The best Cult album

appetite4illusions

Listened to alot of The Cult's music this past week. Got a surge to go back to that great hard rock sound. Listening to them I really saw the change from their original sound to an AC/DC imitation. Which is cool in it's own right. AC/DC were an awesome band, but I'm torn as to which I like better. Their original sound on an album like Love which contains probably their best tune "she sells sanctuary" or their later albums Electric and Sonic Temple which have "Love removal machine" and "fire woman" respectively. So what's your opinion on the best album and music direction of this great underrated band.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this for a reason. The only Cult song I had ever heard was She Sells Sanctuary and never thought anymore of them. Over the week I've been listening to their album Sonic Temple, what a great album, has some great guitar hooks in it. I'm surprised this band was never bigger then it actually was.

I still adore this band.

Every album offers up something different (except for Sonic Temple & Ceremony which sound identical) and you can find that these guys never dug their heels in one style for too long. I've come to the conclusion that Love is the best all around album, I have a real affinity for that fx soaked psychedelia. I've since warmed up to their post eighties work and even play the self titled album quite a bit, BIT is pretty ace too.

Interestingly enough, one of their best songs can't even be found on any of their regular albums, and that's "The Witch".

I'm sure everybody is familiar with The Cult, if only because Guns opened for them on their Electric tour. I thought it'd be interesting to post some quotes from people who attended those shows and saw an early GNR, apparently they weren't as jazzed with them as the rest of the world was about to become:

(courtesy of cultcentral.com)

At the time unknown Guns N' Roses was the opening act. They (Guns N' Roses) sucked so bad that they had to end their set early.
I attended this concert and I can honestly say that it is in my top 2 concerts after going to 181 concerts so far in my life. Guns 'N Roses were unknowns who definitely had a bad sound. It sounded like they got to use 5% of the p.a.
Guns N' Roses was average playing quite a bit off of Appetite including Welcome To The Jungle, Paradise City, Your Crazy, etc... The highlight was a rather good version of Knocking On Heavens Door. The amusing part of this occured when Axl was singing the chorus and placing the microphone into the crowd on alternating versed "knock knock Knocken on heavens door" The first guy sang it correctly then Axl sang it then the next guy sang "knock knocken on heavens fucken door!" then Axl sang a verse and put the mic back down to an obviously un-interested concert goer who took the opportunity to ask "a, yea, a where's the cult?" at which time Axl said "Why don't you get the fuck out of my face!" and tried to kick the guy in the head.

:lol:

Edited by appetite4illusions

Every album offers up something different (except for Sonic Temple & Ceremony which sound identical) and you can find that these guys never dug their heels in one style for too long. I've come to the conclusion that Love is the best all around album

So how does Love compare to Sonic Temple? Just going off wikipedia (yes good old reliable wiki) it says fans and critics see Sonic Temple as the band at their peak?

My favourite band alongside Guns N' Roses, got all the albums :)

I'd have to say Love is the best album overall, totally dig the psychedelic vibe it has!

Next would be Electric for it's grittyness.

Third would be Sonic Temple as it is the most advanced in production and combines all their previous efforts into one.

Slightly off topic; anybody know any news on the next Cult album? Last I heard they were in the studio, hoping for a 2009 release...

EDIT:

Every album offers up something different (except for Sonic Temple & Ceremony which sound identical) and you can find that these guys never dug their heels in one style for too long. I've come to the conclusion that Love is the best all around album

So how does Love compare to Sonic Temple? Just going off wikipedia (yes good old reliable wiki) it says fans and critics see Sonic Temple as the band at their peak?

Love is the far better album, IMO. The reason wiki/critics say the opposite is because Sonic Temple was the biggest commercial success and blended all their previous sounds into one album, but I 100% think Love is far superior.

Edited by oxocubeingravy

One of my favorite bands and got to see them in 07 for their Born Into This tour. They still sound amazing.

I have the albums : Dreamtime, Love, Electric, Sonic Temple, and their newest Born into This.

Honestly these are all great because they all sound like The Cult but are different enough to not sound repetitive.

I dont think i could pick their "best" album because a lot of it has to do with just how i am feeling that day.

Their best known album and greatest success was Sonic Temple, but i find myself putting in Electric or Love more.

• 5 months later...

Going to see The Cult tomorrow for the 3rd time in Edinburgh. It's the "Love Live" tour where they are playing the classic Love album end to end. Probably my favourite alt rock album. Anyone here going? My mate got 2 tix but his old man can't go now so has an extra ticket. £30 face value. PM if anyone is interested.

cheers

Anyone lol? Will be in Edinburgh from just before 6 tonight. If anyone wants the ticket PM me before 4pm today and we can sort something out.

cheers

If I lived near you... :lol:

Doesn't matter. Got a tenner for it anyhow. Gig was great despite Billy having a face like a smacked arse for most of the night due to his wedge monitors being fucked. He eventually booted one off the stage during Love Removal Machine.

Great night.

• 2 weeks later...