Michael Jackson

Vincent Vega

It's so sad, such a beautiful creative mind went the way it is. Thriller is a classic. His other albums, I don't know. Maybe it's just me but while Thriller and it's songs seem timeless, his later songs (like Black or White, Smooth Criminal), while good, seem really dated and really cheesy early '90s.

Dangerous was a damn good album, 1/2 of that album are the producer's songs which date it but the other half which is Michael's own work is awesome. Everything after Dangerous wasn't that great but Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous were excellent albums.

It's a shame what happened to him...like Axl....the power and fame went to his head. His problem...once again like Axl...is that he keeps overproducing his records instead of going with a stripped down organic sound. His latter albums sound soulless because of this.

Dangerous was a damn good album, 1/2 of that album are the producer's songs which date it but the other half which is Michael's own work is awesome. Everything after Dangerous wasn't that great but Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous were excellent albums.It's a shame what happened to him...like Axl....the power and fame went to his head. His problem...once again like Axl...is that he keeps overproducing his records instead of going with a stripped down organic sound. His latter albums sound soulless because of this.

Dangerous and Bad were both great albums. T

They are just judge so harshly because Thriller is a "Greatest Record of Alltime.

People forget that those 2 albums ruled the radio and MTV, back when they were released.

As for what has happen to Micheal in his personal life; You guys should do a little research. Read the indictments and some of the charges that were leveled against Micheal.

They are as bogus as the charges brought as the Duke Lacrosse Players.

The parents of both kids in both cases, were criminals and just all around shady people.

Dangerous was a damn good album, 1/2 of that album are the producer's songs which date it but the other half which is Michael's own work is awesome. Everything after Dangerous wasn't that great but Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous were excellent albums.It's a shame what happened to him...like Axl....the power and fame went to his head. His problem...once again like Axl...is that he keeps overproducing his records instead of going with a stripped down organic sound. His latter albums sound soulless because of this.

Dangerous and Bad were both great albums. T

They are just judge so harshly because Thriller is a "Greatest Record of Alltime.

People forget that those 2 albums ruled the radio and MTV, back when they were released.

As for what has happen to Micheal in his personal life; You guys should do a little research. Read the indictments and some of the charges that were leveled against Micheal.

They are as bogus as the charges brought as the Duke Lacrosse Players.

The parents of both kids in both cases, were criminals and just all around shady people.

Which even if true, has nothing to do with what was said. There are a million examples of how shit went to his head that do not involve allegations of raping children.

I actually think Invincible was a big step up from his '90s work - The production was spectacular, and lyrically he was much less paranoid than on either Dangerous or HIStory (his weakest albums IMO).

Off the Wall and Thriller though... man, perfect albums. Can't decide which one's better.

I actually think Invincible was a big step up from his '90s work - The production was spectacular, and lyrically he was much less paranoid than on either Dangerous or HIStory (his weakest albums IMO).

Off the Wall and Thriller though... man, perfect albums. Can't decide which one's better.

Thank you. Invincible deserves some credit. It's not his strongest effort obviously, but it's still a damn good album. I'm hoping his new album is awesome.

Thank you. Invincible deserves some credit. It's not his strongest effort obviously, but it's still a damn good album. I'm hoping his new album is awesome.

there's too much hip hop influence on his new stuff though...I wish he'd go back to his classic r&b style...

MJ needs to quit working with clowns like Akorn and Will I Am and get back in the studio with Quincy Jones and Dr Dre (I think Dre could come up with the right beats for MJ).

Quincy wouldn't touch MJ with a barge pole. Those days are over man. He keeps thinking that the only way to revitalize his career is to hook up with the hottest producer of the minute. He should just focus on putting out an honest record without 10 million dollars worth of production bells and whistles...

MJ needs to quit working with clowns like Akorn and Will I Am and get back in the studio with Quincy Jones and Dr Dre (I think Dre could come up with the right beats for MJ).

Quincy wouldn't touch MJ with a barge pole. Those days are over man. He keeps thinking that the only way to revitalize his career is to hook up with the hottest producer of the minute. He should just focus on putting out an honest record without 10 million dollars worth of production bells and whistles...

I agree with you, and I can think of somebody else who should do that too, but his name escapes me.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I heard in an interview with Prince, that MJ wanted to do a double bill tour with him to sort of relaunch MJ's career again. Prince declined for a few reasons which I don't specifically remember, but he told MJ that he should do some acoustic shows... like MTV unplugged type deals, and just showcase his voice.

I thought it was a cool idea. As someone said, his albums became too produced and perfectionist, and it would be cool to see the raw talent of the man behind it all.

Edited by Ant

I disagree. I like Invincible, but HIStory was 10x better. Really underrated album, imo.

Personally, I think most of Michael Jackson's fan-base have given him the benefit of the doubt regarding the allegations that have followed him for the past ten years. There's no plot or conspiracy relative to his fall from grace in terms of musical expectations. In actuality, I argue that his career has suffered on the charts simply because he stopped making dance-orientated records. When Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal were replaced by Earth Song and The Lost Children, fans were disillusioned. They did not want to listen to an artist who redefined the notion of pop music, cry endlessly about helpless orphans, the media's witch-hunt against him, or what he, as a Christ-like martyr, is going to do to heal the world. They want a groove they can dance to; a beat that will destroy their sound system; a voice that they remember. They want Michael Jackson as the badass steppin' machine he once was. This nonsense of working with Prince and using rappers to revive his career is not going to work..

What Jackson needs to do is collaborate with a contemporary producer that can tap into those deeply loved 80's elements. Timbaland is the obvious choice, as his production on FutureSex/LoveSounds parallels that of Off The Wall and Thriller. When Jackson ceases to be the Man in the Mirror and puts his fedora back on, the world will be at his feet once again. Unfortunately, I don't think he has the capacity to realize how easy his comeback can be, which is why he has released nothing but "Best Of" albums for the past 7 years..

-Kickingthehabit

Personally, I think most of Michael Jackson's fan-base have given him the benefit of the doubt regarding the allegations that have followed him for the past ten years. There's no plot or conspiracy relative to his fall from grace in terms of musical expectations. In actuality, I argue that his career has suffered on the charts simply because he stopped making dance-orientated records. When Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal were replaced by Earth Song and The Lost Children, fans were disillusioned. They did not want to listen to an artist who redefined the notion of pop music, cry endlessly about helpless orphans, the media's witch-hunt against him, or what he, as a Christ-like martyr, is going to do to heal the world. They want a groove they can dance to; a beat that will destroy their sound system; a voice that they remember. They want Michael Jackson as the badass steppin' machine he once was. This nonsense of working with Prince and using rappers to revive his career is not going to work..

What Jackson needs to do is collaborate with a contemporary producer that can tap into those deeply loved 80's elements. Timbaland is the obvious choice, as his production on FutureSex/LoveSounds parallels that of Off The Wall and Thriller. When Jackson ceases to be the Man in the Mirror and puts his fedora back on, the world will be at his feet once again. Unfortunately, I don't think he has the capacity to realize how easy his comeback can be, which is why he has released nothing but "Best Of" albums for the past 7 years..

-Kickingthehabit

Great post. Much of the songs on Justin Timberlake's first album was comprised of jackson-rejects. We all know what a big hit that album turned out to be.

Timbaland would be a great producer for MJ to hook up with. I loved his contributions to Nelly Furtado's album "Loose"...