Nevermind or Appetite

Butters

Every so often a list of the greatest albums ever made is compiled. Nevermind now charts in the top ten of most of these list. A fucking disgrace . The reason usually is that Nevermind killed off hair metal or some how changed the landscape drastically. It is my belief that GNR/Appetite killed off hair metal. Hair metal was dead for like two year by the time Nevermind came along. Am I the only person who believes that NEvermind is the most overated album of all time, at least over rated by journalist. I dont dislike Nirvana because Axl either i just cant stand how the bands influence is overated, therefore i cant stand them.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't listen to either of these albums anymore, but I at one point both were my favorite. Who cares if something is overrated or underrated, what does that have to do with listening to the music? if you like it, turn on your iPod (or cd player, or other mp3 thingy) and listen to what you like. Easy peezy lemon squezy

Neither album killed hair metal. A lot of good albums just happened to come out in 91 and mainstream music shifted. Gangster rap also really broke into the mainstream that year in a big way, too. NWA's efil4zaggin came out that year and it was the first gangster rap album to debut at number 1 on the charts.

Here are some other big artists who had albums out in 1991:

NWA

Naughty By Nature

2Pac

Ice T

Ice Cube

Public Enemy

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Pearl Jam

Soundgarden

Metallica

Michael Jackson

Edited by ITW 2012

Neither album killed hair metal. A lot of good albums just happened to come out in 91 and mainstream music shifted. Gangster rap also really broke into the mainstream that year in a big way, too. NWA's efil4zaggin came out that year and it was the first gangster rap album to debut at number 1 on the charts.

Rap was still an afterthought. MC Hammer and Kriss Kross were the top rap acts then......I think one of them fools had a cartoon.

Nirvana did it - people can hate'em if they want, but for better or worst they changed music in a way few can claim.

Rap was still an afterthought. MC Hammer and Kriss Kross were the top rap acts then......I think one of them fools had a cartoon.

Nirvana did it - people can hate'em if they want, but for better or worst they changed music in a way few can claim.

That's not true. NWA, Ice T and Public Enemy were all super popular. MC Hammer and Kriss Kross is what the record companies sold to little kids.

Before Nevermind, Appetite was alternative.

Wrong again. Stuff like REM and The Replacements would have been alternative. GNR was 70's rock like The Stones, Zep and Aerosmith.

Edited by ITW 2012

That's not true. NWA, Ice T and Public Enemy were all super popular. MC Hammer and Kriss Kross is what the record companies sold to little kids.

yes it is.

they were fringe artist dude. their videos only got played on yo mtv raps (a 30 minute show), and bet, which isn't as big as it is now.

dude nwa, ice t, and pe were indie back then....but yeah, i know how people like to rewrite history these days. :shrugs:

Before Nevermind, Appetite was alternative.

Wrong again. Stuff like REM and The Replacements would have been alternative. GNR was 70's rock like The Stones, Zep and Aerosmith.

not when compared to what ACTUALLY was being played on the radio and mtv.