Van Halen Cancel rest of tour?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got awesome VH tix for Friday and incredibly psyched. Those of you who have caught this tour, what time do they take the stage?

8:30 sharp. Have a good time.

Thanks Jonezy, much appreciated. You goin' to the show?

Saw them last month in St. Louis. I guess you're going to the Chicago show? 2nd to the last show, maybe they'll do something special for ya. Its a 2 hour set, suggest a piss and beer break at 8:15 and get ready to rock!

In the early part of the tour,in between the opening band and VH there were two radio controlled mini blimps (with the VH logo) flying through the crowd.

Not sure if they are still using them or not..

In the early part of the tour,in between the opening band and VH there were two radio controlled mini blimps (with the VH logo) flying through the crowd.

Not sure if they are still using them or not..

Yep, the twin black VH blimps were flyin' around Allstate Arena during the wait for VH who hit the stage at exactly 8:30pm as Jonezy said. I mean, it was literally 8:30 to the minute.

What a monster show that is--they kept to the same setlist which is great since there's no reason to fuck with perfection. Even though they'd been getting mostly excellent reviews, gotta say I was blown away by both Dave and Eddie. Unlike that review of the Meadlowland's gig, DLR's vocals were stellar all night which is amazing considering his age, the material and blazing pace of the show. And WTF about Diamond Dave's abs--I don't usually check out another dude's bod, but Dave's abs and chest almost freakishly ripped, let alone for a 53 yr old. Physically, both he and Ed look like they're in fightin' shape for sure. EVH played with furious, flawless precision all night--what a FREAK that guy is when he is on. His version of Eruption seemed to go on about 20-25 mins and was killer with the giant video monitor focused in tightly on his hands throughout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVkf1CrLnlw

Still can't believe he and Dave are this ON right now. Hopefully they make good on Ed's quote in a recent interview where he said he expects them to hit the studio not long after the end of the tour(only 1 show left). What a complete bonus it would be to get another 2-3 albums out of these guys.

No doubt Wolfie has the chops and before long he's gonna have a massive career in rock. Seems like a really nice kid, too. Seems he gets a real kick out of Dave(who wouldn't) based on several moments in the show.

BUT, all that said, Wolfie looks COMPLETETLY out of place in this band and on this tour. It's cool to have the dynamic with he and Ed, but he just looks way too young and doesn't yet have the stage presence to be a strong fill in, IMO. If he didn't stick out based purely on his very young appearance(looks more 14 than 17), don't think I woulda ever noticed him the whole show. Woulda been much cooler and appropriate to have MA on bass and then have Wolfie come out and join them for a 1-3 song section.

The only other slight negative was that hideous jacket Dave starts in and fortunately sheds 5-6 songs in, though he does go back to it toward the end.

But a phenominal show. Hadn't seen DLR and Ed together live for 20 years and they blew past all expectations. Now we need a new record...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Didn't notice any backing track. Not saying it coudn't have been there, but that never came to mind.

Given it being the tail end of the tour and all, if his voice had been shot to the point where he wanted some minor background enhancement rather than having to cancel the gig, can't say I woulda minded too much.

But really don't think he had any help. They changed up most songs from the records with new middle sections, extended instrumentals, etc.

It didn't all sound studio quality, but definitely and distinctly Dave...

Edited by Turn_It_Up