Smashing Pumpkins vs. Nirvana

arnold layne

Smashing Pumpkins vs. Nirvana  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PUMPKINS ALL THE WAY!

Corgan has 20 times the voice Cobain did, and even if Cobain was still alive, it would be all shredded from all the screaming he did, as Corgan's is in as good shape as it could be. Corgan is also a much more technical guitarist, even getting boarder line complicated where as Cobain's songs were all boring droaning power chords, Corgan's lyrics are much deeper and emotional and really speak to me.

Nirvana's songs also get very boring and all begin to sound the same, where as the Pumpkins have a 3 hour long album (Mellon Collie...) and there is hardly a dull moment on it with their creative arrangements and interesting layering.

Edited by pain cake

The Pumpkins for me. The diversity and composition of their sound just speaks to me more. I like Nirvana though, but I get bored with their music after awhile and feel less inspired when I hear them these days. Like Pain Cake said, Nirvana's songs start to sound the same after a while but the Pumpkins know how to take a listener on a roller coaster ride and make them think. To each their own I suppose though.

The Pumpkins for me. The diversity and composition of their sound just speaks to me more. I like Nirvana though, but I get bored with their music after awhile and feel less inspired when I hear them these days. Like Pain Cake said, Nirvana's songs start to sound the same after a while but the Pumpkins know how to take a listener on a roller coaster ride and make them think. To each their own I suppose though.

But I think that Corgan's voice is quite annoying after like six songs, where Cobain's voice is also rather annoying.

So it's a win win lose lose situation for me at least.

But I think that Corgan's voice is quite annoying after like six songs, where Cobain's voice is also rather annoying.

Only time I was ever annoyed with Corgan's voice was the first few times I heard that "The World is a Vampire" on Bullet with Butterly Wings, but I've grown to appreciate it so so much., it's so unique and he has a great range, if you don't believe me just listen to Here is No Why

Only time I was ever annoyed with Corgan's voice was the first few times I heard that "The World is a Vampire" on Bullet with Butterly Wings, but I've grown to appreciate it so so much., it's so unique and he has a great range, if you don't believe me just listen to Here is No Why

I kinda wish they would speed up Zero. And I just like Cobain better I guess....

I kinda wish they would speed up Zero

I wish on Zero they had something different to that "And god is empty, just like me" line, as a dedicated Christian, I just despise that line, it totally stops the song for me

Edited by pain cake

I wish on Zero they had something different to that "And god is empty, just like me" line, as a dedicated Christian, I just despise that line, it totally stops the song for me

Was it intended to be from a Christian Standpoint, or actually talking about god?

:unsure:

Was it intended to be from a Christian Standpoint, or actually talking about god?

I thought it was just a line he made up and just seemed peachy with him since he doesn't believe in god... doesn't he? :confused:

I thought it was just a line he made up and just seemed peachy with him since he doesn't believe in god... doesn't he? :confused:

Idk does it matter?

Idk does it matter?

Well if he believed in god he wouldn't be saying "god is empty" and I wanna know, cause if it is in some twisted way an innocent line I can now rock out to it, but it sounds like hes denouncing god, in which it totally kills a rockin' song for me

Idk does it matter?

Well if he believed in god he wouldn't be saying "god is empty" and I wanna know, cause if it is in some twisted way an innocent line I can now rock out to it, but it sounds like hes denouncing god, in which it totally kills a rockin' song for me

Well ya never know really.I think it's hard to get information off music artist when it's a older song.

Idk does it matter?

I've always felt that the line was written in jest - It just so perfectly captures the faux-emptiness of Gen X in the '90s, it always seemed like a *wink* at the audience at the time.

I'm not sure about his beliefs when he wrote the song, but ever since Machina Billy's been a dedicated and vocal believer, occassionally to the detriment of his own lyrics.

Edited by EccoTides

Why do you despise the line? If you are as dedicated to Christianity as you claim, I see no reason why you should allow a trivial lyric to provoke such a negative response. Music is meant to be felt, experienced, and to provoke thought. It is about sentiment; reflection; discourse. Personally, I think it's a waste of time to be so adamant in your beliefs and highly resistant to anything that is remotely contradictory. The challenge with authentic freedom is to be aware enough to question your assumptions, beliefs, and answers to what you think you know. To challenge the ideas and beliefs that you already have is essential, because these preconceptions don't allow you to see things beyond social stigmas. Question your assumptions; question your paradigms. Doubt your ideas; doubt your beliefs. Take the time to look into them and find out what they truly are. It's the only way you'll ever grow..

Corgan struggled with this for years. As a fan, I think you can show a little respect by listening to every word he sings, regardless of how it makes you feel..

-Kickingthehabit

Why do you despise the line? If you are as dedicated to Christianity as you claim, I see no reason why you should allow a trivial lyric to provoke such a negative response. Music is meant to be felt, experienced, and to provoke thought. It is about sentiment; reflection; discourse. Personally, I think it's a waste of time to be so adamant in your beliefs and highly resistant to anything that is remotely contradictory. The challenge with authentic freedom is to be aware enough to question your assumptions, beliefs, and answers to what you think you know. To challenge the ideas and beliefs that you already have is essential, because these preconceptions don't allow you to see things beyond social stigmas. Question your assumptions; question your paradigms. Doubt your ideas; doubt your beliefs. Take the time to look into them and find out what they truly are. It's the only way you'll ever grow..

Umm that was a little over the top :confused: I'm not gonna go on some spiritual crusade cause of a song. I've had a lot of time to think about and support my beliefs, and that line just bothers me, I sing along to that whole song, and I just can't sing along to "And god is empty, just like me".

Edited by pain cake

never listened to the pumpkins.

Man I can't imagine living without the Pumpkins, download a little to get a taste, then I sugest buying Siamese Dream (it's got a lot of good stuff on a short album, Disarm, Today, Silverfuck, Cherub Rock, Luna) Then get Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and you'll be hooked.

Umm that was a little over the top :confused: I'm not gonna go on some spiritual crusade cause of a song. I've had a lot of time to think about and support my beliefs, and that line just bothers me, I sing along to that whole song, and I just can't sing along to "And god is empty, just like me".

Why does the line bother you so much?

-Kickingthehabit

Actually this has been blown out of proportion, it's just when I listen to the song I sing all the lyrics and love rocking out to it, then when it comes to that climax it's a really sweet part but god has really helped me through some tough times and I just gotta stop singing cause god is not empty, it's just something I thought I'd bring up and it's taken up most of this topic so let's just get off it, it just bothers me, who cares?

Actually this has been blown out of proportion, it's just when I listen to the song I sing all the lyrics and love rocking out to it, then when it comes to that climax it's a really sweet part but god has really helped me through some tough times and I just gotta stop singing cause god is not empty, it's just something I thought I'd bring up and it's taken up most of this topic so let's just get off it, it just bothers me, who cares?

I understand what you're getting at. Your post was just phrased in a way that gave me the impression you were far too encumbered by your beliefs. You cleared everything up, so there's no need to discuss it further.. ;)

Personally, I believe that line is one of Corgan's best lyrics. I interpret it as him referring to his spiritual loneliness. He wasn't saying "Fuck God" or any of that non-sense. The subject matter was more along the lines of coming to grips with what he believed (or didn't believe) at the time. This is why he's still able to sing the song now, despite being a born again Christian..

-Kickingthehabit