Rap is Crap

vulgar

vote Dammit!  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

agreed, rap is crap.. love the retards attempting poetry.. fuckin gold.. but yeah, it's a talentless waist of studio time... maybe it could serve a purpose as a guide for basic music 101.. ya know, beat.. words.. but it really serves no purpose to let those who cant comprehend real music... and for those wo enjoy the really simple things in life.. but in the end it's just, as you said.. retards attempting poetry... and frank.. if you wanna see what a real music video looks like.. try wtaching a slipknot video or just something from the metal genre.. some are laughable.. but most are what rap could never be.. serious... and with a point.. the only thing rap video's are good for is on mute when you're a teenager..

did you ever hear the old addage that talent is technical but passion is borne of simplicity? hip hop is very existential, like rock n roll started off being about y'know? chicks, cars, money, having a good time? what do you think blue suede shoes by elvis or something else by eddie cochran or ready teddy by little richard or Rocket 88?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alot of you say modern rap has no meaning... here I present a challenge to that statement

http://www.myspace.com/knotarapper

check him out, and listen to some of his songs... personally, I love Read A Book for pointing out alot of the problems with the stereotypes rap seems to give its followers these days(white, black, or anything else, alot of "gangstah" rappers and what not fit into that description)

pfffffffffffffffffffff :rofl-lol::lol: :lol:

"buy a book Nlgger, a fucking book Nlgger"

they made fun of that song on nobody likes onions (podcast) a while back, it blows my mind to think its an actual song :lol:

"Your body needs water..so drink that shit"

"buy some land, fuck spinning rims" :lol: !!

alot of you say modern rap has no meaning... here I present a challenge to that statement

check him out, and listen to some of his songs... personally, I love Read A Book for pointing out alot of the problems with the stereotypes rap seems to give its followers these days(white, black, or anything else, alot of "gangstah" rappers and what not fit into that description)

they made fun of that song on nobody likes onions (podcast) a while back, it blows my mind to think its an actual song :lol:

Sounds familiar to a Chris Rock joke.

"I love black people, but I hate hooray for tolerance!s! hooray for tolerance!s take credit for something they're supposed to do. 'I take care of my kids': You're fuckin supposed to!"

Chris Rock

Sounds familiar to a Chris Rock joke.

"I love black people, but I hate hooray for tolerance!s! hooray for tolerance!s take credit for something they're supposed to do. 'I take care of my kids': You're fuckin supposed to!"

Chris Rock

its meant to be understood on that too, i.e. humor. it is an actual song JDRM, just like Amish Paradise is an actual song.

heres some rap for ya, a song called i gave you power by Nas, told from the perspective of a gun, artist merit, creative merit, intellectual insight all apply to this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f8GjVa7ihVs

comments, criticisms and assesments are welcome.

Edited by ffrankwhite

agreed, rap is crap.. love the retards attempting poetry.. fuckin gold.. but yeah, it's a talentless waist of studio time... maybe it could serve a purpose as a guide for basic music 101.. ya know, beat.. words.. but it really serves no purpose to let those who cant comprehend real music... and for those wo enjoy the really simple things in life.. but in the end it's just, as you said.. retards attempting poetry... and frank.. if you wanna see what a real music video looks like.. try wtaching a slipknot video or just something from the metal genre.. some are laughable.. but most are what rap could never be.. serious... and with a point.. the only thing rap video's are good for is on mute when you're a teenager..

did you ever hear the old addage that talent is technical but passion is borne of simplicity? hip hop is very existential, like rock n roll started off being about y'know? chicks, cars, money, having a good time? what do you think blue suede shoes by elvis or something else by eddie cochran or ready teddy by little richard or Rocket 88?

I know frank.. but it's teh simplicity of the actual music, and the lyrics that 99% of rap is about, that make's it suck.. granted as i've stated millions of time's, that rap does have it's good aswell as it's bad, but the good is way over shadowed by the bad.. for every tupac there's 50 othe rmotherfucker's doin just bullshit music... and even tupac's actual music, not lyrics.. were very simplistic in there form... play me carry on my wayward son.. that's fuckin music.. that's inspiring.. that is complicated and nots omething just anybody can do.. that took years and years of practising and sacrificing... that's teh difference between rap and rock.. or even metal.. metal used to bem, and in some cases is very simple.. but when you're talking about bands like lamb of god, shadow fall, dimmu borgir, therion, slipknot (and don;t fuckin comment on slipknot if you havent actually listened to the music.... and hearing a few songs once or twice isn't listening to the music.. the music thats lipknotd oes is very intrecate and complex, so if youd ont knwo what you're talkin about dont comment on it...) I mean look at anthrax and black sabbath and Iron Maiden.. thats fuckin music.. Jimi Hendrix, led zepplin, Queen... thats fuckin music man.. lil bow wow? You're gonna put lil bow wow in the same categorey as a creedance? You're gonna put picture me rollin, against the light that blinds? Dear momma against Bohemian Rhapsody? I mean come on, cant you see the clear difference.. and why should I forfeit technical art for simplstic passion? Why cant both be fused? Why does it have to be simple? Isn't simple also a nice way of saying stupid? As in simple minded? I prefer something that contains passion and technical know how.. as I said, practise.. years and years of practising something.. and never mastering it.. no one ever master's the guitar.. they always strive to be better.. to learn more.. the only goal in rap is to make another album two weeks after your last oen dropped so you can make money.. there's no passion in that.. only greed..

