Best, most accurate review of Chinese Democracy

Sorry is quite boring and This I Love is lyrically very flimsy. The money is in Street of Dreams (also lyrically dodgy but the passion and the music pulls it through), TWAT, Better, Catcher (again, dodgy lyrics).

Sorry has catchy melody though, and imo Axl is quite venimous on that song. Arguably the most venimous he has ever been on a song. I don't think it is a great song, no. But it sounds like guns n' roses, which was my point. Same goes for This I love, it just sounds like gnr. Is TIL NR's little sister? Yes probably, but it has that sound. Axl bares his soul on that song, which After the venom of sorry, is sorta refreshing.

The epics like TWAT, Prostitute,and Maddy just wouldn't work as singles. They are too long, and Estranged was not a big hit either. They are just not "hit" material, great songs yes, but not for radio play. So what's left? IRS, Scraped, Riad, and If the world. NO NO NO, none of those should be singles. I stand by my previous post, paring each single with a solid opposite B side would really help also.

Edited by Mike420

Quick look at metacritic:

Prefix Magazine: "Even if it came out in 1996, it would still be self-absorbed, turgid, over-produced and soulless."

Under the Radar: "Chinese Democracy is a multi-million dollar dud, an example of faded brilliance and wasted time."

Q Magazine: "By throwing everything at the wall and nailing up the stuff that didn't stick, he's done himself--and more importantly what he clearly views as his masterpiece--a grand disservice."

Slant Magazine: "While the band's label, fans and a handful of rock journalists would like to hail this album as the Second Coming of Rock, the reality is that Chinese Democracy is neither a musical resurrection nor the audio equivalent of Ishtar."

Pitchfork: "Even if Chinese Democracy had dropped a decade previous, it would still sound dated."

And again, I'll emphasize that I am not saying these are the "best, most accurate" reviews.

Prefix Magazine: "Even if it came out in 1996, it would still be self-absorbed, turgid, over-produced and soulless."

Under the Radar: "Chinese Democracy is a multi-million dollar dud, an example of faded brilliance and wasted time."

Q Magazine: "By throwing everything at the wall and nailing up the stuff that didn't stick, he's done himself--and more importantly what he clearly views as his masterpiece--a grand disservice."

Slant Magazine: "While the band's label, fans and a handful of rock journalists would like to hail this album as the Second Coming of Rock, the reality is that Chinese Democracy is neither a musical resurrection nor the audio equivalent of Ishtar."

Pitchfork: "Even if Chinese Democracy had dropped a decade previous, it would still sound dated."

And again, I'll emphasize that I am not saying these are the "best, most accurate" reviews.

Well for every person that likes CD there is someone that hates it.

Well for every person that likes CD there is someone that hates it.

I think your ratio is off, but fair enough. :lol:

Accurate?

When did opinion become set in stone?

This is how it works:

CD being praised: Accurate, fair review.

CD being thrased: The "journalist" clearly hates Axl and probably hasn't heard the record.

That sums up 5+ years of Discussion and News. Very well done.

CD is only ever grudgingly praised, but it is never really fully trashed either.

I found most to be pretty fair 7/10 reviews.

Personally ITW is the stand out track. If that wasn't a hit, then it's TIL.

This is why you almost always suck as a poster in D&N. You don't even pay attention to what people are saying when they try to discuss with you. If some of those quotes I posted aren't trashing CD, then I don't know what the fuck someone would have to say for you to admit they're trashing it.