The Pretty Reckless

Black Sabbath

I've been listening to the new record a lot lately. The first record was a mediocre, fun sleeze-rock record that I listened to once, enjoyed, and forgot. This new one is really fuckin' cool. The first three tracks - Follow Me Down, Going To Hell, and Heaven Knows - set it up nicely. The whole thing is a nice combo of acoustic guitar and metal. You can feel the influences dripping off of some of these tracks, and for good reason (Why'd You Bring A Shotgun To The Party, a song about shootings, reeks of the Manson cuts linked to the Trench Coat Mafia). Taylor's voice sounds great, the band are a much tighter unit, and the songs are way more memorable. I'd highly suggest that people check this record off before writing this band off.

I'd say switching labels went a long way toward taking the leash off song-wise.
No question. She's also openly admitted that this is much more of a "band record" than the last one. The musicians get to stretch their legs a lot more. Hope they come back around on tour soon, a lot of these cuts will absolutely smoke live.

Definitely see this band live if they come to your area! Saw them last night in Brooklyn for the free show they did and they were great

I've been listening to the new record a lot lately. The first record was a mediocre, fun sleeze-rock record that I listened to once, enjoyed, and forgot. This new one is really fuckin' cool. The first three tracks - Follow Me Down, Going To Hell, and Heaven Knows - set it up nicely. The whole thing is a nice combo of acoustic guitar and metal. You can feel the influences dripping off of some of these tracks, and for good reason (Why'd You Bring A Shotgun To The Party, a song about shootings, reeks of the Manson cuts linked to the Trench Coat Mafia). Taylor's voice sounds great, the band are a much tighter unit, and the songs are way more memorable. I'd highly suggest that people check this record off before writing this band off.

Also worth noting: for all of the "just another Hollywood bimbo who thinks she's a musician" criticisms Taylor gets, she has writing credits on every single song. This isn't Lohan/Duff/Gomez singing pop songs a hit-maker wrote in a back room. This band is Taylor's baby, and she handles it extremely well.

Agreed.

Pretty good album. She is a decent singer, they do pretty good live. Never understood all the hate for her.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Society is so fucked up. We can show two naked people grinding on top of a pile of cash, but have to change "Fucked Up World" to "Messed Up World"...

I like the tune. I prefer the darker side of the record (Shotgun To A Party, Heaven Knows, Going To Hell, etc) but like this one alright.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...