You don't see guys like him making it big unless you're Talib Kweli, Common, or Nas. That's the problem.

True, but, I've been noticing this guy getting alot of attention lately... and his Read A Book video debuted on BET, I get the feeling this guy is probably gonna get big

dude... you're stereotyping an entire genre, and have apparently given no thought to what your saying. An how can you complain about talentless people... then recommend Slipknot to the masses? I do believe its time you rethink the definition of talent, my friend.

And the only time I see videos that mean anything are when the videos are made by people giving political opinions through music... like, say, System of a Down with their video for BYOB, or anything by Rage Against the Machine that I've seen... as well as a few hip-hop(especially by that Bomani guy I posted the myspace link for earlier) videos I've seen. Please, do proper research before saying certain things, or you'll end up looking very foolish.

As far as rapper's being talentless and not understanding music... I would like to ask you, not only to make your own offering of a rap for us as others have asked, but, make up your own beat to go with your rap, and let's see you record it yourself and make it listenable. If you succeed in all these tasks, well then, by God, you might jyst be right, but, until then, sod off with your obviously biased view. If you can't look at things with open eyes, I fear you simply should not look at things.

as soon as you can play any slipknot song, all instruments, i'll add my offering of rap... since slipknot is so talentless... It should be so easy for someone who understands music aswell as you do.. especially drumming.. the drumming of Joey should be no problem.. i'll be waiting for it..

EDIT:Just who do you think you are I have to ask? Calling name's on the computer? How "hard" of you.. you must be down with the hommie's huh?..lol.. whatever dude.. the recording and beat creating are the hardest part.. because of the hardware and software you have to buy in order to make it possible, but past that all you gotta do is READ THE FUCKIN MANUAL and use your imagination.. and the writting doesnt have to be an aspect of your life.. but can you play a guitar? Can you play the drums? Can you sing? Can you play the bass? Do you have proper timing and rythem? Is your imagination well enough to get your emotions and thoughts out on to paper, while sinking it up with the tone of the music? Can you do anything thats required of a real muscian? Let's hear it.. I just wanna hear that slipknot.. let me just hear you play Joey's solo... please.. I beg of you.. let me just hear you play spit it out.. pulse of the maggot's.. hell, i'll even cut you a break and you can just play the light that blinds by shadows fall.. let me hear you make up something as emotinal and creative as cemetary gates by pantera.. let's hear your great contribution to the talesntless world of slipknot and metal?

Edited by oogieboogieman420

You don't see guys like him making it big unless you're Talib Kweli, Common, or Nas. That's the problem.

True, but, I've been noticing this guy getting alot of attention lately... and his Read A Book video debuted on BET, I get the feeling this guy is probably gonna get big

dude... you're stereotyping an entire genre, and have apparently given no thought to what your saying. An how can you complain about talentless people... then recommend Slipknot to the masses? I do believe its time you rethink the definition of talent, my friend.

And the only time I see videos that mean anything are when the videos are made by people giving political opinions through music... like, say, System of a Down with their video for BYOB, or anything by Rage Against the Machine that I've seen... as well as a few hip-hop(especially by that Bomani guy I posted the myspace link for earlier) videos I've seen. Please, do proper research before saying certain things, or you'll end up looking very foolish.

As far as rapper's being talentless and not understanding music... I would like to ask you, not only to make your own offering of a rap for us as others have asked, but, make up your own beat to go with your rap, and let's see you record it yourself and make it listenable. If you succeed in all these tasks, well then, by God, you might jyst be right, but, until then, sod off with your obviously biased view. If you can't look at things with open eyes, I fear you simply should not look at things.

as soon as you can play any slipknot song, all instruments, i'll add my offering of rap... since slipknot is so talentless... It should be so easy for someone who understands music aswell as you do.. especially drumming.. the drumming of Joey should be no problem.. i'll be waiting for it..

