3 american bands to headline reading

fred_carston

This year’s Reading and Leeds festivals will be headlined by three American guitar bands.

Speaking to NME.COM, festival organiser Melvyn Benn gave a huge hint as to who the headliners might be.

“I can tell you that the headliners are American. All of them,” he explained.

“It would be fair to say that all three of the headliners have played Reading and Leeds before, not necessarily as headliners.

“I do know that there’s quite a lot of demand for them. So I think the fans will be very, very pleased with what we’ve got to offer.

“It’s not a debut headline position for one of the bands, and one of them has recently headlined.”

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/33778

This year’s Reading and Leeds festivals will be headlined by three American guitar bands.

Speaking to NME.COM, festival organiser Melvyn Benn gave a huge hint as to who the headliners might be.

“It would be fair to say that all three of the headliners have played Reading and Leeds before, not necessarily as headliners.

“I do know that there’s quite a lot of demand for them. So I think the fans will be very, very pleased with what we’ve got to offer.

“It’s not a debut headline position for one of the bands, and one of them has recently headlined.”

My bet is any 3 from Killers, Kings of Leon, My Chemical Romance, The White Stripes, Green Day, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins or The Strokes

Ok...I am not really a huge fan of most of these bands....so I stand corrected in they are already busy touring somewhere else, are recording or have split up!

Edited by Towserhead

Seriously doubt it the way things are going at the moment. Besides, from what I remember their last UK festival headline slot wasn't exactly the best. Last time at Leeds everyone was excited but that was about 6 years ago so it's not all that recent.

I can't believe it was that long ago. I had a really good time, all things considered. :book:

My bet is any 3 from Killers, Kings of Leon, My Chemical Romance, The White Stripes, Green Day, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins or The Strokes

Ok...I am not really a huge fan of most of these bands....so I stand corrected in they are already busy touring somewhere else, are recording or have split up!

lol and wouldnt that be a letdown

Rage and Metallica are also confirmed for ROCK AM RING / GERMANY, so it's pretty obvious that they will play at the most other european festivals too. I think the third headliner for the Reading and Leeds festivals will be the Foo Fighters.

Edited by misch

He said the acts for the festivals, which will happen as usual over the August Bank holiday weekend from Friday 22nd to Sunday 24th August, were 'in place'. Mr Benn let slip in the interview that, "Interesting this year is that, probably for the first time, in my memory, we're actually going with three American headliners."

eFestivals believes two of these American acts will be Metallica, and Rage Against The Machine. The third headliner could possibly be fellow Americans, The Killers.

We'll of course have all the details when formally announced, expected sometime in March.

He also confirmed the earlier eFestivals story that there will not be a sponsor replacement for previous backer Carling.

"I wanted it to be, as I'm sure fans wanted it to be, slightly less corporate," Mr Benn, the managing director of concert organiser Festival Republic, told listeners, "I wanted to reclaim the name Reading Festival and the name Leeds Festival. I wanted them to return to their roots, so to speak. I didn't want the events to be called after a sponsor. I'm not asking another sponsor to come in."

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/080121c.shtml

I doubt it'll be GNR. There wasn't exactly a mad rush of people to see them at Download in 06. 'In demand' doesn't really describe them these days.

Oh please, you're just a negative nancy. The crowd seemed pretty full looking at the video from the event, where did you get that information?

I was there mate. I had no trouble strolling to the front. I couldn't do that for Metallica. It took a while for the crowd to build after they started.

Edited by ADPT

I doubt it'll be GNR. There wasn't exactly a mad rush of people to see them at Download in 06. 'In demand' doesn't really describe them these days.

Oh please, you're just a negative nancy. The crowd seemed pretty full looking at the video from the event, where did you get that information?

I was there mate. I had no trouble strolling to the front. I couldn't do that for Metallica. It took a while for the crowd to build after they started.

Don't forget about this: