirvana (when I joined the site)

now I listen to...

60s classic rock

70s classic rock

grunge

alt rock

acid rock

indie rock

folk rock

funk rock

jam bands

post punk

punk

nu metal

heavy metal

death metal

black metal

post rock

apocolyptic folk

classic folk

funk

soul

r+b

rap

russian world

cuban world

austrailian world

indian world

indian classical

opera

general classical

broadway

the blues

bop

be-bop

general jazz

free jazz

jazz fusion

ambient

and pop

Edited by stevGNR666

Guest knerken
I used to be an ignorant fool(I suppose i still am) who would listen to classic rock all the time disregarding any other kind of music anyone tried to get me into, now im easy going with music and will give almost anything a good listening to before judging it.

Totally the same.

At first, when I was 13/14, I listened to Eminem, Good Charlotte and Linkin Park. :confused: Then I got into classic rock and refused to listen to anything else that didn't come from the 60's/70's/80's. And finally around 17/18, I started really liking rock/metal from the 90's-present and have been pretty well-rounded since. :)

You're both just like me! When I was a kid I listened to crap, then when I was 13 I started listening to only 70s and 80s rock and metal, but now I can listen to a lot of different types of rock music from different decades! :)

Edited by knerken

Well during my teenage years i used to listen only hard rock heavy metal bands plus Madonna and Michael Jackson..

But i started to understand music in general after i turned 18 probably,i enjoy these days Blues,classic rock,alternative,pop,hip hop,R & B,jazz,country even salsa! haha

All types in music really, not only hard rock. rock1

I'm into Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac so much now,i can't believe i used to dislike their music when i was 12.. :no:

Edited by nathalie92

I grew up on the Stones,Beatles,Who,Floyd,Zep,Alice Cooper,Aerosmith etc. etc.

They fucking ruled then and still do.

Discovered punk around 77 -78 and found some damn good rock and roll stripped down to the bare bones.Loved it then and still do...(moreso for the music,less about the peripherals).

From that point on,every once in a while a band would come along that I deemed worthy of attention (Guns,NIN...Metallica to a certain extent...also dabbled in a wee bit of "grunge").

Out of those bands I hold GnR in the same esteem as the rock icons I first mentioned above..to me they are worthy of that status.

GreenBlinkCharlottePlan,I have no use for...then or now.

Same goes for the rest of the shit being flushed through the mainstream these days.