EDIT:Just who do you think you are I have to ask? Calling name's on the computer? How "hard" of you.. you must be down with the hommie's huh?..lol.. whatever dude.. the recording and beat creating are the hardest part.. because of the hardware and software you have to buy in order to make it possible, but past that all you gotta do is READ THE FUCKIN MANUAL and use your imagination.. and the writting doesnt have to be an aspect of your life.. but can you play a guitar? Can you play the drums? Can you sing? Can you play the bass? Do you have proper timing and rythem? Is your imagination well enough to get your emotions and thoughts out on to paper, while sinking it up with the tone of the music? Can you do anything thats required of a real muscian? Let's hear it.. I just wanna hear that slipknot.. let me just hear you play Joey's solo... please.. I beg of you.. let me just hear you play spit it out.. pulse of the maggot's.. hell, i'll even cut you a break and you can just play the light that blinds by shadows fall.. let me hear you make up something as emotinal and creative as cemetary gates by pantera.. let's hear your great contribution to the talesntless world of slipknot and metal?

What name did I call you? I fail to see that in my own post.

As far as playing a Slipknot song? Where's the challenge in that? No matter how complicated it may be musically, once its been written, all the difficulties been taken away. And Slipknot may well have the world's greatest instrumental band ever(which I'd argue with, but, thats all opinion). The reason I call them talentless is because of their vocals, their vocalist either screams(which I can do, it takes no talent, I've had bands ask me to be their screamer in the past), or, when he tries to sing, his voice comes off sounding off, just something I can't enjoy(although I do enjoy some screaming, particularly Mike Patton).

You seem to be claiming I don't like metal? I enjoy Pantera, I rarely go a day without listening to some heavy album or another, recently I've really been digging In This Moment for my fix of heavy.

As far as insulting my musicianship? I will have you know I play saxophone, and have been offered a part in a few ska bands. I also own myself a bass, an acoustic, and a banjo, been looking for a teacher for all of them for a few years now, unfortunately, every time I find one, I don't have the money.

Just because I like rap more than Slipknot doesn't mean I don't enjoy heavy music, or rock music. I actually only have about 5 rap albums, compared to my personal(and growing) collection of over 140 rock cds(of what I own legally, anyways). I can read music, both bass clef and treble clef, I can write music, and, am in music recording/production and music business right now. Unlike you, I try not to judge any one form of music. Anything can be considered music. Don't believe me?

Look up a composer named john Cage... I'll provide you with a link to one of his most famous pieces right here, if you'd like.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

This is called 4:33. Some of you may recognize this, and, for the record, yes, it is music.

In fact, Mr. Cage said that all sound is music. Including the lack of sound. I really do know my shit when it comes to music, my friend, it's the only thing I care about, I would even defend Slipknot as music if this was a thread bashing them, I don't judge based on style, I judge based on personal opinion, which is the only thing to judge by. The only reason I argue with your point of view is because you go out of your way to bash something, for no reason, as did the person who started this topic. I speak in defense of music as a whole, please do keep that in mind.

I know frank.. but it's teh simplicity of the actual music, and the lyrics that 99% of rap is about, that make's it suck.. granted as i've stated millions of time's, that rap does have it's good aswell as it's bad, but the good is way over shadowed by the bad.. for every tupac there's 50 othe rmotherfucker's doin just bullshit music... and even tupac's actual music, not lyrics.. were very simplistic in there form... play me carry on my wayward son.. that's fuckin music.. that's inspiring.. that is complicated and nots omething just anybody can do.. that took years and years of practising and sacrificing... that's teh difference between rap and rock.. or even metal.. metal used to bem, and in some cases is very simple.. but when you're talking about bands like lamb of god, shadow fall, dimmu borgir, therion, slipknot (and don;t fuckin comment on slipknot if you havent actually listened to the music.... and hearing a few songs once or twice isn't listening to the music.. the music thats lipknotd oes is very intrecate and complex, so if youd ont knwo what you're talkin about dont comment on it...) I mean look at anthrax and black sabbath and Iron Maiden.. thats fuckin music.. Jimi Hendrix, led zepplin, Queen... thats fuckin music man.. lil bow wow? You're gonna put lil bow wow in the same categorey as a creedance? You're gonna put picture me rollin, against the light that blinds? Dear momma against Bohemian Rhapsody? I mean come on, cant you see the clear difference.. and why should I forfeit technical art for simplstic passion? Why cant both be fused? Why does it have to be simple? Isn't simple also a nice way of saying stupid? As in simple minded? I prefer something that contains passion and technical know how.. as I said, practise.. years and years of practising something.. and never mastering it.. no one ever master's the guitar.. they always strive to be better.. to learn more.. the only goal in rap is to make another album two weeks after your last oen dropped so you can make money.. there's no passion in that.. only greed..

