What if Rick Rubin produced the next album?

Rick Rubin is archaic, especially for what Axl was trying to do with CD. He might as well try to ask Jeff Lynne or Dave Stewart.

I would like to think Rick Rubin has the potential to adapt the sound that Axl wants for the new album.

But speaking of Jeff Lynne, I could actually see him producing it. He's got the ability to satisfy Axl's grand pretensions and he can make the music so dense and insufferable that there's no room to breathe (Which was basically a huge chunk of CD).

I would really prefer the band to handle production. Wasn't that one of the reasons Pitman was brought in? Isn't that why Tommy was called "The General"? Because he oversaw recording? I don't think they need a producer when ultimately Axl is running the show and has the final say anyway.

Imagine if Axl showed a producer he hired a song and the producer told him no. That producer would be out on his ass in a second.

Edited by liers

I would really prefer the band to handle production. Wasn't that one of the reasons Pitman was brought in? Isn't that why Tommy was called "The General"? Because he oversaw recording? I don't think they need a producer when ultimately Axl is running the show and has the final say anyway.

Imagine if Axl showed a producer he hired a song and the producer told him no. That producer would be out on his ass in a second.

Stintson being referred to as "The General" is because he led the band during rehearsals for the 2001 shows because Axl did not show up to lead them himself.

fuck no

This. Outside of his work with Eminem and the last Cash recordings, I can't think of much I've liked that he's been involved with for years.

You have to be a big name for him to even be remotely active in producing a record. Someone like RHCP, Metallica, Eminem. He has done miracles by bringing back like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Johnny Cash etc. Axl would need him more than he would need Axl lol.

His work with Metallica and Sabbath is definitely not something I'd call miraculous.

Rick working with a competent engineer would be the optimum choice, track record alone is reason to investigate. After that, Nick Raskulinecz (Foo fighters, Rush) might be an interesting choice, as he is also on a winner and he seems to get the results... that last last Rush album was excellent. Could work wonders on a GnR album. The trouble is, working on a Guns album is no easy task. The band will record during he day and Axl will turn up at all hours and stay until he's satisfied, that's a formula for a burnt out producer and engineer... likely making it so that they aren't critically listening. I think Caram should have been more critical on the mixes of CD. you can hear everything and the 'sound' of the album is fantastic but some of the extra flashy bits should probably have been left on the cutting floor.

I hope the next album receives the same production of CD because this album is just outta this world!