The Pretty Reckless

Black Sabbath

By making herself the focus, she degrades the musical quality, IMO.

Yes putting yourself out front takes away focus from the rest of the group, but when a song comes on your ipod or radio, you can't see them anyway and the music stands on its own two legs, certainly with this band it does. Secondly, people are gonna do that anyway, and if a band resists that, it causes unnecessary friction. Paramore and No Doubt tried to fight that, and it almost broke the bands up. Somebody mentioned Grace Potter earlier, she's cool, the band is cool, but everybody knows whose show it is, her name is front and center. There is no hiding who was the focal point on the Distillers, Blondie, Evanescence or Heart. It's the reality of having an attractive lead singer up front.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

this is the same thing axl did w GnR - make it all about him but w/out being a hot blonde chick

"and some musicians who were undoubtedly inorganically tapped for the job." --yeah, who the fuck does that sound like, BBF and DJ??

Can't tell if you're trying to antagonize me or not - but I pretty much agree with you. I make it no secret here that I don't recognize Axl's band as the legitimate Guns N' Roses.

Yes putting yourself out front takes away focus from the rest of the group, but when a song comes on your ipod or radio, you can't see them anyway and the music stands on its own two legs, certainly with this band it does. Secondly, people are gonna do that anyway, and if a band resists that, it causes unnecessary friction. Paramore and No Doubt tried to fight that, and it almost broke the bands up. Somebody mentioned Grace Potter earlier, she's cool, the band is cool, but everybody knows whose show it is, her name is front and center. There is no hiding who was the focal point on the Distillers, Blondie, Evanescence or Heart. It's the reality of having an attractive lead singer up front.

I am a genuine fan of none of those bands, I respected Evanescene for a while. Maybe it has to do with my outlook on music as a musician, but I don't like how the public idolizes frontmen/women and lyric writers as the heart, soul, and brains of a musical group. Some genres this is okay for, but not rock n' roll/hard rock. Call yourself Taylor Momsen, or make it centered around the band. I dislike the in-between, its disingenuous to an institution I hold very dear, the musical group. It's partially due to commercialization too I think; I know that the music business apparatus must exist for musicians to be successful, but there is no arguing that the commercial entities which run this business thrive off of anything they think will make them money, not anything they think has artistic value. Now I'm pretty far from the original topic here, and I don't really have a strong conclusion to end on that ties us back in, so yeah....

As I said, even if it's initally presented as a group, people's focus mostly goes in one direction, neither they, nor we can help that.

The name of the job is Frontman, you're the face of the band, if any other member has more spotlight than you, then you're doing it wrong.

This isn't exclusive to female fronted bands. Most bands, people can only name the singer.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

I really like when she does acoustic sets of songs like 'Make me wanna die' and 'Just Tonight' her voice is amazing and has some raspyness to it. but how she acts on stage/in videos is so clearly fake not buying the slutty goth chick persona at all she was a disney star and fashion model. so far the new songs from their upcoming second album are quite average and sound generic as fuck.

I really like when she does acoustic sets of songs like 'Make me wanna die' and 'Just Tonight' her voice is amazing and has some raspyness to it. but how she acts on stage/in videos is so clearly fake not buying the slutty goth chick persona at all she was a disney star and fashion model. so far the new songs from their upcoming second album are quite average and sound generic as fuck.

I don't really care about pushing the envelope or being un-generic. If they charge more than 20-30 bucks a ticket, I'm not going. I'll listen to the record on spotify rather than pay for it, sure. But if the music is fun I'll give a listen and check out a show.

I don't really care about pushing the envelope or being un-generic. If they charge more than 20-30 bucks a ticket, I'm not going. I'll listen to the record on spotify rather than pay for it, sure. But if the music is fun I'll give a listen and check out a show.

Lastnov tix were only like 17.50 in NYC so no - there not more than $30

would have to disagree with this "but how she acts on stage/in videos is so clearly fake not buying the slutty goth chick persona at all she was a disney star and fashion model. "

given where the music industry is today, anyone that quits a job making $500,000k+ guaranteed to focus on a non-existent music career at the time doesn't strike me as fake

• Like 1

Sorry but everything about this band screams "commercial" in the worst ways possible. I actually cannot believe people are dumb enough to fall for this, it couldn't be any more obvious that Taylor Momson's tight body is being used to sell this vapid piece of shit band. They could throw any assortment of mediocre rock musicans behind this chick and they would get the exact same result; a fanbase of horny drooling neckbeards.

I'm embarrassed for you guys. :no:

• Like 2

Sorry but everything about this band screams "commercial" in the worst ways possible. I actually cannot believe people are dumb enough to fall for this, it couldn't be any more obvious that Taylor Momson's tight body is being used to sell this vapid piece of shit band. They could throw any assortment of mediocre rock musicans behind this chick and they would get the exact same result; a fanbase of horny drooling neckbeards.

Post of the day.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

To be fair, a good number of their audience is young girls, the "horny drooling neckbeards" are far from the majority.

There's some rock fans that are just allergic to female singers. If it's got a girl up front on vocals they will dismiss it immediately.

Edited by moreblack

I actually liked them the 1st time somebody played the CD w/out knowing anything about the singer or her backstory. To think she left a luctative acting career to start a rock band for commercial gain in this music industry especially for rock acts, who've people been saying is dead for years, is the most ridiculous I ever heard.

I didn't know who she was and what she did for living when I first checked out the band since I was never a fan of Gossip Girl and shit. I liked her voice and she turned out a hottie which was a nice bonus.

Don't bother. I'm not embarrassed for myself. :shrugs:

Edited by Scumcat Esq.
  • Like 1

Got 2 tix to their free show in Brooklyn on 4/16

I like the occasional bit of well-intentioned sleaze rock - Hinder, Steel Panther, TPR. No need to be embarrassed for me. As Dave Grohl says:

“I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. If you fucking like something, like it. That’s what’s wrong with our generation: that residual punk rock guilt, like, “You’re not supposed to like that. That’s not fucking cool.” Don’t fucking think it’s not cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic.” It is cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic”! Why the fuck not? Fuck you! That’s who I am, goddamn it! That whole guilty pleasure thing is full of fucking shit.”

If you ain't trying, why do it at all?

Rockers not trying, is what allowed grunge and alternative to take off, which drove a good bit of the mainstream away, and allowed pop and hip hop to bury it. Hasn't recovered since aside from a few well established bands.

Edited by moreblack

Wow, Cindy Lou got slutty.

Omg a good girl gone bad that's so edgy and original. I've never seen something like this before, just like that corvette.

If you ain't trying, why do it at all?

Rockers not trying, is what allowed grunge and alternative to take off, which drove a good bit of the mainstream away, and allowed pop and hip hop to bury it. Hasn't recovered since aside from a few well established bands.

If I recall correctly. Cindy always mentioned that grunge acts such as Nirvana, were an inspiration to her.
  • Like 1