2007 in Music

kevdo242

For you personality, how imnportant has this year been? Got into any new bands, grown out of any etc.

I think this was a great year for new music (Biffy, VR, White Stripes etc) and had all the reunions. Also, I saw loads of great bands live. I got into Biffy Clyro, as their new singles were released, and I've seen em twice now. Really into them now (I can't fuckin stop mentioning them). Also, got into Zepp again, the band that started everything for me.

I've also noticed that I'm getting into bands that I used to disrespect in the past. Like Green Day, I downloaded American Idiot and discovered its not half bad.

:)

Every year for me seems to give way to a new genre. Last year it was hair metal, this year it was grunge. It started with Velvet Revolver. After Hearing Just 16 I became a huge VR fan, bought both albums, and saw them live in August. I also saw Buckcherry in March, which was probably the best concert I have ever been to because I was right in front of the stage.

But yeah, Velvet Revolver. As I got more into them, I got into STP. STP led to Nirvana, Nirvana led to Pearl Jam, and next thing you know, I'm a huge grunge fan.

The other two acts I got into were Kanye West and The Killers.

The best albums I bought this year were Buckchery's "15" Nirvana's "Nevermind" and Kanye's "Graduation." Oh, and the Beatles "Love."

Good year for new releases - Kanye West's Graduation, Radiohead's In Rainbows, The Stooges' The Weirdness and The White Stripes' Icky Thump, in particular.

I've also expanded my music taste quite a bit, and gotten into and more into genres like jazz, baroque pop, rap, hip hop, blues, pop punk, reggae, acid rock, world music and soul.

My year has been great.

The first thing I did this year was discovering Klaxons. Which opened a whole new scene and music for me.

I've started listen to Electronica, Hip-hop, even more indie. Before that it was almost only 60's and 70's rock.

I've seen alot of great live acts this year aswell.

After being on the best BigBang gig of my life 21 december last year, I saw them a couple of months earlier on a very small club scene.

Greeted the band before the concert, requested a song and stuff. Great gig.

Then the summer came, and the Quart festival. Where I saw The Fucking Who! Man, Pete and Roger still rock.

I've always dreamed about seeing them, and finally in my own little city, Pete was 2 feet away from me.

The rain has never been more intense, but I couldn't care less.

At the same Festival I saw BigBang (again). The guitarist had the most insane stagedive ever.

I saw Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Good The Bad And The Queen, Datarock, Mew, Turbonegro (again), CKY, Motorpsycho,

Bestie Boys and a lot of other great bands.

In London I attended an NME party, which was cool. Does It Offend You? Yeah! did a gig there. I wish we had clubs like that in Norway.

In august I saw The Rolling Stones in front ot 40 000 people. Enough said.

This year was the best ever for me, musically at least. I saw my favourite band ever live in concert, got finally really into them beforehand, discovered most of their old stuff for me, and bought some really kick ass newly released stuff from them this year, like a soloalbum by the singer, a live dvd/concert movie and a 7 CD Livebox.

Of course I'm speaking of Guns N.... umm, no wait :lol: of course it's Pearl Jam. Best band ever imo.

Lots of stuff :). I'm constantly trying to find new and different bands that I might like and it's just something I enjoy doing these days.

Saw a few cool bands too (GN'R, Seb Bach, Alice Cooper and Motorhead from what I remember right now, although there are a few more that slip my mind).

I also started liking rap and really digging rapcore. So all is good in my world of music :).

This year in music...rather eye opening really

Concerts/Festivals - Bonnoroo 07, Rush, Smashing Pumpkins, Perry Ferrell + Satellite Party, Lots of Jazz Gigs - also played in a couple myself.

Genres Newly Interested In:

Americana/Bluegrass (Robert Plant + Allison Krause, Bele Fleck + Flecktones ect.)

Jazz (Cool, Fusion, Free, Bebop, Hard Bop, ect. especially Miles, Coltrane, Ornette Coleman)

Classical Indian (Ravi Shankar, Ghulam Ali, Nihil Bangeree (?))

Indian Fusion (Actually I haven't listened to any yet, but I do have about a gig to wade through still)

Death Metal (Decapitated, Cattle Decapitation, Death ect.)

Avante-Garde Metal (unXpect)

Alternative Metal/Grunge/Post Grunge? (Tool, A Perfect Circle, The Smashing Pumpkins)

Alternative Avante-Garde (Radiohead, Tom Waits, Buckethead)

Post Punk (The Smiths, The Cure, Morrissey)

Desert Blues (Ali Farka Toure + Ry Cooder)

Classical (Beethoven, Various Operas)

Post Rock (Current 93, Godspeed! You Black Emperor)

If any one is interested in getting into anything above I can relay some suggestions...I'm a fucking encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to some eclectic music

I have been suprised with myself this year.

Ive always been a Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith (70's), Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Stooges and Sex Pistols fanatic.

Out of curiosity I checked out The Black Crowes and now with every album in my collection, I am seeing them next year and obsessed with them.

Out of the Black Crowes, I now listen to artists such as Otis Redding and Muddy Waters to name a few.

I got to see Guns N' Roses.

I have also found a love for Pantera :)

duff21

Edited by duff_mckagan21

I have been suprised with myself this year.

Ive always been a Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith (70's), Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Stooges and Sex Pistols fanatic.

Out of curiosity I checked out The Black Crowes and now with every album in my collection, I am seeing them next year and obsessed with them.

Out of the Black Crowes, I now listen to artists such as Otis Redding and Muddy Waters to name a few.

I got to see Guns N' Roses.

I have also found a love for Pantera :)

duff21

I love the Black Crowes. One of my favorite songs is "She Talks to Angels" and "Remedy" is another great one

This year i got into rilo kiley, which in turn got me into jenny lewis and the watson twins (fukin great album). What/who else did i get into this year? I think the only other person was Gillian Welch, oh wait i got into brighteyes aswell, and the magnetic fields (69 love songs is a great album), got into martha wainright. All the other albums i bought were by bands/artists i was already into like Neil Young, Ryan Adams, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, dylan, the stones etc.

Edited by Midnight Rambler

i got into quiet a few bands this year.

Motley Crue, warrant, poison, dokken, VR, Aerosmith, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, DLR band...there are some more.

I really got into Glam this year...i know most glam bands and am into them

i dont think i grew out of any bands...

Edited by kingwillie

Good year for the reunion talks, etc...

...as for the new music scene, I may be the only one around here that thinks so but I think real rock music has taken a huge dump... I can't seem to get into any of the newer stuff at all....I'm scared to say that rock music as we know it will soon be considered "classic rock"...how sad....

:confused: