Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I-IV

BrandNewCadillac

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/home

Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Trent Reznor explains, "I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

The site seems to be going down a lot right now, but I managed to access it after a while. According to it's article on Wikipedia, "Ghosts I, which contains the first nine tracks, is available for free online. The entire album can be downloaded for $5, a double-CD can be ordered for $10, a deluxe edition can be ordered for $70, and a "ultra-deluxe limited edition" can be ordered for $300."

I'll download tomorrow, when the buzz has died down. Very interested in seeing where Trent is going with this.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/home

Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Trent Reznor explains, "I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

The site seems to be going down a lot right now, but I managed to access it after a while. According to it's article on Wikipedia, "Ghosts I, which contains the first nine tracks, is available for free online. The entire album can be downloaded for $5, a double-CD can be ordered for $10, a deluxe edition can be ordered for $70, and a "ultra-deluxe limited edition" can be ordered for $300."

I'll download tomorrow, when the buzz has died down. Very interested in seeing where Trent is going with this.

I will own the CD.

Just wait till it's on a torrent site. I'll buy the album when it hits stores but I'm not paying anything for mp3's. I downloaded the Radiohead album for free and bought it when the cd came out. Trent charging $300 for a limited edition album is fucking bullshit too.

Edited by Randy Lahey

After reading what you get in the $300 limited edition set I must admit that my earlier comment was out of line. It'll be interesting to see how this works out for Trent.

I'm downloading the first nine tracks right now and I'm really looking forward to listening to them. What an unexpected bonus this is.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Thoughts on it?

I'm not real impressed so far to be honest - it's kind of like the instrumental stuff from The Fragile, which I was never a huge fan of.

I'm a big fan of ambient music so I can admire what he's attempting here, but NIN's stuff is so dark and unsettling that it doesn't really work very well as ambient. It's too engaging. And when you actually pay attention to this stuff - you realize it's not that great.

But hey - the thought behind it is awesome and I hope Year Zero II is released this way. I thought the first part was the best NIN album yet so I'm interested to see how much more Trent pumps out given his freedom from record labels.

Thoughts on it?

I'm not real impressed so far to be honest - it's kind of like the instrumental stuff from The Fragile, which I was never a huge fan of.

Well, The Fragile happens to be one of my favorite albums of all time, so naturally I love Ghosts.

After reading what you get in the $300 limited edition set I must admit that my earlier comment was out of line. It'll be interesting to see how this works out for Trent.

What does it come with?

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/order_options

Ghosts I-IV in a hardcover fabric slipcase containing: 2 audio CDs, 1 data DVD with all 36 tracks in multi-track format, and a Blu-ray disc with Ghosts I-IV in high-definition 96/24 stereo and accompanying slideshow. Exclusive four-LP 180 gram vinyl set in a fabric slipcase, and two exclusive limited edition Giclee prints in a luxurious package. Limited to 2500 pieces, numbered and signed by Trent Reznor.

This should be how bands release records from here on out.

Yeah!

...fuck low income people who don't have access to a computer or can't afford internet service.

Although - considering a CD is typically in the price range of $16 - $18 for a new release (depending on where you shop - and Wal-Mart doesn't sell explicit CDs so prices would be higher on NIN) - you could actually put that money towards paying for Internet access. Three or four CDs a month may seem like a small amount, but add them up, and before long you're spending a lot. Basic computers nowadays can be purchased for a couple hundred dollars for a complete setup - and low income families can often get free computers anyway depending on your circumstances.

Just a different way of looking at it... I don't altogether disagree with you, but I think within the next ten years even the lowest income families will be living in a digital age. It's rapidly moving forward and before long computers are going to become fully integrated into daily life.

well i ordered the 2-CD option....when i got my downlaod link it didnt finish dowloading, now the site is down

i guess ill have to wait 'til i actually get the CDs to hear it :(

Hint Hint, try a bit torrent site like Mininova.

Madison where are you? I thought you were a big NIN fan? I saw NIN on The Fragile tour when Robin was the guitar player. That's still one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Although - considering a CD is typically in the price range of $16 - $18 for a new release (depending on where you shop - and Wal-Mart doesn't sell explicit CDs so prices would be higher on NIN) - you could actually put that money towards paying for Internet access. Three or four CDs a month may seem like a small amount, but add them up, and before long you're spending a lot.

So...people who can afford to buy three cd's a month,should give up those 3 cd's so they can purchase interent access in order to spend more money to purchase music online?

awesome idea!

Basic computers nowadays can be purchased for a couple hundred dollars for a complete setup

That's a lot of food and rent money for some people.Fuck man...there are people who have to choose between rent or hydro.

I feel sorry for the kids who have a paper route,they won't be able to save up their money to go buy one new cd??...they'll have to buy internet access in order to get that new cd??...that's pretty fucked up in my books.

- and low income families can often get free computers anyway depending on your circumstances.

yeah,depending on your circumstances...and is that happening on a global scale?

Free computers...how awesome to have a free computer in the house and not be able to afford hooking up to the internet.Sucks to be a NIN fan in those circumstances right now.

Just a different way of looking at it... I don't altogether disagree with you, but I think within the next ten years even the lowest income families will be living in a digital age. It's rapidly moving forward and before long computers are going to become fully integrated into daily life.

The telephone is fully integrated into everyday life.I still know people who have to decide between feeding the kids and hooking up the phone.People who had good paying jobs and lost them to plant closures etc. and are still having trouble landing on their feet.

Television is fully integrated into everyday life...not everyone can afford cable.

When I was a kid there was a long period where we were actually quite strapped for money.Very low income.In fact...we lived through those times where we had to choose between food or cable.

When I was 10 and 11 I'd forfeit toys as presents in favour of records.

Thank god my Mom didn't have to have internet access to get me that new Alice Cooper or Stones record for my birthday...I would have been shit out of luck.

I don't have anything against new technology..I don't have a problem at all with torrents as an option to BUYING new music.

But I abhor the notion of the record industry becoming an exclusive club for those who can afford internet access.It sends an ugly message to me...in more ways than one.

I personally enjoy the process of leaving the house and interacting with other human beings as I browse the shelves in a record store.Maybe the notion of staying connected to society on certain levels is becoming old fashioned,but I enjoy it.

But I really have a fucking problem with Trent Reznor and Radiohead telling me I can fuck right off if I can't afford internet access.

I'd prefer to have the option of being able to buy ONE cd in a store without having to spend money on internet access...to buy that ONE cd.

Edited by zint61