i see a difference, i see different kinds of music but theres a reason why page and plant do what they do and Run DMC do what they do and neither can authentically pull off the other persons work. it doesnt HAVE to be simple but its allowed to be, its allowed to be simple and its perfectly alright to be simple, no simple doesnt mean stupid, no minimalism doesnt mean stupid, its like for example you got buckethead right, he's a guitar player, he's better than most, definitely with more range than most yet ask him to play a bluesy Slashesque solo, write on even, the boy cant do it. simple does not mean stupid, you might be able to play a simple song solidly and with more feeling than say the most technical of technical solos and get a better response. you can strike to be better at anything. and hip hop is no more or less an exercise in commerce than rock n roll is so dont even start confusing that shit, everybodys out for their check dude. why can't both be fused? hows this, why should they HAVE to be fused, as a rule? why can't one exist seperate to the other in instances?

• 2 weeks later...

While I eagerly await the day that rap-hop goes the way of the dinosaur, I also fear just how crappy it's replacement will be. We seem to be on a downward spiral in music that is impossible to save.

Is anyone else a bit tired of 19 year old white boys in their little Japanese cars with the big muffler and neon lights sitting at stop lights with crap-terrible rap-hop blaring out totally distorted? Oh yeah, the hat has to be worn sideways to fit their little click.

Edited by crazyfan

While I eagerly await the day that rap-hop goes the way of the dinosaur, I also fear just how crappy it's replacement will be. We seem to be on a downward spiral in music that is impossible to save.

Is anyone else a bit tired of 19 year old white boys in their little Japanese cars with the big muffler and neon lights sitting at stop lights with crap-terrible rap-hop blaring out totally distorted? Oh yeah, the hat has to be worn sideways to fit their little click.

Hint: try concentrating on your likes instead your dislikes, its more productive that way. spend a little less time whinging like a pensioner about what other people are doing and concentrate on where your own identity. you got a problem with the 19 yr olds? well why bottle it up, confrontation, go ask em to turn it down gramps ;)

I just don't think you can write off any genre, any experimention that easily. Even tho maybe rap/hip hop has taken a route that kind of plays to the lowest common detominator there's still stuff connection to the genre that is good, somewhere, maybe not so easy to find, and maybe not on MTV...but it's there...who can argue with Public Enemy being valid as anything else out there.

Hint: try concentrating on your likes instead your dislikes, its more productive that way. spend a little less time whinging like a pensioner about what other people are doing and concentrate on where your own identity. you got a problem with the 19 yr olds? well why bottle it up, confrontation, go ask em to turn it down gramps ;)

no need to be a smartass about it. i was just saying how i'm sick of rap and i try to avoid it. But, its impossible not to hear it out of other peoples cars, in malls, stores, clubs, etc....

btw I have a question for those of you who know a bit about it. I take for granted that the rapper writes his own lyrics, but what of the music? In watching interviews with guys like Paul Wall or that producer guy in Florida, I get the feeling that they come up with the beats, drums, bass, etc...and that many producers actually do the music part of the songs while the rapper only does the lyrics. True/False or in between?

no need to be a smartass about it. i was just saying how i'm sick of rap and i try to avoid it. But, its impossible not to hear it out of other peoples cars, in malls, stores, clubs, etc....

btw I have a question for those of you who know a bit about it. I take for granted that the rapper writes his own lyrics, but what of the music? In watching interviews with guys like Paul Wall or that producer guy in Florida, I get the feeling that they come up with the beats, drums, bass, etc...and that many producers actually do the music part of the songs while the rapper only does the lyrics. True/False or in between?

In between... I know a few local rappers, some who produce all their own material and make their own beats, others who only rap. It all depends on how serious the people are about what they're doing, and, how talented they are outside of the rhyming

In between... I know a few local rappers, some who produce all their own material and make their own beats, others who only rap. It all depends on how serious the people are about what they're doing, and, how talented they are outside of the rhyming

thanx i asked because there are very little rappers were i'm at but plenty of wannabes.

thanx i asked because there are very little rappers were i'm at but plenty of wannabes.

that pretty lame... but yeah, one of the local rapper's I know actually freestyled for our music production/recording class the other day over a beat he had made over the weekend... it was a decent beat, and he had a pretty good voice for rap, but... his freestyling lyrics were all about making money, which, in my opnion, makes the lyrics invalid and meaningless