Nevermind or Appetite

Butters

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Both are great. I personally like AFD a little better, but I can absolutely see why people rate Nevermind higher.

Comparing Appetite to The Joshua Tree would be more fun. Both came out in 87 and both sold way more copies than Nevermind. Both bands were also way bigger than Nirvana ever was. Bono is Axl's true rival although I guess they were sort of friends.

Erhm...? Nevermind has sold more than The Joshua Tree.

And obviously Nirvana and GN'R were bigger competitors and rivals to each other than GN'R and U2.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

When AFD came out, it made all the hair metal sound bad and look fake. AFD gave hair metal a body blow, exposed and weakened it, then Nevermind delivered the knock out punch. Honestly though, hair metal was on the way out, it would not have been long and it would have faded away anyway. And my two cents on Cobain, he did all the bitching and crying about being rich and famous and not wanting to be a rockstar, but they were all over MTV, they did all the big interviews, they did all the big magazines, they did all the tv shows, he did all the things that he bitched and cried about. Pearl Jam didn't want to be big rockstars so they cut out MTV, cut out big interviews, cut out magazines, cut out the tv shows. Always had more respesct for PJ because of this.

Hair Metal was going to die anyway, but I would say AFD simply because it was first.

IMO, big bands are always big bands no matter called as hair metal or not. And many of 80's bands were doing as good music as Nirvana did.

Grunge killed hair metal in fashion sense and attitude wise. But it did not last long. Because main stream did not identified themselves with this attitude that stood by passivism. Peolpe already feel weak and like a loser most of the times and they need a struggler as a role model.

Edited by axlthebravestsoul

Hair metal killed hair metal. There were too many bands like Enuff Z Nuff, White Lion, etc. that sucked and not enough on par with GnR and the Crue. It became a parody of itself. It was bound to fall off of a cliff at some point and Nirvana just gave it a little push.

Considering the charts at the time...from 1987-1991...hair metal was selling BIG. It wasn't until Nevermind that we saw a mass exodus and teenagers moving on to a new "scene". I think that's the proof right there that Nirvana had the far bigger impact. After Nevermind, MTV and the entire culture changed. It was all grunge/Seattle.

Edited by Nintari

I think MTV killed Hair Metal, just like they killed Grunge. Both albums played a huge part in the death of hair metal's popularity, but it was more hearing the same song every 5 minutes.

I think Appetite was the album that really started the death of hair metal. It was raw, agressive, real, in your face rock and roll. It was a mix of Aerosmith and ACDC, with some Zeppelin and Stones thrown in.

Nevermind was the album that put the final nail in the coffin.

They both equally had a say in the death of hair metal.

I think MTV killed Hair Metal, just like they killed Grunge. Both albums played a huge part in the death of hair metal's popularity, but it was more hearing the same song every 5 minutes.

I think Appetite was the album that really started the death of hair metal. It was raw, agressive, real, in your face rock and roll. It was a mix of Aerosmith and ACDC, with some Zeppelin and Stones thrown in.

How could Appetite kill hair metal, when hair metal DOMINATED after it was released? From 1988-1990, hair metal was massively popular. To me, that pretty much ends the entire argument.

How could Appetite kill hair metal, when hair metal DOMINATED after it was released? From 1988-1990, hair metal was massively popular. To me, that pretty much ends the entire argument.

I didn't say it killed hair metal, I said it was the first blow to hair metal.

I didn't say it killed hair metal, I said it was the first blow to hair metal.

Ok, fair enough. But if it were a major "blow" to hair metal's head, wouldn't hair metal have shown some visual signs of being staggered? When you look at MTV and the Billboard charts between 1988-1990, as far as rock is concerned, you see absolutely no slow down at all. Between those years, Guns N Roses and hair metal coexisted in unison. Hair metal didn't skip a beat after AFD dropped. That album have no negative affect on hair metal at all when you look at the facts.

Hair metal was very popular before and after AFD

GNR was a band that wasn't a bunch of pretty boys writting music and dressing to impress teenie boppers! They were as said before raw, in your face, buck the system and you can fuck off if you don't like it. It was a refreshing change when everyone started to take notice in 1988. The album was in the toliet for months before they released SCOM which was very different from any "ballad" at the time. I myself, I guess am in the minority I hate that damn song always have and always will. I bought AFD right after hearing WTTJ for the first time. It was so refreshing to there somehting different. And that is what happened with Nevermind once the masses have something for so long it's time for change. If it wasn't Nevermind it would have been something else it was going to happen just when???? The ALTURNITIVE music and Rap movement changed the land scape of music it wasn't just Nevermind it was alot of things and Nirvana seems to be the only ones to get all the credit so to speak. They where huge no doubt about it but it wasn't just them that ended the hair metal era.

I don't consider GNR a hair metal band, yeah they had long hair but they weren't pretty boys. They had a nastiness about them and that was there appeal.

Every so often a list of the greatest albums ever made is compiled. Nevermind now charts in the top ten of most of these list. A fucking disgrace . The reason usually is that Nevermind killed off hair metal or some how changed the landscape drastically. It is my belief that GNR/Appetite killed off hair metal. Hair metal was dead for like two year by the time Nevermind came along. Am I the only person who believes that NEvermind is the most overated album of all time, at least over rated by journalist. I dont dislike Nirvana because Axl either i just cant stand how the bands influence is overated, therefore i cant stand them.

Nevermind was stellar for the time period in which it came out, but simply didn't hold up in the long run(for me anyways.) Hair metal lived well beyond AFD, and I think it's a very accurate assessment that Nirvana killed it with the release of that album.

Kurt Cobain destroyed the music I like. So yeah I guess Nevermind made the bigger impact.

Fixed all nice and neat like.

Not a coincidence that after he came along, all rock music was shitty. He let others know that they can make simple music and not have a very unique voice but still get famous with the right hook, which, as you may or may not know, hooks are for 12 year olds.

And yes guys, I know that if I search for 9 hours I'll find your favorite obscure rock band that isn't all that bad. I shouldn't have to do that though.

Edited by ItsSuchACrimeUKnowItsJAKE

Every so often a list of the greatest albums ever made is compiled. Nevermind now charts in the top ten of most of these list. A fucking disgrace . The reason usually is that Nevermind killed off hair metal or some how changed the landscape drastically. It is my belief that GNR/Appetite killed off hair metal. Hair metal was dead for like two year by the time Nevermind came along. Am I the only person who believes that NEvermind is the most overated album of all time, at least over rated by journalist. I dont dislike Nirvana because Axl either i just cant stand how the bands influence is overated, therefore i cant stand them.

Did Appetite kill hair metal: no, just look at the WTTJ video. I'm not sying Appetite was a hair metal album it wasn't, but it was one of several influences the original guns melded into what was in my opioion the best album of all time.

Nevermind was a great album in its own right , but I think you are right it rides high on most top 10s because it marked a cultural watershed rather than the intrinsic briliance of the music itself.

Hair Metal didn't die. Rock bands just changed the way they dressed.

dats some serious philosopher shit i just dropped.

Good quote and seemingly true. Firehouse and Slaughter come to mind, but I might have my years mixed up. I was in 7th grade chasing Jr. High pussy... Girls were growing big boobs at an alarming rate!

Nirvana's best and most influental album was the unplugged show where you could hear the songs behind the noise and in making you "get" what the noise was all about in the first place, it did a lot more for the band and for music than Nevermind.

I completely agree with this.