is gene simmons a good bassist

GUNSNROSES513

i always wondered that, you never here much about his history with the bass. so to the bassists out there or people who know is gene a good bassist.

I love his bass Solo on "God Of Thunder" it is a great bass solo.

He still can play bass good, but his voice is not as good as it used to be.

gene simmons is a hack.

they put on a great show, but gene simmons is by no means anything more than average. and his live tone sucks balls.

you want good bass? listen to jaco pastorious.

good rock bass? billy sheehan.

good rock bass that doesn't shred your balls off? tom hamilton or duff

gene simmons is a hack.

they put on a great show, but gene simmons is by no means anything more than average. and his live tone sucks balls.

he's not Stu Hamm or Billy Sheehan but he is a very solid rock n' roll bass player, and not a hack. he's very much in the mold of Paul McCartney with his use of active, melodic lines.

i do agree about his tone being odd. it's very mid-rangy and doesn't have any "boom" to it.

to your list of really good bass players, i'd add John Taylor of Duran Duran. seriously.

gene simmons is a hack.

he's not Stu Hamm or Billy Sheehan but he is a very solid rock n' roll bass player, and not a hack. he's very much in the mold of Paul McCartney with his use of active, melodic lines.

i do agree about his tone being odd. it's very mid-rangy and doesn't have any "boom" to it.

to your list of really good bass players, i'd add John Taylor of Duran Duran. seriously.

how i didn't mention paul mccartney is beyond me lol... but gene is no paul.

Duran Duran rocks!

In '76 I watched the demon from about the tenth row.

Not Simmons...the demon...he used to go completely into character and NOT come out of it for the entire show.

It was quite fascinating to watch actually.

He could go the longest time without looking down at his bass as he played while stalking around the stage,and he was playing some damn good melodic lines all the while.

I used to marvel at how he could do that.

He's no god of bass....but he's damn good.

In fact...somewhat underrated I'd venture to say.

Edited by zint61

Gene is a good bass player. He isn't the most technical player but his bass lines have some great melodies and fit the songs perfectly.

He also rarely makes mistakes on the bass lines live (his lyrics are another story). Even with the heavy costume and constant moving around he always seems to play the bass lines near (if not) perfectly.