Mike Myers discusses the studio's insistence to use GN'R in Wayne's World

http://www.wtfpod.com/

Click the Mike Myers interview. About an hour and five minutes in, the host, Marc Maron, asks Myers about his reputation for being perceived as difficult (he's alienated a lot of people in the industry over the years, and the director of Wayne's World, Penelope Spheeris, has repeatedly taken to the press to call him a diva, etc.).

Anyway, Myers defends himself by saying that he always wanted to protect his artistic vision. An example he uses is that, during Wayne's World, the studio insisted upon using GN'R -- who he rightfully claims were huge at the time -- during the now-iconic "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene. Myers resisted and threatened to walk off the set if they didn't use Rhapsody. Apparently this caused the studio to get up in arms and also helped earn him a reputation for being difficult to work with.

Mind you, I've heard some other interesting stories about Myers. During the shoot of "So I Married an Axe Murderer" he supposedly locked himself in his trailer and refused to cooperate with the film's director. He definitely has a reputation for being a bit of a brat, but I still thought the GN'R anecdote was kind of interesting, and I was trying to imagine the scene working with, say, Welcome to the Jungle or SCOM rather than Bohemian Rhapsody. Even though I love GN'R, I think Myers was right to stick to his 'guns,' so to speak.

The closest those Wayne's World movies got to Guns N' Roses was Garth's T-Shirt.

screen%20shot%202013-04-24%20at%203.51.0

... I don't think that Bohemian Rhapsody scene should have changed but those films could have used more Guns N' Roses.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Great fan fact ER.

Ironically I think Axl's preference would've probably been Queen too. That scene really is a landmark for the renaissance of the song. It was everywhere (again) after that.

MM's comedy is a bit too Saturday Night Live for me, but I still enjoyed WW a lot.

• Like 1

I've met this guy in the past, real cock-sucker. He's a weasel.

Please elaborate!

I love hearing these stories. He definitely came across as super-defensive and a bit pompous in the Maron interview, though he eased up as it went on and you could tell he was at least passionate about what he does and cares what fans think, which, in a way, I guess, relates him to Axl Rose.

Please elaborate!

I love hearing these stories. He definitely came across as super-defensive and a bit pompous in the Maron interview, though he eased up as it went on and you could tell he was at least passionate about what he does and cares what fans think, which, in a way, I guess, relates him to Axl Rose.

I'll message you in private when I get a chance. It's not something I can share with everyone without implicating myself. I cannot do this in a professional environment.

Please elaborate!

I'll message you in private when I get a chance. It's not something I can share with everyone without implicating myself. I cannot do this in a professional environment.

Add me in on this one.

I actually enjoyed the interview. Had read interviews about him being an arsehole but thought he came off pretty well?

Im terribly sorry but it was poor taste of me to comment in the first place. Having said that. ER is the only person I would dare to repeat the story to. No offense to anyone else. What I will say is that Mike Myers has some emotional problems and believes the world revolves around him. He thinks he is more important than he really is. For someone who made his money being a comedian I don't find his antics in real life very amusing.