The Walking Dead Comic thread (WARNING: possible spoilers for fans of the Walking Dead TV series)

I didn't find a separate thread for fans of the Walking Dead Comic Book series. It's at 154 issues and still going strong. There's lots of interesting stuff in there and while it serves as source material for the popular TV show, the TV series doesn't always stick to the same storyline as the comics. So, this is for those who want to discuss plotlines and deviations from the TV show in the first 154 issues, each month's new issue, or just speculate what's going to happen in the next issue, while waiting for it each month.

So, to set the ball rolling - any thoughts on issue 154?  Does anyone think that Negan and Alpha are going to fall in love ? Will they be a long running, successful and evil power couple?

Edited by The Archer

4 hours ago, AslatIE said:

If Negan and Alpha become a couple, I'll send Kirkman to the mental hospital. 

hahaha.

I think there's a better chance that they knife each other while having sex. But, maybe the story could do with a strong alternative vision to the new world than what Rick is pushing. I think a crazy power couple leading the way could do just that.

But at the same time, I just can't see Negan's character wandering around in fake skin and playing second fiddle or even co-leader to Alpha. Also, everything from the covert nature of how they operate, to the casual rape that the whisperers are comfortable with, might not sit well with him. Maybe Kirkman has a new role for him as villainous comic-relief side-kick.

33 minutes ago, The Archer said:

hahaha.

I think there's a better chance that they knife each other while having sex. But, maybe the story could do with a strong alternative vision to the new world than what Rick is pushing. I think a crazy power couple leading the way could do just that.

But at the same time, I just can't see Negan's character wandering around in fake skin and playing second fiddle or even co-leader to Alpha. Also, everything from the covert nature of how they operate, to the casual rape that the whisperers are comfortable with, might not sit well with him. Maybe Kirkman has a new role for him as villainous comic-relief side-kick.

I had this idea that Negan might kidnapp Alpha and kill her right in front of Rick, so he could slowly make Rick trust him...

30 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

I had this idea that Negan might kidnapp Alpha and kill her right in front of Rick, so he could slowly make Rick trust him...

How does that work? He should have just stayed in his cell or come out and exposed Brandon. That would have been a quicker, easier way to gain Rick's trust.

I think that he was curious about the new dog in town and wanted to check out what the commotion was about, more than gain freedom. He was living easy under a benign dictator and the only thing missing was that he wasn't getting laid.

1 minute ago, The Archer said:

How does that work? He should have just stayed in his cell or come out and exposed Brandon. That would have been a quicker, easier way to gain Rick's trust.

I think that he was curious about the new dog in town and wanted to check out what the commotion was about, more than gain freedom. He was living easy under a benign dictator and the only thing missing was that he wasn't getting laid.

Yeah. Negan might leave after fucking Alpha and finding out about the rape-situation.

3 hours ago, AslatIE said:

Yeah. Negan might leave after fucking Alpha and finding out about the rape-situation.

Leave? You mean, go back to Alexandria or just set out on his own and find some other place to take over?

7 hours ago, The Archer said:

Leave? You mean, go back to Alexandria or just set out on his own and find some other place to take over?

I strongly doubt that Negan will go back to Alexandria like that. Maybe he just tries to go back to the Savior's base?

5 hours ago, AslatIE said:

I strongly doubt that Negan will go back to Alexandria like that. Maybe he just tries to go back to the Savior's base?

Good call on that. That makes a lot of sense. The old Savior crew are effectively rudderless without Dwight there to lead them. So that means there's a leadership vacuum that is perfect for Negan to fill. That' a really stupid gaping hole in the series. With Dwight abdicating responsibility, Rick or Maggie should have moved quickly to ensure a successor for him. Someone or the other should have seen the potential threat. Instead, there's only been speculation about Michonne replacing Ezekiel. I never figure out why they would have worked to put more structure into the old Savior community's government to ensure stability. Kirkman probably left that open on purpose.

If the other three settlements are at all out war with the Whisperers and the little barter economy that Rick and his fellow leaders set up flounders, those guys are going to starve unless they go back to their old ways. I'd say that in such a situation they would willingly welcome Negan back. But it would probably be under a different arrangement. I think that Negan has seen what the future could be and he can't just go back to being a bandit or a little despot with his own harem. Maybe he'll set up his own 'Kingdom' like apparatus, except that his would be a more aggressive, conquering, territory grabbing political system where he can set up some sort of feudal structure. If he could take over all of them, Rick's, Maggie's and Michonne's little group of trading settlements could become the first conquests of a new little Negan empire. But Negan would have to want to run a large complex state and I don't know if his character has shown that he has it in him to do that. Alternatively, Negan may just band together with Rick and the other three settlements against the Whisperers and periodically go to war with them as well as trade with them. I think there are interesting paths that Negan's return to the Saviors could take.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Sometimes the tv show doesn't do exactly what the comics have.

