Guns N'Roses vs AC/DC

dobadog

Back in the 80's Axl once said (while on stage) that Gn'R had been called a 'weak AC/DC'.

Back in the 80's AC/DC didn't mean much to me, although Gn'R's AFD album blew me away.

After doing some Google'ing on AC/DC it appeared that there's an album called Back In Black that is the AC/DC album to get. So I picked up the ablum and WOW WOW WEE. It really is good. And I can see why the 80's Gn'R were compared to AC/DC.

Black In Black is very easy to like. I was thinking, woudln't have been good 'if' Gn'R had taken AFD and gone onto make AFD II, and AFD III and taking the sound an AFD direction, opposed to a UYI, SI?, Chinese Democracy direction.

Edited by dobadog

You just googled Back in Black?

Glad you found it - Rock classic right there my friend

Ac/Dc is great -

Back when AFD was big, the only AC/DC I owned was a cd single called 'Thunder Struck' which also contained two tracks called 'D.T.' and 'Chase The Ace' (both very cool tracks). A friend of mine played me the AC/DC album called Who 'Made Who' (feat. both D.T. and Chase The Ace') and I wasn't so impressed, and thus mised out on 'Back In Black', until today that is :)

Edited by dobadog

Only just heard of Back in Black?

Would you happen to live under a rock?

haha,

with so many AC/DC albums to choose from, I some how passed on them all, not knowing what to try first.

Edited by dobadog

I read somewhere that Guns N Roses used to listen to Back in Black before they got on stage. I think its the best party rock record ever made. If you put on the titlesong Back in black to a party,everybodys on the dancefloor. Everyone deserves to own High Voltage, Highway to hell, Let there be rock and Back in black. AC/DC makes me happy :lol:

I was thinking, woudln't have been good 'if' Gn'R had taken AFD and gone onto make AFD II, and AFD III and taking the sound an AFD direction, opposed to a UYI, SI?, Chinese Democracy direction.

Yes, it would have been a good decision. But Axl had a flash of inspiration, decided that GNR sucked and prefered to do something else : Silkworms, Oh my God, etc.

I'm really glad to see a reference to AC/DC here. AC/DC hapens to be my all time favourite band (with Guns coming second by a very small margin). AC/DC have not released an album since 2000 and the general public might not remember much about them, but they are still one of the greatest Rock N' Roll bands of all time, if not the greatest of the Hard Rock Bands. Maybe a Led Zep might come out in front. Maybe.

@ Dobadog - Black In Black is probably the pinnacle of AC/DC's raw power but it is only the beginning of the second half of the story of Acca Dacca. BIB happens to be the product of a young but experienced band at the peak of its powers, fronted by a new and dynamic frontman.For me the title of the most perfect Hard Rock album (and also that of the best Hard Rock album of the 80's) would have to be decided in a toss up between BIB and AFD, with BIB ending up just ahead. AFD might have been a debut album but BIB was released just a few months after AC/DC went through the greatest tragedy that could possibly strike a band. Imagine what it would be like if GNR were to release an album two or three months after Axl Rose had suddenly died and they had to go ahead with a new frontman, who would have to fill the shoes of a legend - that's what AC/DC did with BIB. BIB is a tribute album to the life and spirit of the legendary Bon Scott, a frontman so exceptional that in 2004, 24 years after his death, Classic Rock Magazine named him the greatest Rock Frontman of all time - this despite his having helmed AC/DC till only just after they made it really big. The band released the album just a few months after Bon Scott who was famous for his hell raising lifestyle tragically died of alcohol posioning/asphyxiation.Listen to Highway to Hell, AC/DC's last album before Black in Black. It's got almost everything that BIB has, but one thing that it doesn't - Bon Scott. While it might be true that many of the later AC/DC albums fronted by Brian Johnson do not vary much in sound and that Acca Dacca have been perhaps the only Rock Band to stick to the formula of doing what they do best without bothering to change (not even the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith can claim that), the pre Black in Black albums from the Bon Scott era - High Voltage, Let there be Rock, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Powerage, Highway to Hell, If you want Blood you've got it! and 74' Jailbreak(released after BIB) are all exceptional and in a seperate class from the later albums. They are Raw, earthy, powerful, bluesy Hard Rock N' Roll.

AC/DC have always been one of the biggest influences on GNR and on many other bands belonging to genres ranging from Heavy Metal to Hard Rock to Garage Rock and even Grunge. Listening to a song like Night Train from either AFD or by the New Guns playing it live, brings home that fact. I saw this in an old interview that Axl had given to an Argentine magazine (from around the late '90s /early 2000s -

R&P: Is your new material more industrial? We hear that it is not very similar to that of your old band.

Axl: It is not industrial, the closest thing to that was perhaps Oh My God, but there are some songs that won't be on the album that were this way. There will be all kinds of styles, many influences as blues, mixed in the songs. But not so much inspiration of Aerosmith or AC/DC that was used on Appetite. Buckethead, his first influence and the reason why he grabbed a guitar for the first time was Angus Young of AC/DC. Several of the boys love to play AC/DC. It is only we will play other styles. When we tried writing songs in the old style of Guns N' Roses, they sounded too old, they didn't sound so alive. We could not make that. And I think that that also passed with the old Guns N' Roses. The songs composed by the boys for another album many years ago, everything sounded old. Then we tried to explore to maintain the band alive.

I know that Axl was probably influenced a lot by Bon Scott (though I am yet to read about a direct acknowledgment of that by the Axe man himself) and that Angus Young definitely was an influence on Slash. I remember reading once that whenever he was out partying at a certain club and a DJ would play Whole Lotta Rosie, Axl would suddenly break out dancing and screaming to the song, pushing people out of his way and just go crazy. There is also the strange story of Mike Patton claiming that Axl believed that he was being possessed by Bon Scott's spirit - which I read from an article somewhere on this forum. Anyhow, old GNR used to play Whole Lotta Rosie live during the AFD years. I really hope that New GNR can get around to doing a studio version cover of that song. AC/DC have long been rumoured to be ready to release a new and possibly final album. Acca Dacca and New Guns on the same bill would be THE dream concert for me.

Edited by The Archer

I'm really glad to see a reference to AC/DC here. AC/DC hapens to be my all time favourite band (with Guns coming second by a very small margin). AC/DC have not released an album since 2000 and the general public might not remember much about them, but they are still one of the greatest Rock N' Roll bands of all time, if not the greatest of the Hard Rock Bands. Maybe a Led Zep might come out in front. Maybe.

@ Dobadog - Black In Black is probably the pinnacle of AC/DC's raw power but it is only the beginning of the second half of the story of Acca Dacca. BIB happens to be the product of a young but experienced band at the peak of its powers, fronted by a new and dynamic frontman.For me the title of the most perfect Hard Rock album (and also that of the best Hard Rock album of the 80's) would have to be decided in a toss up between BIB and AFD, with BIB ending up just ahead. AFD might have been a debut album but BIB was released just a few months after AC/DC went through the greatest tragedy that could possibly strike a band. Imagine what it would be like if GNR were to release an album two or three months after Axl Rose had suddenly died and they had to go ahead with a new frontman, who would have to fill the shoes of a legend - that's what AC/DC did with BIB. BIB is a tribute album to the life and spirit of the legendary Bon Scott, a frontman so exceptional that in 2004, 24 years after his death, Classic Rock Magazine named him the greatest Rock Frontman of all time - this despite his having helmed AC/DC till only just after they made it really big. The band released the album just a few months after Bon Scott who was famous for his hell raising lifestyle tragically died of alcohol posioning/asphyxiation.Listen to Highway to Hell, AC/DC's last album before Black in Black. It's got almost everything that BIB has, but one thing that it doesn't - Bon Scott. While it might be true that many of the later AC/DC albums fronted by Brian Johnson do not vary much in sound and that Acca Dacca have been perhaps the only Rock Band to stick to the formula of doing what they do best without bothering to change (not even the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith can claim that), the pre Black in Black albums from the Bon Scott era - High Voltage, Let there be Rock, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Powerage, Highway to Hell, If you want Blood you've got it! and 74' Jailbreak(released after BIB) are all exceptional and in a seperate class from the later albums. They are Raw, earthy, powerful, bluesy Hard Rock N' Roll.

AC/DC have always been one of the biggest influences on GNR and on many other bands belonging to genres ranging from Heavy Metal to Hard Rock to Garage Rock and even Grunge. Listening to a song like Night Train from either AFD or by the New Guns playing it live, brings home that fact. I saw this in an old interview that Axl had given to an Argentine magazine (from around the late '90s /early 2000s -

R&P: Is your new material more industrial? We hear that it is not very similar to that of your old band.

Axl: It is not industrial, the closest thing to that was perhaps Oh My God, but there are some songs that won't be on the album that were this way. There will be all kinds of styles, many influences as blues, mixed in the songs. But not so much inspiration of Aerosmith or AC/DC that was used on Appetite. Buckethead, his first influence and the reason why he grabbed a guitar for the first time was Angus Young of AC/DC. Several of the boys love to play AC/DC. It is only we will play other styles. When we tried writing songs in the old style of Guns N' Roses, they sounded too old, they didn't sound so alive. We could not make that. And I think that that also passed with the old Guns N' Roses. The songs composed by the boys for another album many years ago, everything sounded old. Then we tried to explore to maintain the band alive.

I know that Axl was probably influenced a lot by Bon Scott (though I am yet to read about a direct acknowledgment of that by the Axe man himself) and that Angus Young definitely was an influence on Slash. I remember reading once that whenever he was out partying at a certain club and a DJ would play Whole Lotta Rosie, Axl would suddenly break out dancing and screaming to the song, pushing people out of his way and just go crazy. There is also the strange story of Mike Patton claiming that Axl believed that he was being possessed by Bon Scott's spirit - which I read from an article somewhere on this forum. Anyhow, old GNR used to play Whole Lotta Rosie live during the AFD years. I really hope that New GNR can get around to doing a studio version cover of that song. AC/DC have long been rumoured to be ready to release a new and possiblyy final album. Acca Dacca and New Guns on the same bill would be THE dream concert for me.

Highway to Hell is next on my list of wants :D

..and funny enough, Gn'Rs Nightrain is one of my favourite Gn'R songs (especially the Live Era version).

I read somewhere that Guns N Roses used to listen to Back in Black before they got on stage. I think its the best party rock record ever made. If you put on the titlesong Back in black to a party,everybodys on the dancefloor. Everyone deserves to own High Voltage, Highway to hell, Let there be rock and Back in black. AC/DC makes me happy :lol:

Not just GNR, but arch rivals Nirvana too were influenced by Acca Dacca! Cobain learned the guitar strumming to AC/DC and Dave Grohl too listens to tracks from BIB to pump himself up before going on stage. This happens to be the one thing about Nirvana that I like, lol :tongue2:

I'm really glad to see a reference to AC/DC here. AC/DC hapens to be my all time favourite band (with Guns coming second by a very small margin).

Acca Dacca and New Guns on the same bill would be THE dream concert for me.

wow, your like my twin. :xmassrudolph:

Lol, Bon Scott Lives! rock3

Theres things I like better about both bands. AC/DC has always stayed true to their hard rock n roll ruits, all of their songs kinda have the same vibe but they all have brilliant riffs and solos and both Bon Scott and Brian Johnson had/have great rock voices. As much as I love UYIs and Lies, if GNR had kept the AFD sound going the same way as AC/DC I probably wouldnt have a problem with it, but it wouldnt be as real as AFD and we wouldnt have gotten masterpieces like November Rain and Coma. The thing about AC/DC is that they are just total sleazeballs while GNR had Axl and Izzy who had their soft sides and put that into their lyrics.

I love both bands, although I'd have to put GN'R ahead by quite a ways. You know when an AC/DC song is being played because the guitar and drums sound the same in almost every song. Angus busted out a few good solos, but nowhere close to anything Slash did. AC/DC was able to still be good after losing their first lead singer, but GN'R would never have been able to continue nearly as well without Axl (just check out Velvet Revolver). In a way it's a good thing that they went the direction they did the the Illusions because they weren't repetitive at all, and it brought out a new style that still kicked ass.

And how'd you just hear about Back In Black? It has some of the most famous songs ever on it...Back In Black, You Shook Me All Nite Long, Hells Bells, Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, Have A Drink on Me, etc.

nah I have High Voltage, Highway to Hell and Back in Black, HtH and BiB really impressed me but High Voltage, not so much.. I thougt the only great song on the album was the cover song, Baby, Please Don't Go and I like Aerosmith's cover better.. all the other songs on HV I found very weak

ACDC's TNT was the first rock song I ever liked though, I heard it when I got Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 I think and everytime I was studying or just doing something I turned on the Tony Hawk game and found TNT and listened to it, if I remember correctly it was called "track 17" on Tony Hawk :P had no idea what band this was, I was only like 11 years old and didn't know much about music, began listening to GN'R on my 12 year old birthday, that's when I ACDC stopped being my fav. band

EDIT: so I had a good 1 year with ACDC :D

Edited by Revolver

for straight up rock n roll no one does it like the DC. the whole Highway to Hell album is fantastic with some real different sounds to it. and songs like 'ride on' and 'Night Prowler' are great to kick back to.

you can directly compare the two but AC/DC inspired so many people that its hard to discredit them