how did you get into gnr

Marky

well, for me, i was sitting next to this guy on the school coach while in france on a school trip i mid 2004. he had his walkman. i didnt really know him, but i sat next to him because there were no seats left. he said 'have you heard this song before?' and put an earphone in my ear. the beginning of sweet child o mine played and i though 'wow thats excellent!' and i said 'who is it?' 'guns n roses' came the reply. me and that guy have been best friends ever since.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, for me, i was sitting next to this guy on the school coach while in france on a school trip i mid 2004. he had his walkman. i didnt really know him, but i sat next to him because there were no seats left/i have no friends

awwww :(

and i really cant remember

a couple of years ago when i was about 15 in 2002..i was looking in my local music store and saw a copy of a4d in the bargain bin for £3.99 I thought the artwork looked cool and i had heard about how big gnr once were so i decided to buy the copy.

Got home blasted out wttj and i just went :o:drevil::blink: FUCKING HELL i had never heard rock music this good before. For the rest of the week when comming home from school to going to bed i blasted the album out of my cd walkman and did air guitar to all the songs!

wttj and scom are the obvious ones you easily get into...after a while though you do get a bit tired of these two cuz there overplayed on radio but still i cant forget the first time i heard these two songs...man did i have an experiance!

About 4, maybe 5 years ago, a friend of mine showed me Live Era disc 2 .... and i remember listening Rocket Queen like 30 times on reply.... and there it was.... one way ticket to GNR world, and no return.... rock3 rock3

[m.]

Guest cherry_bomb

13 years old, my friend hada copy, we listened, i loved it, she turned into a chav, i turned into a gnr obsessive.

I was born singing WTTJ :P

Seriously though, I remember being about 12 hearing NR for the first time, but being that young my priorities weren't on music, so I just listend to my sisters copy of AFD & UYI. When I passsed my driving test I bought one of everything with GNR on it from HMV, and I'm very confident in saying that nothing other than GNR albums have been in my CD player. Seriously :)

Grimo.

I think i was about 11 years old when i first heard Guns N Roses. I started to lisen to the LPs my brother had, and i thought it was awsome. Didnt start listen to them more regulary before i was 14 i think, Because my brother took his LPs with him when he moved:(.

I have to admit I didn't like GNR at first. I only heard Welcome and did not like it for some reason. I was more into Maiden and Merciful Fate because all the hair bands were really starting to suck. To this day it is still one of my least favorites (ok let the bashing begin)----then one day shortly after Appetite was released Sweet Child came on the radio as I was driving. I was blown away and my life (as a musician and music lover) was forever changed. I quickly went out and bought the album and thought this was the best band to come around in many many years. After Illusions came out I felt GNR was CLOSE to being as brilliant as the mighty Zep, AC/DC, Floyd, Rush, etc.....Then of course they dissapeared from the music scene until 2002. Use Your Illusion 1 is still one of my favorite albums of all time. I just wish they could have put out more material and wish they would have stayed together longer. Gotta give a band like Rush serious props. The same members with no breakups for over 30 years. No messy fights, breakups, or new members (with the exception of Neil Peart not being on the 1st album). That is pretty much unheard of.

When I was 14, I watched Headbangers Ball on MTV (The old people here will remember) I saw him get off that bus in WTTJ. I was hooked!

Back in the day, you could sleep outside Ticketron (showing my age again) I slept for 2 days in early winter outside of Sears on cement with only a sleeping bag, to get the best tickets I could to my first GNR show.

Nice memories. :)

In the end of 2004 (or was it a t the beginning of 2005? well, anyway...) I first saw the November Rain video and I really liked it. It was a great song. I saw it a few times on TV and meanwhile I allready had also heard "Welcome To The Jungle" and "Paradise City", so I decided to buy the "Greatest Hits" album. I listened to it very much and then a few weeks or maybe one or two months later, I bought Appetite. I really fell in love with Nightrain, I listened to it about 10 times a day and it is still my most listened song. I had fallen in love with GN'R :wub:

**old guy remembers Headbangers Ball**

ok...another one showing his age,A good friend of mine went to see the Cult in 1987 in Toronto.

Guns opened,my friend had never heard of GnR and knew nothing about them.Guns came on and ripped his skull off....he barely remembers seeing the Cult...in fact,he left early.Guns blew him away and he knew had just seen the next big thing.

He came back raving about the band...just freaking about them.

This guy knows his shit...so I took note.

My first song was the video for Jungle...gotta say,I couldn't get past the teased out hair,I wrote them off as another Hollywood hair band.

As time went on...I didn't mind what I was hearing from them.Then I saw footage of them on t.v. (Much Music) from Rock in Rio 2 (which I recorded and STILL have the tape).THAT performance blew me away...just knocked me on my ass.

What sealed the deal was my first Guns gig in June 1991 in Toronto (before Illusions came out)...I'd seen a lot of concerts up to that point...but Guns live was unlike ANYTHING I had ever experienced before...the power,the attitude,the intense energy of the songs live...and AXL fucking Rose on stage...absolutely nothing like it!

I was hooked...BIG time...two months later I flew to England to see them at Wembley Stadium.From that point on...I've gone to see them every opportunity I get...including Hammerstein.