I think it's done purposely so there will be some shocks for the fans of the comics.

Plus I'm sure the comics are more graphic than the show could be on AMC.

Yeah, and they've also done that to drop some characters and develop others while avoiding some topics that would have been difficult to portray on television. For eg - Carol, as Queen of the Apocalypse, is just way more interesting on the TV show, than the confused version of the character that killed herself by walking straight into a zombie, just moments after deflowering Herschel's young teenage son in the prison.

On 5/17/2016 at 2:48 PM, NachoLZ said:

When's the next one out?

Hope that Negan kills the whisperers to show Rick he changed or something.

Another two and half weeks. Instead of shifting to something inconsequential that's happening with one of the supporting characters, I hope that the next issue keeps the story focused on Alpha. She's the most badass, complex character that we've got since Negan. Although, I would really love to know more about the person who's talking to Eugene on the radio. It was an interesting reveal that it was a woman - I can't help wonder if that's Alpha or one of the whisperers trying to use him for information, or if this is just a device to introduce a new group that could change the existing dynamic in interesting ways.

My friend had this theory that the Leatherfaces could kidnap Carl, and cause Rick & Co to panic.
And after a while they find a walker that looks like Carl (ala Gregory trick from S6) and chop off its head and show it to Rick.
Rick goes batshit fucking crazy and declares war against the Leatherfaces.

On 5/21/2016 at 2:49 PM, AslatIE said:

My friend had this theory that the Leatherfaces could kidnap Carl, and cause Rick & Co to panic.
And after a while they find a walker that looks like Carl (ala Gregory trick from S6) and chop off its head and show it to Rick.
Rick goes batshit fucking crazy and declares war against the Leatherfaces.

War has already been declared against the Whisperers - this is all just a buildup to that. Also, I don't think Carl is going anywhere. He and Rick are the main protagonists and the story has to end with at least one of them dying. I don't think that the Whisperers are going anywhere either. Alpha's batshit crazy theories about following the new rules of nature may be ridiculous, but she and her people are survivors.

2 hours ago, AslatIE said:

What if they'll skin Michonne and Aaron? It'd be a fitting death for Michonne, since she technically was a Whisperer before.

Aaron IS dead - Beta knifed him in 154. I should have seen that coming, particularly with Michonne trying to get him to hook up with Jesus, but didn't.

Now, if Kirkman kills of Michonne, I'll send him to the mortuary :lol:. I like this version of Michonne even more than the TV version. She's a real, real badass and maybe she's better off as this world's version of a wandering gunslinger, than as ruler of the Kingdom. But, perhaps its overdue - considering that Andrea has been around so long in this version.

I think that Negan/Beta could hold her hostage, for future leverage, but she isn't as important to Rick and Carl as Andrea is, so I guess I have to agree with you - she is more likely dead.

Edited by The Archer

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, 155 is out. Any thoughts?

I was wrong about Aaron - he's not dead and is clinging on to dear life. I'm a little surprised how this issue went. It wasn't particularly exciting and went over too many different characters and didn't focus on any one thing. Dwight seems to have grown into one of Rick's top right hand men. There was no update from Eugene and the girl on the radio, and Alpha socked it to Negan - okay, that was something. That Beta character would have to be really strong to just lift Negan off the ground. For a moment I thought that this was the end of Michonne. Losing her would be terrible.

On 2.6.2016 at 10:39 AM, The Archer said:

Okay, 155 is out. Any thoughts?

I was wrong about Aaron - he's not dead and is clinging on to dear life. I'm a little surprised how this issue went. It wasn't particularly exciting and went over too many different characters and didn't focus on any one thing. Dwight seems to have grown into one of Rick's top right hand men. There was no update from Eugene and the girl on the radio, and Alpha socked it to Negan - okay, that was something. That Beta character would have to be really strong to just lift Negan off the ground. For a moment I thought that this was the end of Michonne. Losing her would be terrible.

I still want Michonne to be skinned 

15 hours ago, The Archer said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? The comics Michonne is way cooler than the TV Michonne. The TV Michonne is part comic Michonne/ part comic Andrea.

I love the character, but I just have this gut feeling that she's going to get this sort of death. 

30 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

I love the character, but I just have this gut feeling that she's going to get this sort of death. 

Why, because Beta said that she would make a good mask? I think that Beta character is destined to die a terrible death. Dinosaurs like him just can't survive in a world like that, can they?

36 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Why, because Beta said that she would make a good mask? I think that Beta character is destined to die a terrible death. Dinosaurs like him just can't survive in a world like that, can they?

I've been thinking about this death wayy before Beta (lol beta)

I think that he'll stick around for a little while.

• 1 month later...